Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | OPEK HR-603VU Help

Reviews Summary for OPEK HR-603VU
OPEK HR-603VU Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $15.50
Description:
# FREQUENCY: 144-148/440-450MHz
# WHIP: Shape Memory Alloy
# CONNECTOR: SMA or BNC Male
# LENGTH: 17"
More info: http://www.opektech.com/RubberDuckAntennas.html

You can write your own review of the OPEK HR-603VU.

KC7NOA Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2015 13:13 Send this review to a friend
good unless you drop your HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iv had 2 of these antenna's .. going to be 3 if i cant repair it.

its only drawback is this -- if you drop your HT on the top ... ie where the antenna jack is at ... the antenna bends over so far that it cant bend back. It breaks off right at the thicker BNC connector.

AD1ET Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Only $15!! Are they nuts?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really do not understand 1 star ratings for products that do not work out of box. Who knows what happened. Give the product a break. I paid $15 bucks for this to use on a Baofeng UV-5Ra and it works great on that radio and on my Icom IT 70A. Everybody seems to be raving over the $50 + Diamonds but can they be 3 times this good? I sincerely doubt it but maybe. I hit a repeater at 26 miles on both UHF and VHF no statuc, full quieting with both radios and this little wire whip. Try it. You'll like it.

KD0NRC Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2012 05:31 Send this review to a friend
A solid whip  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Yaesu VX-2 and VX-7R. I noticed something similar to KD5BFE on my VX-2: It really doesn't work well on it, especially on UHF. On my VX-7, however, especially on the lower power settings, the 603VU shows its true colors: It's a formidable antenna! It might have something to do with the fact that the VX-2 is a plastic-bodied talkie, and the metal body of the VX-7R turns the operator into a ground plane, but this is speculation on my part. I've used this antenna with a clip-on SMA extension attached to my bicycle's rear rack and car door windows a few times, and it seems to work just as well as my smaller 1/4 wave magnet mount antenna. I've made some really good UHF simplex contacts that way.

The black plastic tip and the antenna covering started to slip off of mine after a few weeks of use, so I'd recommend not picking up your radio by this antenna. I simply bought a few feet of brightly-colored 3/32 shrink tubing and re-covered the antenna. This worked well, and now it's also easier to see.

W4MPT Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2010 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this antenna on my Kenwood TH-78A dual bander, and it does the job very well. Practically identical to the Comet BNC/SMA-24. Purported specs are 1/4 wave on 2 meters and 5/8 on 70cm. Gain reported to be 2.15 and 5.3 dBi, and handles up to 20 watts. Has a slight edge over the Diamond rh77ca, mostly due to the Diamond only having unity gain on 2. Makes a big difference with only 5 watts output! Very highly recommended to my fellow 78a owners, puts very little strain on the poorly designed BNC mount.

AD0AC Rating: 0/5 Jan 23, 2010 20:56 Send this review to a friend
DOA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Must be a bad one because the stock antenna on my VX-2R easily outperforms this one. I guess I should have paid the extra five bucks for the Comet or Diamond, now I get to spend another five bucks returning this dummy load and exchanging for a better brand. I wanted a better antenna for use on the road and getting stations on the lower receive bands my radio is capable of tuning in.

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2009 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice replacement!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it on a "whim" @ Hamfest to replace FT-60 stock "duck", great decision... much improved send & receive.. Bonus: you don't get "poked" in the side while HT on your belt..

K5DRH Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2008 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Good receiving antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will compare the OPEK HR-603VU to the Diamond RH77CA. The OPEK is slightly longer at 17" and also gets a stronger signal from local repeaters. The Diamond is thicker, not as flexible and measures 14.75". I compared both 2M and 70CM reception. The OPEK is a smaller diameter making it more flexible and it waves around more than the Diamond. Being thicker and heavier the Diamond seems more sturdily built. I'm happy with both, they each have good qualities, just the OPEK can grab more signal and it shows on the strength meter. Radio used is an ICOM IC-W32A. The Diamond was purchased through Universal while the OPEK was picked up at Austin Amateur.