Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Help

Reviews Summary for YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE
YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $60.
Description: Double side headphones with boom microphone

You can write your own review of the YAMAHA CM500 HEADSET W/BOOM MICROPHONE.

K7XDX Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2014 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Search no more  Time owned: more than 12 months
I looked around a bit an ran into the Yamaha CM500
headset. Easy to wear for long sessions. Not heavy. I get excellent reports over and over with nothing added into my Icom 756 pro III. I often get feedback from others that it sounds much better than the dedicated communications headsets. Nice balanced sound without that hard to listen to edge of others. I turn the compression on when I want to punch through.

K2GAV Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2014 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great value - excellent mic and headset  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one of these for my Elecraft KX3 on the recommendation of a user of both during an on-air conversation. I thought his audio sounded very good.

I paid about $55 total for this headset. I used it with the KX-3 and an adapter and it works great. I made my own adapter for a Kenwood TS-990 and I love using it with a foot switch for PTT.

One note about comments from listeners - there are so many variables from your vocal cords all the way to the listener's ear drums that it's difficult to tell exactly which variable is most critical. I believe your own voice characteristics and the listeners personal preferences are the most influential variables. That's not to discount other significant variables such as the microphone, outboard audio processing gear and your ability to adjust it correctly, your transmitter, your ability to operate your TX properly, mode of modulation, propagation, the receiver, the RX operator's ability and the receiver's speaker/headset/listening environment.

One quality issue on my CM-500 - the microphone arm was flopping around in the swivel mount. I had to jamb a piece of black cable tie into the gap to fix it. This worked very well and is invisible.

Well, hell, it was only $55. It would have gotten a 5 from me except for the QC issue.

W2EG Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 16:43 Send this review to a friend
COMFORTABLE - great for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like to do a bit of contesting and so wear the headphones for hours at a time. These are among the VERY few phones I've tried that are comfortable for EXTENDED wear. I got mine for less than $50 and have used them for several years now without a lick of trouble. The mic works fine with my K3. (I must say that I do not do a lot of SSB work.) I won't say these are beautifully constructed of the highest quality materials, but I will say that I like them much better than some much more expensive headphones I've tried. All things considered, I have no hesitation about giving them a '5' rating.

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
OK, I guess... good enough but uninspiring overall  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a headset junkie and while the Yamaha CM-500 is good enough, I don't agree it is worthy of all the fuss and acolades it gets, especially with a $60 price tag.

This a a reasonably well made, comfortable, and durable enough headset for the price, although I have had to repair my friend's set with a new microphone boom, and another friend's set died in the middle of the CQ WW 160 phone contest... but it is not an outstanding performer in any way. Earphone receivers have average, uninspiring sound. The electret condenser mic is a bit hot for most transceivers and should be attenuated, and produces just OK voice reproduction. It is, however no better than virtually any low to medium quality (and cost) computer gaming headset, and I suggest the KOSS SB-45 at 2/3 the cost of the CM-500, is its equal in comfort, durability, and audio performance. Plus KOSS usually provides a limited lifetime guarantee on its products. I do not believe Yamaha does for the CM-500. The guys at the contest shack I sometimes play at, use the SB-45 and CM-500 and consider them equivalent and interchangeable.

No doubt this headset should work OK with your transceiver... I just feel it is overrated and there are loads of other, less expensive gaming headsets which are equal to the task, and which may sound better, overall, at lower price. Compare them to the KOSS SB-40 headset, which sells for around $29 and uses a dynamic microphone that "might" be better suited for use with some transceivers, and draw your own conclusion about build quality, value, and overall performance.

Bottom Line: Just OK, good performing headset, but nothing to get excited over considering the rest of the market. You won't be unhappy with it, but I sold mine and moved on to better models with no regrets.

