Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | Yaesu DVS-2 (on the FT1000MP) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu DVS-2 (on the FT1000MP)
Yaesu DVS-2 (on the FT1000MP) Reviews: 21 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: (missing—add Description)
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu DVS-2 (on the FT1000MP).

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2009 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Works FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years of use, and being used on 3 different radios,and numerous contests, the DVS-2 was a very good investment. Properly setup it works perfectly, and the secret is setting it up.
I've experimented and played with it using different mikes, Shure 444D, MD1 Yaesu, Heil 4 & 5, Kenwood MC60A and the hand mikes that came with the radios, and always have been told the audio is very good. The best of the bunch is the Shure, it just seems to have more audio punch than the others. A while back while on 80M with some friends, I made a quick recording, I was on my 1000 Field, using the MD1, and asked if there was any difference in the audio between a live transmission, and the recorded transmission of the DVS-2. Nobody noticed any difference.
If you can find one, buy it, set it up properly, and be happy.

VE7ABC Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2006 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Good So Far  Time owned: months
I recently picked one of these little units up. Having read a variety of reports about the poor audio and the expence of the DVS-2, I was a little concerned if I had made the right purchase. I searched the net, and ran across an article on the proper setup of the unit (just as others have recently mentioned here), and so far no problems with the audio from the DVS-2. I've done a check with others on the air, and they say that the audio is excellant (I used a headset with the Heil 4 cartridge), as I will be using the unit under contest conditions.
As I said, so far so good. My rig is the FT100MP MKV Field, and when my FT990 arrives next week, I'm going to use it on that rig also.
I'll give a further report after a couple of contests, but it's a good purchase so far.

HA3FIN Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2005 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use it for half a year.It has a good audio quality. Ower a KW I haven't got any problem with it!
I compered it with a VK-64, and I didn't find any audio diference!

I think the VK-64 is better choice, because it has a bigger memory, it's include a memory keyer and you can remote it from keyboard!

The VK-64 is not to more expensive as the DVS.

73 & dx
ha3fin
Rob

PA7TWO Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2005 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Unit does the job, with the correct 'recording' settings.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all the reviews about this unit but still I decided to buy the unit, to try it out myself.

Like described in many earlier reviews, use the supplied hand-held microphone, lower the mic input & power output and switch off the speech processor, it results into recorded audio that sounds nice and crispy.
Yaesu should have mentioned these settings in the manual...

Audio sounds a bit 'harsh' when the monitor function on the 1000mp rig is used. However, when monitored on another radio, it sounds fine!

I remember I had the same kinda problems with the voice keyer from Kenwood in my TS-850sat.... Too loud audio and that one needed a hardware modification to fix the problem...

A 4/5 rating due to the high unit price. Performance wise, a 5/5, and yes I would buy it again.

Vy 73, de Kees pa7two - m5two

KB4QLZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2005 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great..  Time owned: more than 12 months
This DVK works great if you have your rig controls set properly.

KB4QLZ

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2004 23:20 Send this review to a friend
works on FT-1000D  Time owned: more than 12 months
for those interested, I have used this unit on the FT-1000D for 2 years, turn down the AF/RF controls and the vox off. works fine and have never had bad reports on ssb. so for what it is worth I find it save's my voice plenty in the contests and dx pileups...this works fine for recording, then just crank up the rf and go..

KY1V Rating: 3/5 Jul 15, 2002 01:47 Send this review to a friend
Mixed Emotions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all the lousy reviews on this product, I had to find out what all the fuss was about. I ordered one!

HRO messed up my order and sent me the MFJ434. I was disappointed until I found that it had the right MIC cables and was ready to plug in to my Mark V. After about an hour of tinkering with the MFJ, I was frustrated and put it back in the box. Typical MFJ junk. I was once again disapointed!

I called HRO (1 day B4 contest) and told them they shipped the wrong unit. They sent the DVS-2 overnight and it arrived the next morning, an hour and a half into the contest. Fortunately, I was operating mixed mode and started in CW mode.

