Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Collins Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Collins Radio
Collins Radio Reviews: 92 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: For all your Collins repair and restoration needs, please contact me.

My speciality is the S-Line and KWM-2 equipment. Collins parts on stock, both new and used - please inquire on availability or from other sources. I know that many of you are new to Collins so if I can assist you, please feel free to call me at (814) 487-4403.

Also, allow me to assist you in buying or selling your Collins.

We are located near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 70 miles east of Pittsburgh. Visitors to the Collins Radio Center are always welcome Drop off your Collins for repair/restoration if you wish.

Thank you - David Knepper, W3ST/W3CRA, editor of the Collins Journal and secretary to the CRA.

Join the largest Collins organization in the world today at www collinsra.com. Our email address is collinsradio@comcast.net

More info: http://collinsra.org/home/

You can write your own review of the Collins Radio.

KA1VE Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2017 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
David did a very fine job repairing my Collins 32S-3 transmitter. His turn-around-time was shockingly fast for a vintage radio repair and I was back up on the air in no time. Also amazing was the personal attention he devoted to the project, involving several lengthy phone calls and a follow up call after the repair to make sure the rig was running properly. Along the way he also gave me many good tips about Collins gear in general. This was very useful to me as someone new to Collins. A very pleasant guy to deal with and someone I would hire again. 73, de W1ZF (formerly KA1VE)

WA2PJF Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2016 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had various Collins radios repaired by David Knepper W3ST. I am totally pleased with his workmanship. He is an "outstanding" repairman. I will be using his services again in the "very near" future.
If you want the job done correctly (the first time) .......call upon Mr. David Knepper !
The Collins Radio King !

W5CL Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Repair of KWM-2A by W3ST David  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Collins KWM-2A round emblem to David W3ST for a going over. This was a old military surplus buy. Still had military crystals in it. I had plenty of ham crystal so I switch out to amateur crystals. I talk to David for over a hour on different phone calls. I sent David the KWM-2A just told him to go complete Thur it and try and get it clean and working like a new one. BOY did he do a good job and at a reasonable figure. ALL I can say is Thank You again over and over also the complete kit for the Collins 30-L1 worked like a charm can't return your friend call. Thank You again.

N3NNL Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2016 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Absolute Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Dave my 51S-1 receiver that needed some attention. Dave fixed it and had back to me in a week. Dave has fixed other Collins equipment for me and I always am very satisfied with his work. If Dave doesn't know about it Collins never made.
Thanks Dave.

K3MEJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2016 16:25 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my KWM2a to David and found a new friend. He is great to talk with. He did a great job on my radio. He went above and beyond. It came back looking and working perfectly.

N4OT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second time that I have used Dave Knepper for repairing Collins gear. Once again, his communication, explanation, as well as the actual repair was AGAIN truly OUTSTANDING. And most important to me… affordable. Not to mention, he was a pleasure to speak to and learn from. Worth the cost of repairs alone.

David, called me several times explaining the problem which he diagnosed quickly and had it repaired (with parts he had in his vast inventory) fully tested and ready to mail back to me (packed better then I sent it) IN LESS THAN A WEEK!! (I don’t always expect this kind of turn-around, but he did it this time) 110% satisfied. Again !

If you not getting this kind of service from your repair guy… Call Dave Knepper ! Check out the “Collins Radio Association” http://www.collinsra.org/home/

AG4CN Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
51S-1  Time owned: months
This time I put Dave to the ultimate test. Sent him a working 51S-1 that had numerous issues, both cosmetically and operationally. Dave was up to the task and did a great job as always. Inside was cleaned and looks almost new, now receives on all bands, and can hardly tell there was a huge scratch on the face plate. Very pleased.

KB0USA Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2016 08:54 Send this review to a friend
David Lives and Breathes Collins   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
David is tenacious in de-bugging whatever issues your radio presents. He is thorough in diagnosis and repair, stays in contact as he progresses. His fees are very fair. Save yourself time, money and aggravation by calling David at the first signs of a problem,minor or full restoration. David is a Pro!

N4TMM Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought a 32S1 from an estate sale and it had some problems. After some troubleshooting and comparing notes with friends, I decided the smart thing to do was put it in the hands of someone who knows the ropes. After some research, I called David Knepper and chatted with him about the transmitter and what may be wrong. I sent it to him and a couple of weeks later it came back in excellent shape. During the time he was working on it, he called and we would chat about what he was finding - very useful information for me. The transmitter, which I love like all my Collins gear, works great on all bands; even all the knobs turn more smoothly and the little bit of dust that was inside, gone. Beautiful work. I was also very pleased with what he charged. I highly recommend his work based on this very positive experience. Jim Ewing, N4TMM

W4UWC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Repair of 75S-3B  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is easy to recommend Dave Knepper to repair your favorite piece of Collins. I had several issues with my 75S-3B that needed attention both mechanical and electrical. I sent the radio to Dave and he did a excellent repair job. It was returned it in short order in like new condition. Dave's charges are reasonable. So if you have a favorite Collins radio that needs to be made right send it to Dave Knepper. You will be glad you did.