W5VIN Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Headset tests  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had purchased a Heil Pro 6 and it seemed uncomfortable after extended use. On a tip from AC0C I bought the Yamaha CM500. I purchased an adapter from W2ENY on ebay for the Yaesu 8 pin mic connector on my FT-2000. The audio was too hot so I added a 30K ohm resistor on pin 8, the center pin and that made the audio drive easy to adjust. During on the air testing I received one negative comment from a Heil lover in a roundtable. I changed headsets several times during the hour long QSO and no one even noticed. The audio looks as clean on the transmit monitor display as any dynamic microphone. AC0C just used an inline mp3 volume control in place of my resistor mod to set the drive level. Just plug and play this way.
This headset is very comfortable to wear and with proper drive level adjustment generates very clean transmit audio. It is an Electret mic driving a transceiver designed for a dynamic microphone.
Over the years I have found eham to be a good barometer of how products are accepted in the amateur radio community.
It may break tomorrow but initial observation gives the Yamaha CM500 a 5.0
Charlie W5VIN

WX2S Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2014 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good phones, cords a nuisance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Heil ProSet was getting uncomfortable, so I went looking for a set of supra-aural phones and came up with these. Sound quality is fine for communications and the mike works well on my K3. The only real complaint I have is that the V-shaped cord feels uncomfortable. FOr maybe a penny more, Yamaha could have engineered these phones with the cord in the left side only. Still, not bad for the price.

K8AC Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2013 06:57 Send this review to a friend
A good price performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are better headsets, like the Flightcom Denali headset that I've used for years. But, when the Flightcom cord covering disintegrated, the replacement price was quoted at almost twice the price of the Yamaha CM500 headset. I use the CM500 now with my Tentec Orion II and it's a very nice match. The mic output is a bit higher than other mics I've used, but that's not a problem. The feature I like the least is the flat 9' cord - I'm sure I'll eventually shorten it a few feet. If you tend to wear headphones for several hours per sitting, you might want to opt for something more comfortable, but these are fine otherwise. The size adjustment is rather flaky and you'll end up having to adjust them each time you put them on - it's easy. Like the Sony headsets, I expect the ear pads to come apart in a couple of years - hope there are replacements available.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2013 04:23 Send this review to a friend
Still working fine   Time owned: more than 12 months
My second review after six years using them, have two, one with my K3 and one with my IC-7700 and they work fine on both.
Its been said they are overrated, I don't think so,mine has been abused falling off the floor several times and the cord never has broken.
Like I said in my previous review, RX and TX audio quality is great, they are confortable in my head, I can hear hours without any ears fatigue, I do equalize the TX audio with both radios builtin EQ to make a wide audio for ESSB or narrow high pitch for DX/contests wich can be switched instantly trough a push of a front panel key on both radios.
It look that the demand has increased and now is not anymore around forty bucks, I checked several vendors and is around $60 now but for me is still lower than the Heil headsets.
I will recommend these Yamaha CM500 to anyone who wish a confortable long lasting headset.

AD4C

KJ5RM Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Good heasets for a great price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked up a pair of these headsets based on recommendations from other hams online. The price was low compared to other radio headphones. The quality is first rate and they look like they would stand up to a lot of use.

The sound quality from the headphone speakers is very good when listening to SSB, CW, and FM. I also tested them on the computer and found the sound quality for music to also be good. The feel of the cans are light on the head and ears and this makes them a good choice for contesting.

The microphone on the unit produces good quality sound. It is a little hot so adjustment of the mic gain and processor is required. However, once its set it produces good strong audio. The audio has a bit more punch then my other headsets and desk mics. I feel this allows me to break through pileups and QRM more frequently.

A hookup system is easily and cheaply built to connect to any radio and plans are available in various places on the net. However, I strongly recommend purchasing W2ENY's interface. It makes this headset plug and play!

If you are looking for a good headset for casual or contest operation and for a low price then get a set of these!

K7FDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hard to go wrong with these. I have a large head (7 1/2), and must open them to the fullest for comfort.

The ear pads are large, and reasonably comfortable. The seal is just OK.

The microphone is a little on the hot side, but it does work well.

I've never owned a Heil set, but am sure these are a great deal for $45.00. The are well made of decent materials. 5 for value.