Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Collins Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Collins Radio
Collins Radio Reviews: 87 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: For all your Collins repair and restoration needs, please contact me.

My speciality is the S-Line and KWM-2 equipment. Collins parts on stock, both new and used - please inquire on availability or from other sources. I know that many of you are new to Collins so if I can assist you, please feel free to call me at (814) 487-4403.

Also, allow me to assist you in buying or selling your Collins.

We are located near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. Visitors to the Collins Radio Center are always welcome Drop off your Collins for repair/restoration if you wish.

Thank you - David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA, editor of the Collins Journal and secretary to the CRA.

Join the largest Collins organization in the world today at www collinsra.com. Our email address is collinsradio@comcast.net

More info: http://www.collinsra.com

You can write your own review of the Collins Radio.

N4OT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second time that I have used Dave Knepper for repairing Collins gear. Once again, his communication, explanation, as well as the actual repair was AGAIN truly OUTSTANDING. And most important to me… affordable. Not to mention, he was a pleasure to speak to and learn from. Worth the cost of repairs alone.

David, called me several times explaining the problem which he diagnosed quickly and had it repaired (with parts he had in his vast inventory) fully tested and ready to mail back to me (packed better then I sent it) IN LESS THAN A WEEK!! (I don’t always expect this kind of turn-around, but he did it this time) 110% satisfied. Again !

If you not getting this kind of service from your repair guy… Call Dave Knepper ! Check out the “Collins Radio Association” http://www.collinsra.org/home/

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
51S-1  Time owned: months
This time I put Dave to the ultimate test. Sent him a working 51S-1 that had numerous issues, both cosmetically and operationally. Dave was up to the task and did a great job as always. Inside was cleaned and looks almost new, now receives on all bands, and can hardly tell there was a huge scratch on the face plate. Very pleased.

KB0USA Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 08:54 Send this review to a friend
David Lives and Breathes Collins   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
David is tenacious in de-bugging whatever issues your radio presents. He is thorough in diagnosis and repair, stays in contact as he progresses. His fees are very fair. Save yourself time, money and aggravation by calling David at the first signs of a problem,minor or full restoration. David is a Pro!

N4TMM Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought a 32S1 from an estate sale and it had some problems. After some troubleshooting and comparing notes with friends, I decided the smart thing to do was put it in the hands of someone who knows the ropes. After some research, I called David Knepper and chatted with him about the transmitter and what may be wrong. I sent it to him and a couple of weeks later it came back in excellent shape. During the time he was working on it, he called and we would chat about what he was finding - very useful information for me. The transmitter, which I love like all my Collins gear, works great on all bands; even all the knobs turn more smoothly and the little bit of dust that was inside, gone. Beautiful work. I was also very pleased with what he charged. I highly recommend his work based on this very positive experience. Jim Ewing, N4TMM

W4UWC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Repair of 75S-3B  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is easy to recommend Dave Knepper to repair your favorite piece of Collins. I had several issues with my 75S-3B that needed attention both mechanical and electrical. I sent the radio to Dave and he did a excellent repair job. It was returned it in short order in like new condition. Dave's charges are reasonable. So if you have a favorite Collins radio that needs to be made right send it to Dave Knepper. You will be glad you did.

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
75S-1 Modification  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Once again I called upon Dave to perform some work on my 75S-1. I sent him the parts and as expected the modification was taken care of in a timely and professional manner. Receiver works great.

W4BBN Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2015 07:57 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Dave a KWM-2A with the dial/pto drive mechanism that would not work. He did a professional job repairing it.

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2015 09:39 Send this review to a friend
It's Alive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent Dave a basket case 75S-1 which had been damaged in shipping as well as having dial issues and S-Meter issues. Dave meticulously cleaned up the trimmers and PTO, repaired the S-Meter and broken transformer mount, and repaired and painted the case. it was not the same radio I sent in. It works great and looks great. All for a very reasonable price.

K3QNT Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2015 17:36 Send this review to a friend
KWM-2A (AN/FRC-93)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had Collins gear for a very long time - I can usually tackle a problem by myself given enough time. My older (WE) Militarized KWM-2A was giving me fits with a nasty intermittent. Dave Knepper had my set for just a few hours and discovered a mica bad cap in a place I would never have looked. His grasp for this stuff and decades of experience with "S" line type equipment really paid off for me. When my transceiver got back from W3ST, not only was the neurotic behavior cured but the transmitter made more power than ever before and now, even the VOX works for the first time! Thank you Dave!!

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 07:42 Send this review to a friend
75S-1 Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Never had a Collins previously. Picked one up and saw it had some issues. Sent it to Dave who did a great job on it electronically as well as cosmetically. Kept me informed throughout the process. Reasonable pricing and fairly quick turn around. I have since sent him another with similar results and have one in the que for him now. Highly recommended.