Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Powertech 3090 Help

Reviews Summary for Powertech 3090
Powertech 3090 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $478.90 aust
Description: 40amp continuos power supply
More info: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MP3090&CATID=27&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=381

You can write your own review of the Powertech 3090.

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2015 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Quite good...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed another power supply to keep all the radio gear lit up. Just a year ago, I had, and still have, a conventional linear (standard transformer type) 13.8v 20amp power supply which with all due respects, has served me excellently and has never been turned off in the almost 30 years I've had it - power cuts not included... Anyway, I went out and bought a new PS, a Powertech MP3099, yet another linear job with a 30amp output. I got it home and plugged it in only to hear a loud hiss followed by a boiling/bubbling sound and as I looked down at it, smoke bellowed out of it everywhere, and boy did that smoke have a pungent acrid smell to it, burning my nose as I was stupid enough to have a quick whiff...

Back to the store it went instantly and I shelled out a few more bucks and took home a 40amp switch mode Powertech MP3090 aka a Manson SPS9400. You can imagine that I gingerly plugged that one in, because I did. I didn't use it for one week, instead turning it on and leaving it sitting for many hours at a time, just to kind of soak test it. It passed that week long test so I plugged a radio in, a dual band radio and have been using the 3090 for V/UHF work ever since. It hasn't missed a beat either. Actually, how does a power supply miss a beat? I guess it just fails, oh yeah, like I know all about that, don't I? The quoted ripple level of 50mV from the manual (piece of paper), didn't seem overly impressive but it is completely acceptable and I've been told by others that there is no detectable hum or other noise on the carrier or voice, so I must assume it works quite well. This MP3090 gets switched off after every session, which can be up to 14 hours a day, so it gets a good workout but I don't know just how switch mode PS's handle being left on 24/7. I just settle for the safe option, besides, I couldn't handle trying to sleep with all that light from the large LED readout along with the built in fan noise, which I can't notice during the day, but in the dead of night, I'm sure it would sound like a Mack truck...

I can't think of anything bad to say about the MP3090. I have however, noticed though that the digit readout tells me it's at its fixed voltage is 13.9v, a tenth of a volt above the usual and quoted 13.8v it is supposed to yield. The radio tells me it's 13.9 volts too as it powers up but that's not anything to get upset about at all. Actually, it may be a small plus, making sure I "DO" get my 13.8v, and then a some...

VK7ZJA Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2010 04:20 Send this review to a friend
Great, but make sure you get a late version  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a Powertech 3090 in the shack for 4 years now, and never had any problems with its ability to reliably supply current to my equipment.
The one problem I did have was HF RFI... peaking at about 4 MHz, but still audible at 21 MHz.
My crude modifications to attempt to cure this problem were to:
Add a filtered IEC 240volt input socket. Cured the minimal RFI radiating from the mains input completely.
Add some RFI bleeding disc ceramics on the DC output terminals to the case earth. Helped a little.
Add 6 inch long mix-43 ferrite cores over the cables connected to the DC output terminals. This helped the most I think.
And finally earth the case to my shack earth.

This must have been an early version MP3090, as a friends MP3090 was absolutely RF quiet; no need for the above treatment.

Otherwise, I've never had a problem with mine, even the fan in the MP3090 isn't at noisy as the cooling fan in my linear supply.

Definitely recommend it, so long as its a late version.

VK2FTNY Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2008 07:38 Send this review to a friend
proven reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned this power supply for over 4yrs and it is in constant use everyday.I run an Icom Ic-756 proiii and Yaesu Ft-897D off this power supply and it has not failed yet.Yes the fan is a little noisy but having mounted the psu under the operating desk noise is kept to a minimum.I must admit when i bought mine 4yrs ago they where a lot cheaper than they are now.I paid $250 for mine back then and you could not buy a 40amp psu for less here in australia.Yes longevity wont be that of a traditional heavy transformer based psu but at 1/4 the price or less i can have 4 new power supplies,much lighter and more compact and easier to hide the price from the boss.And in 4yrs it has not given me even a hickup even when pushed to the limit,Although it is not recommended as when peaking over 35 will send the switching diodes into overdrive and you can hear them clicking away.But at this stage they have survived.