Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-736R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-736R
Yaesu FT-736R Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $FT 736R
Description: FT-736R
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft736r.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-736R.

KB1PDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Still The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having been using the ft736r for a month now I find it a very nice upgrade to my shack. It is on all the time scanning the local repeaters. Only have the 2 meter and 70 cm modules installed, but hope to find a nice 220 also. Antenna only up about 15' and can hit the repeater 35 Miles to the south easy. It's a keeper for sure!

ON6ZK Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT736R in 1993 ...yes 20 years ago and I used it on Satelitte AO13 and AO10. Great time 70 cm uplink and 2 meter down. Since those birds died ( burned ... :-(...) and the failure of Phase 3 Sat. I only use it on 2 , 70 cm and 6 meters I have the 23 cm module installed but no antenna :-( on my tower , could think about that sometime. Now mainly use it on 144 Mhz DX ,combined with a 500 watts amp and a 9 element yagi. Great contacts all over Europe. On 70 cm I use it QRP and I already had contacts reaching 1700 km. Use it mainly in CW on 6 meters as a QRP rig and have wonderfull contacts with it on my 5 element Optibeam for 6. It is a keepr ande I will never sell it. Never failed , keeps running all the time ! One of the best radio's Yaesu ever produced. Great old fashion desgign , no hidden menu's ! Just love it.

VA7VO Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2013 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and still stong  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my fourth one in 11 years. Now would be a good time to get one because most operators are not using them since there are not the sat's to work and one with three modules will set you back about $600-$700 with ALL the accessories.
To those that think it's deaf, 1, either your unit has issues or in most cases BAD antennas or operator.
The receiver is hot and performs and hears as well as TS-570s on 6 meters i have found.
I have the infinity power supply upgrade and works great.
On satellites i have used several years ago with my crossed yagis there was no need for a preamp, switching from left to right polarization helped as i found linear yagis don't have the necessary receive capability.
Using helix antennas for the downlink the issue wasn't there.

At the time with my temporry setup i am only using a ta-33jr on 6 meters, 1.3:1 and measured gain through an eznec model shows about 4.0dbd. Not great but this works out to be a very wide spaced 3 element on 6.

Glenn, VA7VO

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Wish they were still made  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for about 2 years now. I installed the 6M module after I got the main radio. I might put 222MHz in if I found a module cheap enough - but except for VHF contests there aren't many to talk to on 222 SSB...
It looks and feels like a HF radio of the same era.
The sensitivity on 2M really isn't bad, it just isn't quite as 'hot' as the TR-751 for instance. 6M and 70cm sensitivity is mediocre. This isn't a problem if you plan to put antennas up high, since you should be using a tower mounted amp/preamp in that case anyhow.
The pro's and con's:
PRO:
4 bands! If you buy extra modules somwhere.
2M/UHF satellite with ease.
Internal 120VAC supply or external 12VDC makes it great for VHF mountaintopping.
Adequately stable for use with changing temps.

CON:
The LO is pretty noisy for extreme weak-signal CW.
I REALLY wish it had dual/multiband receive!!!!!
The frontend IM performance is mediocre on any band.

Don't care:
I use a USInterface Navigator for CAT control and CW so I don't use the worthless internal keyer.
10W on 6M isn't a big deal since most 6M amps are made for 10W drive.
25W on 2M: I use a 45 in / 160 out amp, driving with about 18 watts out to get acceptable IMD performance. The amp output is about 96W. Or I use the 2M barefoot at 15-18W. Works well enough.
I got the rig for VHF contesting, but it looks so nice I'm almost afraid to take it up onto mountains! It's a real unique item for the shack!

W9WZJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 31, 2011 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Well, it is all mode....  Time owned: more than 12 months
After comparing the '736R on 6, 2 and 432 to my FT-847, FT-920, FT-100, FT-817, and the FT-290, I thought it to be deaf as a stone. I imagine with a MUTEK front end and INRAD filters, or mast mount preamps on all bands it might be "okay".
What it DOES have going for it is 222 and 1296 - IF you can afford/find the modules. 222s are going for near $400 and the 1296s are going for $800.
I did also like the fact that the power supply was internal. Mine did in fact work.

I ended up going with a decent old IF rig (FT-101E) and the transverter route (FTV-901R). If I could find a decent priced '736R with 222 and 1296, I might consider it again.

K1ZJH Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2010 11:46 Send this review to a friend
A better mousetrap!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, the 4 rating is solely based on the age of the radio, and common age related problems that are beginning to plaque these sets after many years of service. Otherwise, this radio would have rated five stars back fifteen or so years...

I own three FT-726Rs, two of which are restored parts units, and and recently became the owner of a fixer-upper FT-736R. Yaesu had addressed most of the concerns relating to the earlier FT-726R.

Mechanical improvements include modified covers that no longer bind the front panel; this problem often caused stress cracks on the panel edges when the covers were removed from the FT-726R. The decorative metal trim pieces on the handles are now cast metal, and not plastic.

