Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Collins Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Collins Radio
Collins Radio Reviews: 87 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: For all your Collins repair and restoration needs, please contact me.

My speciality is the S-Line and KWM-2 equipment. Collins parts on stock, both new and used - please inquire on availability or from other sources. I know that many of you are new to Collins so if I can assist you, please feel free to call me at (814) 487-4403.

Also, allow me to assist you in buying or selling your Collins.

We are located near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. Visitors to the Collins Radio Center are always welcome Drop off your Collins for repair/restoration if you wish.

Thank you - David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA, editor of the Collins Journal and secretary to the CRA.

Join the largest Collins organization in the world today at www collinsra.com. Our email address is collinsradio@comcast.net

More info: http://www.collinsra.com

You can write your own review of the Collins Radio.

K1VVC Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2017 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Collins repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dave has recently repaired 3 radios for me and I'm pleased with the results.

K8FE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2017 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Repair KWM-2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thanks to Dave Knepper for a fine job repairing my KWM-2 with a vox problem. If you are having problems with your Collins Radio, contact Dave.
K8FE

K8FE Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2017 15:05 Send this review to a friend
32S-1 Repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dave Knepper did a great job repairing my 32S-1 transmitter which had a difficult VOX problem. I would highly recommend his services.
K8FE

AF4WH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over my 50 years + of being a member of the ham fraternity, I have had the need to receive assistance with many pieces of amateur radio equipment over the years. Recently I had the idea of recreating the rig I had when I was in college, back in the early 1970's. My old Collin S line was an absolute favorite, and I spent many hours operating and enjoying it.

However, trying to buy 40-50 year old equipment and have it function like new was not a simple proposition, at least until I discovered Dave Knepper and his Collins Radio operation. The marvelous gentleman began by warning me it would be some time before he would even look at my gear (which is typical of a truly good repair person), but graciously permitted me to send it so it would be there when he was ready. Over the next couple of weeks I received phone call and emails updating his progress, keeping me updated of the issues and the successes. In less time than I expected 32S-3, 516F-2, and 73S3-c we returned to me in excellent condition. By the way, these had all been purchased as "in good working condition" from a variety of sources, but NOT ONE of them actually functioned anything like the way it was designed to.

If you are looking for a quality repair to your Collins equipment, you owe it to yourself to be sure to check out Dave at Collins Radio.

AF1Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 07:05 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A rehab  Time owned: more than 12 months
My KWM-2A ( round, etc.) and a few other pieces of s-line equipment have been sending me a message for awhile- play me or trade me! Cant bear to let them go, so I started looking for someone who is really up on the learning curve to work on the KWM-2. Thats Knepper. If I could give him a ten, I would do that. This thing was working when he got it, but in many phone conversations, Dave identified several things I was not aware of. Long story, but over a period of several months, and I'm in no hurry, he replaced all of the ceramic trimmers, a bandswitch shaft, and lots of stuff under the PA cage which was completely out of tolerance. Now this radio sounds as it should, and tuning and general operation is as new. I'm hoping I can get in line to have at least one S-line done the same way, have to let Dave catch his breath after this one. And I also enjoyed talking politics with him!

KA1VE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2017 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
David did a very fine job repairing my Collins 32S-3 transmitter. His turn-around-time was shockingly fast for a vintage radio repair and I was back up on the air in no time. Also amazing was the personal attention he devoted to the project, involving several lengthy phone calls and a follow up call after the repair to make sure the rig was running properly. Along the way he also gave me many good tips about Collins gear in general. This was very useful to me as someone new to Collins. A very pleasant guy to deal with and someone I would hire again. 73, de W1ZF (formerly KA1VE)

WA2PJF Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2016 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had various Collins radios repaired by David Knepper W3ST. I am totally pleased with his workmanship. He is an "outstanding" repairman. I will be using his services again in the "very near" future.
If you want the job done correctly (the first time) .......call upon Mr. David Knepper !
The Collins Radio King !

W5CL Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Repair of KWM-2A by W3ST David  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Collins KWM-2A round emblem to David W3ST for a going over. This was a old military surplus buy. Still had military crystals in it. I had plenty of ham crystal so I switch out to amateur crystals. I talk to David for over a hour on different phone calls. I sent David the KWM-2A just told him to go complete Thur it and try and get it clean and working like a new one. BOY did he do a good job and at a reasonable figure. ALL I can say is Thank You again over and over also the complete kit for the Collins 30-L1 worked like a charm can't return your friend call. Thank You again.

N3NNL Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2016 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Absolute Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Dave my 51S-1 receiver that needed some attention. Dave fixed it and had back to me in a week. Dave has fixed other Collins equipment for me and I always am very satisfied with his work. If Dave doesn't know about it Collins never made.
Thanks Dave.

K3MEJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2016 16:25 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my KWM2a to David and found a new friend. He is great to talk with. He did a great job on my radio. He went above and beyond. It came back looking and working perfectly.