Reviews Categories | Ham Repeater Controllers | Pion and Simon Electronics PSE-508-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Pion and Simon Electronics PSE-508-2
Pion and Simon Electronics PSE-508-2 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$149.50
Description: Plug in repeater controller for GE Mastr II station/repeaters.
More info: http://www.pionsimon.com/

You can write your own review of the Pion and Simon Electronics PSE-508-2.

W4CAS Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Get Any Easier!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just put a GE MASTR II UHF repeater on the air using the PSE 508-2 controller. I can't imagine anything easier than setting up this excellent little controller - essentially plug-and-play! The only thing I had to do hardware related was cut one land on the 10V regulator board. I had a question about this, so I e-mailed Pion and Simon and had an answer within the hour! Programming the controller via Hyperterminal couldn't be simpler. If you are looking a simple,reliable, easy-to set up controller for a MASTR II, you can't beat the PSE 508-2.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2012 01:10 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one running on my UHF repeater for 5 years now without a single blip. Just abt the best you can get for the MASTR II cabinet. I have the 4 tone model and its great having 4 different PL tones on the input. And great customer service!! Send them an email and they with call YOU on their dime!!

W4YJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2012 23:16 Send this review to a friend
Best for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these boards almost 3 years ago. It is without a doubt the BEST controller you can buy for the Mastr II repeaters. It is literally plug n play. Just change a few jumpers on the 10 Volt reg card, plug it in and use touchtones to program your call. Has a 10 sec voice recorder, nice courtesty tones, built in encoder/decoder. Has serial input for computer programming also! Just using Hyperterm makes it so easy. The audio is superb-rivals the original GE audio! Not once has it ever had a glitch like some controllers. The manual can be UNDERSTOOD! I have another brand of controller with more functions but it takes a Chinese magician to figure it out!! Unless you plan on linking I would never hestitate to recommend this to anyone setting up a Mastr II repeater.

Thanks Al for a great product!

N8RAT Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2012 21:50 Send this review to a friend
So easy even a caveman can do it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm giving this a 5 only because 6 is not an option. I'm in the process of setting up a UHF Mastr II base station as a repeater. After getting the base station operational, the few changes to the regulator card and system board (as documented in the instruction booklet); installation of the controller and setup with a laptop computer took less than an hour. No wires, no guessing, no mysteries, no runs, hits or errors. The documentation was very easy to follow as it is well written and thought out. The controller is very reasonably priced as well. If you have a GE Mastr II and need a controller or are thinking of upgrading, I would suggest you purchase a PSE-508-2; it just plain works.

KE4AHR Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Great value and simplicity!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am/was a newbie to the Mastr II radio system, but once I figured out the radio and chassis side of the repeater, the controller was the easy part. GE puts the CG/no-CG jumpers in the 10V Regulator, and fortunately my chassis wasn't butchered with jumpers or cuts.

Once I set the 10V reg jumpers per the Pion and Simon website (http://www.pionsimon.com/index.php/Repeater_Setup), it was ready to go. Then all I had to do was set the RX Audio level (which was already 1VRMS) TX Audio level, the TX PL, and TX Power Out.

It really doesn't get any easier, and it fits into the chassis perfectly.

The only think missing is a control receiver input, and perhaps a speech synthesizer for voice readout of the callsign. I get tired of hearing my own voice. ;)

WA4VBC Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2010 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have my third one and am very pleased. While not a fully features controller, it has all I need. Easy to install and set-up, good audio, and handy LEDs and switches. Factory support is excellent

N5NPO Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2008 19:36 Send this review to a friend
"Plug-N-Play" for real!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, I threw together a 110watt GE Master II station/repeater for our club's (Mobile Amateur Radio Club, Mobile Alabama) 147.225/147.825 repeater in Citronelle Alabama... making a Mastr II station repeat is not so tough, you just need to get the right "cards" in it's card shelf and you got yourself a nice repeater... Getting it HAM ready is anothing thing. You need a controller with ID'er and remote control features. I did some shopping and decided to try the Pion and Simon PSE-508-2 controller made especially for the GE Mastr II. The item was sent to me for the low price of just $155.50. They even ship it priority mail, so it only takes about 3 bus. days to get to you. Don't let the low price fool you. This thing works and is a snap to program. Why didn't GE think of this? Anyway, if you are thinking of going to the trouble of hooking up a controller to a Mastr II by making connections on the back of the mother board, think twice and research this baby. I do not thinkg you will be sorry. I plan to order another one soon as I get my next Mastr II up and running. 73 de N5NPO Norman Knapp