Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Help

Reviews Summary for YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE
YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $60.
Description: Double side headphones with boom microphone

You can write your own review of the YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE.

VE3BR Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2017 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Top value for money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to have Heil Pro-Set Plus; the one with phase reversal switch and dual mic elements: HC-4 and HC-5.

I sold the Heil after I got CM500 and have been using CM500 with my Ten-Tec Orion for a couple of years now and have not had a single moment of regret.

This says enough.

This could be the end of my review, but I need to deal with some shenanigans expressed on this forum. After all we are all adults here.

The complaint about the CM500 headband not maintaining its adjustment between uses is just silly. The statement that the adjustable band collapses to its minimum position is simply not true. And even if it were true, it is of no consequence. Firstly, this has no effect on audio quality, which with CM500 is superb. And secondly, adjusting the band while putting the headset on, done with an automated (kind of acquired, reflex level) movement of your fingers while holding the speakers' domes position with the thumbs, would be a price worth paying for the overall excellence of the headset.

Also, the fit around the ears is extremely comfortable. They do not hurt my head and ears even after 48 hours in a contest. And I, trust me on that, have an unusually large head and ears. Must be that residual Neanderthal DNA in me.

These headsets are now up to twice the start-up $40 price of years ago. And still worth every penny.

Yamaha CM500 headset cannot be beat for Amateur Radio audio quality, comfort and value.

W9AC Rating: 2/5 Jan 28, 2017 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Needs Help  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sorry to go against the wave of positive reviews. My chief complaint is that the headband won't maintain its adjustment. Each time the set is worn, I find that the adjustable band has collapsed to its minimum position; there's no means to hold the position in place like other headphones. Of course, this has no effect on audio quality but I find the constant adjusting to be a nuisance.

The second issue is that ear isolation is marginal. Every other inexpensive headset I own has a better fit around the ear - mine at least.

On a positive note, receive and transmit audio quality is good.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2016 06:34 Send this review to a friend
CM500 / Koss SB45  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of these headphones. I did a lot of mic testing with my Icom 7300 prior to this weekends VHF contest. In addition to these 2 headsets, I also tested several hand-held mics like the Radio Shack 33-3001, Audio-Technica ATR-30, and the Axis CM-3. These mics work fine with my Icom radios using the XLR to Icom cables available most everywhere.

Please note, I did NOT try to adjust the mic settings in the radio. I just listened to my own signal on another radio.

While the hand held mics are good, the Koss and Yamaha are EXCELLENT. The mics are very hot and have nice, full sound. The on-air reports have been outstand as well!

They might not be military grade rugged, but they WORK great.

ron
N4UE

K4RKY Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had mine only a few weeks using them on my Kenwwood TS-140S but the headset works so good I will definitely buy another set. Found the complete set including the battery box for 59.99 with free shipping. But, don't talk too loud with them because the mic is really hot. The only problem I had was I needed to add a mono to stereo adapter (was not included) inline with the mic. Comfortable and great sound and I get excellent audio reports.

2M0YIO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I am using Yamaha cm_500 headset it has electric condenser mic element.I am using it with my yaesu ftdx 3000 I get great audio reports so get ready to turn your mic gain and processor levels down mic very hot wouldent buy heil again this headset a lot cheaper and very comfortable to where for long periods buy 1 you won't regret it regards 2m0yio brian

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Koss SB40, same headset but less money. Excellent comfort, great audio on receive and the TX is very clean. I use them on my FT950 and good reports of great audio.

You can by three of these headsets for the price of one of the other well known brands, but are no where near as comfortable or durable as this headset.

K7ABV Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2015 10:34 Send this review to a friend
ymmv --my .02 cents worth  Time owned: more than 12 months
On my 4th pair of CM-500's since 2011, use them off and on with the Yaesu FTDX-5000, FT1000D and FT-1000MK5..the microphone went bad on 3 sets...seems the pivot point is where they might break down...tricky to fix, so I didn't mess with it...I use W2ENY adapter , works great...I like these phones, very cumfy for long periods in contests..turn mike down of the rig and no problem..like the summary said YMMV.good DX

NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2015 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic-Headset for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
I needed a mic-headset combination for portable use and field day. I use it with my K3 and TS480 and get great reports. I bought the W2ENY adapter for the 8 pin connection to the K3 and one for the TS480. Headset is very comfortable over long periods (think field day) and easy to carry in the RV. Definitely worth the money.

