Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Collins Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Collins Radio
Collins Radio Reviews: 92 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: For all your Collins repair and restoration needs, please contact me.

My speciality is the S-Line and KWM-2 equipment. Collins parts on stock, both new and used - please inquire on availability or from other sources. I know that many of you are new to Collins so if I can assist you, please feel free to call me at (814) 487-4403.

Also, allow me to assist you in buying or selling your Collins.

We are located near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. Visitors to the Collins Radio Center are always welcome Drop off your Collins for repair/restoration if you wish.

Thank you - David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA, editor of the Collins Journal and secretary to the CRA.

Join the largest Collins organization in the world today at www collinsra.com. Our email address is collinsradio@comcast.net

More info: http://collinsra.org/home/

You can write your own review of the Collins Radio.

K4BSK Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 12:47 Send this review to a friend
32s3 repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dave did a great job with my 32S3. He met the tedious challenge of replacing the failed antenna change over relay. He was not satisfied just addressing the electrical needs. He meticulously cleaned the chassis and case. I appreciated his phone calls to keep me informed of progress. I now have a new friend.

W6RKE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2018 20:14 Send this review to a friend
75S-1 repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
When one has a respected Collins piece of equipment, it is a privilege appreciated by others who share your same good fortune.

If the time comes that your Collins needs attention beyond your capabilities, you must seek the most qualified person. I was fortunate to learn of David Knepper W3ST.

My Collins 75S-1 belonged to a childhood friend who was given it by his parents in either 1959 or 1960 when he got his license. He and I would delight in using it during our start of our amateur radio days.

In the early 2000ís, I was able to get this receiver from him and after so many years, it needed some attention. Here is where David Knepper entered the picture.

David and I had several cordial phone conversations and I sent my receiver to him. He gave it his careful examination and has restored it to proper operating condition. In addition to Davidís Collins expertise, he is guided with a strong desire to keep this equipment in the hands of people who appreciate it.

During the service, the PTO was disassembled, cleaned, given proper lubrication. Several components were replaced. The receiver was given a proper alignment and proof of performance according to Collins specifications.

KE8FLM Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2017 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Superb Repairman, Gentleman and Scholar   Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave recently serviced my prized Collins 51J-4 receiver that I purchased off eBay. The radio had not been aligned since 1997. I dropped the boat anchor off at his shop/museum nestled in the beautiful Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania. Dave was a great communicator and gave me a weekly progress report on its condition. The unit was only out of service for less than a month. Dave also arrange to have my radio shipped back to me by one of his friends who was passing threw the state at the time. This was definitely above and beyond the call of duty. Once the radio was in my possession Iíd have to say it was like new electrically and mechanically. And like a true craftsman you could not tell the receiver was opened up. The opportunity to take advantage of his years of experience, vast knowledge and skill on a vintage piece of equipment is truly a rare find in todayís electronic age.

WA2PJF Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2017 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Today my Collins KWM-2 was repaired by Mr. David Knepper. I am very pleased as to the "outstanding workmanship" of this very talented person.
Be advise, "he" is in fact, very thorough and precise, when working on a piece of Collins radio equipment.
"IF" .....you want the job done "correctly" David Knepper is..... "THE MAN !"

N5KX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Result  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dave Knepper repaired my radio in good time and for a reasonable price. I don't know how anyone could ask for more than that.

K1VVC Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2017 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Collins repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave has recently repaired 3 radios for me and I'm pleased with the results.

K8FE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2017 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Repair KWM-2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thanks to Dave Knepper for a fine job repairing my KWM-2 with a vox problem. If you are having problems with your Collins Radio, contact Dave.
K8FE

K8FE Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2017 15:05 Send this review to a friend
32S-1 Repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dave Knepper did a great job repairing my 32S-1 transmitter which had a difficult VOX problem. I would highly recommend his services.
K8FE

AF4WH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over my 50 years + of being a member of the ham fraternity, I have had the need to receive assistance with many pieces of amateur radio equipment over the years. Recently I had the idea of recreating the rig I had when I was in college, back in the early 1970's. My old Collin S line was an absolute favorite, and I spent many hours operating and enjoying it.

However, trying to buy 40-50 year old equipment and have it function like new was not a simple proposition, at least until I discovered Dave Knepper and his Collins Radio operation. The marvelous gentleman began by warning me it would be some time before he would even look at my gear (which is typical of a truly good repair person), but graciously permitted me to send it so it would be there when he was ready. Over the next couple of weeks I received phone call and emails updating his progress, keeping me updated of the issues and the successes. In less time than I expected 32S-3, 516F-2, and 73S3-c we returned to me in excellent condition. By the way, these had all been purchased as "in good working condition" from a variety of sources, but NOT ONE of them actually functioned anything like the way it was designed to.

If you are looking for a quality repair to your Collins equipment, you owe it to yourself to be sure to check out Dave at Collins Radio.

AF1Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 07:05 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A rehab  Time owned: more than 12 months
My KWM-2A ( round, etc.) and a few other pieces of s-line equipment have been sending me a message for awhile- play me or trade me! Cant bear to let them go, so I started looking for someone who is really up on the learning curve to work on the KWM-2. Thats Knepper. If I could give him a ten, I would do that. This thing was working when he got it, but in many phone conversations, Dave identified several things I was not aware of. Long story, but over a period of several months, and I'm in no hurry, he replaced all of the ceramic trimmers, a bandswitch shaft, and lots of stuff under the PA cage which was completely out of tolerance. Now this radio sounds as it should, and tuning and general operation is as new. I'm hoping I can get in line to have at least one S-line done the same way, have to let Dave catch his breath after this one. And I also enjoyed talking politics with him!