Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | PRO AM Dual Band 2m/70cm Mag Mount Help

Reviews Summary for PRO AM Dual Band 2m/70cm Mag Mount
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $29.99
Description: Dual Band magnetic mount antenna with unity gain on 2 meters and 2.1 DB gain on 70cm. Rated 150 watts. Chrome or black 3" magnetic base with 12' of RG58 and BNC connector.

You can write your own review of the PRO AM Dual Band 2m/70cm Mag Mount.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2008 11:59 Send this review to a friend
GOOD RUGGED ANTENNA!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at a ham fest two years ago for $14.95. Sells at AES as a Valor for $29.95.

I mounted it on my diamond plate truck aluminum tool box by using four silicone spots in the low surface areas and weighting a steel electrical box cover down on the spots with a brick to make contact with the high diamond plate surfaces. I tested ground continuity with a meter and then placed the magnetic antenna on the steel plate.

Even though the antenna is directly behind the cab, where it is protected from most tree limbs and is garagable with no problems, I get good performance. I can talk 50 miles away using five watts into the local repeater with a no static signal on transmit or receive.

I left enough extra cable behind the cab so I can place it on the roof in an emergency, but that has not been necessary. Anyone I can hear I can talk to with my aging 5/25/50 watt Kenwood mobile transceiver.

This antenna has a 3/8 X 24 thread so radiator changes for different bands is easy. The strong magnet can hold a much longer antenna in place. The radiator is also very strong and remains at straight at any speed. You get a lot for your money.

Make sure you get the black magnetic mount! The finish on chrome model will pit if it gets wet and water sits on its flat surface. Overall though this is a great rugged antenna at a very reasonable price.