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2015 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Works great with the IC7600  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say, it is a condenser microphone and a comfy set of headphones that go completely around your ears. I use the same audio levels on my radio as I do with the Icom microphone, didn't have to change a thing.
I got my headphones from Amazon and went with the K6VHF's 8 Pin Icom adapter from Ebay to connect it to the radio.
All total about $75

N2UJN Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2014 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio, High Output Electret, Extremely Comfortable  Time owned: months
I own and use an FT-1000MP.

Although the MP does not have an equalizer, the 1000MP does, with EDSP, have five different transmit "EDSP" microphone settings. These settings are: OFF, 1, 2, 3, 4. OFF is pass through of the audio from the microphone, same as EDSP off. Two low cut, higher frequency microphone outputs, EDSP 1, 2 can be used for contesting. Additionally, two high cut, lower frequency, filtered, 3, 4 can be used for ragchew. All of these have a very excellent noise filtering (can hear efficacy by comparing OFF with 3 with furnace on in background) for the mic. Menu 4-4 controls these settings on the FT-1000MP. These varied audio settings are a key feature to preserve with audio mods.

I bought and used the MP with the hand mic for more than one year, then, purchased a Heil Proset Elite 6 with foot switch.

The hand microphone (acoustic element) did offer good audio quality and good power output for all settings of EDSP transmit audio. Measured PO was smaller for the higher frequency outputs (expected for SSB), best power out with setting 3 (lowest frequency voice rendition).

However, when I switched over to the Heil Proset Elite, the Heil Mic only enabled good power output above 5W for OFF and EDSP 3. To be fair, for these settings, the audio and PO was excellent. But, the Heil element just could not offer enough input for the MP EDSP settings 1,2 and 4 to output more than 5W. I could barely get the ALC to deflect upward at all with the Heil for those settings. So, I sent the Heil back and stayed with the hand mic. No need to lose the entire EDSP transmit audio feature on the MP just to switch over to Heil.

A friend of mine, K2RNY, suggested the Yamaha CM500 headset. This is an 'electret' microphone, which, as I read reviews, is generally perceived as not as good as an acoustically driven microphone like the Heil.

However, the electret microphone on the CM500 offers three attributes that make it an absolutely spectacular microphone/headset on the 1000MP:

1) it has a high output drive from the amplified electret microphone.
2) It has very, very good audio frequency response.
3) Unlike the Heil Proset Elite, the CM500 is comfortable and offers "forgettable" wearing (you forget it is on).

When CM500 is hooked up to the MP, I can adjust the MP microphone gain to obtain well above the ALC deflection needed for each and every EDSP audio setting. So, the high cut EDSP and the low cut can be set to max ALC deflection, and, obtain good power output/audio output with the Yamaha CM500.

The ability to put enough audio drive into the MP to properly adjust the ALC for each EDSP setting is a must have for the 1000MP.

I can hear my audio with the Monitor and, with the EDSP setting 3, the audio is optimal for ragchew, but, I do use the high frequency setting 2 for contesting. I do get, frequently, unsolicited 'great' audio reports with the CM500 headset.

The Heil mic connector would NOT work with the CM500 due to not passing the necessary +5V back to the electret amplifier.

The CM500 DOES come with a battery powered amp drive, which, is removable, to use with radios that do not have +5V.

However, I ordered a connector from http://w2eny.com/adapter/ which does have +5V from the Yaesu radio +5V pin connector back to the electret element. This connector works well, and, has some minimal capacitance filtering it it for RF on the wire to the radio.

One challenge with the electret CM500 mic with my antenna system.

I do not have much "RF in the shack" as defined as common mode current. However, my rig is in the basement below my antenna system which is outside and 30 feet up. The CM500 DID become garbled during transmit due to interference with reception from my transmit antennas.

To resolve: I ordered from Mouser snap on ferrites and added them until the audio output cleared completely up.

My complete audio setup for the CM500, including the w2eny adapter and the Mouser snap on ferrites which result in clean audio is shown at the link below.

Lastly, the Heil headset hurt my head and ears after 10 minutes. The Yamaha CM500 is comfortable for hours (well, I think the longest I have worn them are 3 hours).

These headsets started onto the market in the $40 range, I paid $49. I do still use the Heil footswitch with the system shown in the above photo.

This headset cannot be beat for Amateur Radio audio quality, output, and comfort, and value. For my applications with the 1000MP this headset and mic are perfect. The microphone output is high enough for any radio (ICOM, Yaesu, Elecraft (my friend has this headset on his Elecraft), etc).