Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hy-Gain Discoverer 7-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain Discoverer 7-3
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1071
Description: Monoband linear loading 40 meter 3 element beam.
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=DIR-73K

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain Discoverer 7-3.

AK2F Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2013 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Good value, needed some modifications  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good value for the money. There's nothing like having a 3 element beam on 40 meters! Lots of DX when it's dark out, and always someone to work during daytime. Mine is on a 50 ft crank-up tower. Higher would be better.

Working 1000 miles during daytime is normal. DX on first try is also the norm (with amplifier).

This antenna seemed to be designed for CW part of the band many years ago. Constructed it with the dimensions in the manual for lower part of SSB portion. The pattern was not what I expect from a 3 element. Besides for tightening the linear loading bolts, I found I needed to shorten the ends of the elements as follows:
Reflector: 51.75"
Driven Element: 33"
Director: 13.75"

Pattern is now what I expect from 3 elements. F/B about 20 dB, and good side rejection. Compare to 120' flat top at same height, and beam is 7-10 dB stronger. Typically about 2 S units. Could lengthen the tubing and shunt out some of the linear loading to improve efficiency. Longest element is 43'. 36' boom.

Will continue to test the new dimensions, and then will post up on mods.dk

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just placed my Discoverer 7-3 and I am very happy with the results. It is a good mono band antenna for 40 meters. The gain is not top notch but it is very good. One thing I like very much about this antenna is that it doesn't look so big seen from under. I would recommend this antenna to anyone searching for a good antenna that doesn't look massive or need a special rotor to turn. Front to back is not so good, but front to side is excellent.
If you want to see some pictures of it installed visit my web page you can find it in QRZ.com