Reviews Categories | Transverters | R N Electronics RN6M/25 6m transverter Help

Reviews Summary for R N Electronics RN6M/25 6m transverter
R N Electronics RN6M/25 6m transverter Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $ Approx 160 in 1988
Description: A 144MHz to 50MHz transverter built in the UK by R.N. Electronics. Adjustable input from 0.5W to 3W at 144MHz to give 25W out at 50MHz

You can write your own review of the R N Electronics RN6M/25 6m transverter.

G4IPZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2008 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Old but still excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I took a chance on this after seeing it on Ebay at a starting bid of 0.99. I'd read a few reviews on some 6m sites and they were all full of praise.
In the end I got the thing for 50 (approx $100) and have not been disappointed.
If you want your stuff to be all bright lights and fancy displays then this is not for you as this is very typically late 1980s in every way. As can be seen from the picture it's almost homebrew in design but that's where the appearance of cheapness ends. Inside the construction standards are superb. Personally I think it's way better than much of the Microwave modules construction ever was.
There are some odd design standards even for those days but.....
145MHZ input/output is via an attached fly lead terminated in a PL259/UHF plug for the driving rig. This is odd since the lead inside the case has a BNC plug on it and is plugged into the main board. The 50MHZ in/out is via a BNC socket. 13.8V is supplied via a length of two core domestic power cable. There is also a small hole on the back of the box which is where you can run a lead to enable remote "ground to transmit" control. Why they didn't add a small socket I don't know since it's really spoiling the ship for a hap'orth of tar. But again I suppose you have to bear in mind that this device is around 20 years old.
The handbook that comes with (complete with a circuit diagram) has the look of having been typed on an old Remington typewriter and then photocopied - which it probably was.
None of this should put you off though since this is an excellent piece of kit.
Both my FT290R and my old IC202E drive it perfectly. Also the receive sensitivity into my Moonraker vertical is as good as my FT690 barefoot and way better than my old Microwave modules converter.
As I say, this may be old and rarer than hen's teeth but if one crops up then go for it, you won't regret it.