Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Watson W-2000 Triple Gainer Tri Band Colinear Help

Reviews Summary for Watson W-2000 Triple Gainer Tri Band Colinear
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $120 approx (59 UK)
Description: 2.5m long 150W tri band 6/2/70cm antenna.
Gains: 50MHz - 2.15dB, 144MHz - 6.2dB, 430MHz - 8.4dB

You can write your own review of the Watson W-2000 Triple Gainer Tri Band Colinear.

G4IPZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2010 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Longer term review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had this antenna up for 2 years I felt I needed to add some further points to my original review prompted by a couple of questions that have been raised and from my experiences.

As for reliability (and fingers crossed) mine has suffered no failures due to windage, weather etc.
It has also been moved a couple of times during building work and has also not suffered.

However I have realised that this antenna seems inherently noisy on 6M whilst 2M and 70cms are fine.

Comparing it between my 1/2 size G5RV also used on 6M and allowing for the vertical/horizontal comparison losses, the 5RV works better on vertical polarised signals than the W2000 when the background noise is considered.

While looking on the web I came across the following site http://ea4eoz.ure.es/v2000.html which concerns a modification to the radials of this antenna, part of which improves the noise problem. Having merely 'bodge' trialled this mod I will be installing 3 new radials when my antenna is installed permanently in it's new position.
I am still quite happy with this antenna but I think the compromise over the radials knocks it's overall score down simply to OK.