I was excited. It was simple to use. I plugged it in and made my recording. HOLY COW. The audio was terrible. Every bit as bad as the claims made here! After fiddling with the unit for about 10 minutes, I turned down the RF, turned off the processor and turned the MIC gain almost all the way down. I made my recordings and they were near perfect. Off to SSB I went.

The unit operated flawlessly throughout the contest and I rarely used the MIC.

Here are my conclusions:

1) Use the stock MIC when recording messages. This is an inconvenience as I paid dearly for my MD200A8X and I shouldn't have to switch MIC's to record.

2) Follow everyone elses suggestions...turn down rf, mic gain, turn off processor...don't yell into the MIC.

3) Even after following all of the above recommendations, the DVS-2 is real scratchy during the first 2 to 3 seconds of recording. It sounds like the static you hear during an electrical storm. I have found that if I push the MEMO button, start speaking, the push the MSG button I wish to record over, I get a nice clean recording.

Overall, it is a pain to make recordings, however, once they are made, it is a great contesting unit. I think for all the inconveniences, Yaesu ought to give these things FREE when you buy a Mark V!

I will probably continue to use it until I get a better sound card for my Micron PC and build an interface. With all of the digital sampling software available, I think one can surely build a better contest recorder.

N1API Rating: 1/5 Apr 14, 2002 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Problems and more problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I ordered my 1000 MP MK V I was excited that I was ording the full
package including the DVS-2 Voice Keyer. I received it just before a
contest and thought that I had the world by the tail.

After the contest one of the local hams called and said that he listend to
me and it sounded like I had a nasty 60 HZ hum on my signal. We did
some testing and sure enough there was a BIG hum there. I packaged
that thing up an sent it back tor replacement. Unfortually since it was
just over the 10 day limit it was sent to Yasesu for repair.

About three weeks later the thing arrived back, and they did replace
some parts so I put it back on the air, calling the same local as
before to listen to it. The problem still persisted! I went so far as
to turn EVERYTHING in the shack off except the radio. Still a big
60 HZ hum. I tried everything that I could. I found that I could
minimize the hum by holding the unit straight up in the air as far
away from as the radio as possible. I thought that maybe the hum was
introduced by the microphone, or maybe a computer monitor or
something, but even with no microphone, the processor off and the
the mic and proc gain controls all the way down the DVS-2 still
recorded a 60 HZ hum.

There seem to be an inherent engineering problem with this peice
of equipent that needs to be further investigatated.

(By the way I replaced it with a MFJ-434 Voice Keyer which has
been a charm.)

VK2LV Rating: 2/5 Jun 11, 2001 23:59 Send this review to a friend
DVS-2/FT990 disappoints for off-air recording  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the DVS-2 only for recording and playback of received SSB during QSO's. I agree with other comments that on playback it overdrives the audio badly and sounds harsh with over-restricted audio frequency range. Result - the other station gets a false view of his signal quality.
Some improvement if speech processor turned off on replay and RF gain reduced on record.
The favourable reports posted here seem to all refer only to operator self-recording through mike [eg for contesting) and it might work well in that mode when transmitted. The instruction booklet in fact only deals with that mode of use and that may be because of its shortcomings for off-air recording.

AC6AA Rating: 0/5 Mar 17, 2001 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Why contaminate your great 1000MP audio?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was hoping to be able to record other stations and play back their signals on the air. Although the manual did not mention the ability to transmit recorded received signals...the DVS-2 is capable of doing that. Discovered that the recording quality was terrible. Tried reducing mike gain, backed away from the mike, etc., but still no real improvement. Recorded a strong, clear, local station and played that back ---it also sounded bad. Yaesu in California told me there was nothing that I could adjust to affect the quality. Returned my DVS-2 to Burghardt and they sent me a new one. Same results! The audio quality was unacceptable. Finally returned the second DVS-2 for credit. Why contaminate a beautiful sounding radio with a Mickey Mouse recorder?