The biggest improvements include internal VOX, more memories, a CW keyer board, a much improved tone encoder option, and the availability of optional modules for 220 MHz and 1296 MHz. 902 MHz coverage would have been nice, but it was probably too late to add it to the product lineup. Except for six meters, the modules are rated at 25 watts RF output. The 430 MHz offers full 20 MHz coverage from 430 to 450 MHz, eliminating the need for two modules as was needed for full UHF coverage in the FT-726R. The FT-736R will handle four bands, 144 and 430 MHz coverage is built in. These band modules are not discrete boxes, they are multisection board assemblies that are installed permanently on upper main chassis. Thus, they cannot be swapped or easily removed for service. That leaves two slots for the three remaining band mdoule options that were offered.

The optional CW filter is the same CF-455MC Yaesu filter used in the FT-726R and other rigs. Other vendors still offer improved replacement CW filters for these models. The styling and panel layout was well thought out. The FT-736R cabinet is slightly wider than the FT-726R and needs a few more inches of desktop.

Shortcomings are mostly age related. The internal switching power is a weak link. Failed units are usually repairable, but most owners opt to run the rig from a quieter external DC source or an improved, more modern OEM replacement switcher in place of the old, dated Yaesu design. Some folks have reported dimming FP displays, unfortunately there is little parts support for these units being so far out of production. Accidently applying 12 VDC to the external PTT lines will destroy the uP in the control board, another impossible to find part.

I wish the radio had fewer "whiskers," it must have been the cream of the crop in its day. Nothing today surpasses it. A pity. A FT-736R that has been well taken care of and free of problems remains one of the better solutions for all band VHF/UHF coverage in a single box.

I'd suggest looking for a unit that has every needed option in a single purchase. Bought seperately, the individual prices for the optional CW filter, CW keyer, and especially the 6 meter, 220 or 1296 band modules can quickly escalate the final expenditure to eye popping level. Paying 500 bucks for a stripped down FT-736, followed by another 700 hundred dollars--or more--for the missing accessories is often far more costly than finding a fully loaded unit to begin with. The 1296 modules are scarce, and are often priced between 600 and 700 dollars on the auction sites. Likewise, the CW filter, keyer board, tone encoder and remaining band modules are also highly sought after.

To summarize, Yaesu could have added a bit more to the radio, as noted in earlier reviews. Yet, it is light years ahead of the FT-726R in features and performance. Yaesu built and improved the tradition of the FT726R. It is a shame that newer models were never developed or marketed.

K6HOM Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2010 15:24 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the past year, I have frequently used, admired and coveted my buddy's 736R. Finally got my own within the past month, but I count my experience with this rig as a full year. Mine is the 144/440/6M configuration, to which I hope to add 220 and 1.2GHz modules, someday (dropping 6M, which my HF rig covers). I love the full-size box, the layout of the controls, and the dedicated switches and knobs for all functions. The build quality is superb, much better than currently available VHF/UHF tranceivers.

This has become my favorite rig. It is a lot of fun to operate all of those controls, a joy that was missing with the mobile 2M rig that I had been using in my shack. The receiver is sensitive and yields readable weak signals significantly more often than my other rigs that tune the same frequencies. I want to get into satellite DX, so this rig is a natural.

Initially, I thought that the modest transmitter output would be a drawback. But I made a series of signficant antenna improvements in terms of type, setup and height and have been very pleased with the results. The more experienced guys are right, a great antenna really helps every radio.

I run my 736R with an external DC P.S., the result is that the radio runs cooler and the RX background is much more quiet.

Some might want more memory capacity, alpha tagging, and more output power, but I'll take it just as it is. If you like 144/220/440/1.2GHz, I don't believe that you can go wrong with a 736R. I smile every time that I use it, it is my dream VHF/UHF rig.

KE5WCE Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2010 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own a Yaesu FT-736r it has the added 6m in it,SP-767 speaker,MD-1 mic and also the hand mic. This is one great radio I have used this radio everyday and like it more and more everytime I use it VHF/UHF SSB the receive it A+ also have a FT-857D but the 736R is the first choice in the shack. to bad they dont make them like this anymore would be very hard to replace with a new radio. Thanks and 73

DL1AIW Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 04:37 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the FT 736 R for more than a year now and nothing can be said against ist, maybe exept the big size, which is al little unusual compared to more recent transceivers. Being no satellite fan I use ist mainly for DX (SSB mode and CW with external keyer) and in contests from our clubstation am I am fully satisfied with the performance. It is much better on 2 m and 70 cm than any recent rig I know. Sensitivity, noise and also ergonomics are outstanding; modern manufacurers should take a look this transceiver to learn what seems to be forgotten in the field of VHF/UHF-rigs.

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2008 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it second hand with 2/220/440 and 6 meters installed. A little complicated at the programing, but it does a nice job on repeaters and satellites. Have not had any problems with the unit and it has enough bells and whistles to keep anyone happy.