Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-736 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-736
ICOM IC-736 Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1600 - 1800
Description: 160-6Meter Transceiver w/built-in tuner
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-736.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-736.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 15:05 Send this review to a friend
geeze  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one..and I am still kicking myself for selling it. what a great rig. I should have sold something else when I needed the money..learned a hard lesson.

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Very good 6 meter radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one of these in the 90's and just bought one as a back-up for my K3. The audio is easier to listen to than the K3. The selectivity is down from the K3, but not by much. The sensitivity is far better than the K3 without the K3's preamp. Transmit audio is excellent, I use a Heil mic. If you can find one, you will love it.

MM0XXW Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2016 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a rock ....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If it's lots of bells 'n' whistles you're looking for don't buy this however if you want a rock steady performer grab it with both hands.
The large display screen is easy to read and not cluttered so you can see what's going on at a glance, internal psu is quiet as a mouse and the internal atu is quick and efficient in it's performance.
PBT and Notch filter works flawlessly.
If I had an issue it would be the colour of the writing on the pad/buttons but this has been mentioned already but on a well lit desk it isn't that much of an issue as to reduce points here.
I've had excellent 'on-air' reports regarding the audio, I use an aviation headset, with quite moderate settings and even using the hand mic the audio is very acceptable.
HF-6m with built-in psu and atu ..... what's not to like!
Good examples don't come along to often and when they do they are not expensive to buy, in todays DSP world, however if you come across one you will not regret your purchase one little bit!

G0WHY Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2015 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Welcome back to an old friend   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these when they first came out in the 90's. Terrific radio, which I sold when I acquired an Icom 781. I regretted that and have now managed to source one again for Ģ400 in very good condition. Very happy.

KA1WI Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2015 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Fundamentals at work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it because I lost patience with MENUE(s), I love menus in good restaurants, not in radios. Second reason DSP radios can't handle noise, they just amplify it. not the good old analog 736, smooth receiver and simple access to the fundamental parameters of ham operation.

I did notice the audio response of the RX was too wide and low audio frequencies were swamping the speech. I found the main selectivity SSB filter FL-30 had been replaced by a much broader filter. I retrofitted it and selectivity is now sharp with enhanced audio.

Another observation, a hardly noticeable hiss is there on receive. This time the problem seems to be more complex. With radio disconnected from the antenna I terminated the antenna radio input with a 50 ohms resistor. The hiss dropped almost gone. The lower bands more prone to
it. This will indicate that an active device is acting as a noise source in the front end of the receiver. When the port is terminated with a 50 ohms resistor the noise energy drops. I suspect one of the switching diodes or perhaps all of them.

Has anyone experienced this problem, I wonder. If I can cure this hiss it will be a fine radio indeed. Other rigs have similar problems traceable to the choice of wrong PIN diodes switching the receiver front end BPFs.

I like the fact the radio has its own power supply. It is very well shielded and causes no detectable noise. I had to replace the AC input filter. Power supply noise was radiating from there, luckily I had a better filter than the original which I assume is defective.

best 73's to all

Jac
KA 1 WI

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 19:21 Send this review to a friend
All you need!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio has a beautiful amber display, big s-unit analog meter, PBT and notch that work great, and receives and talks as an Icom should. I love the built in power supply. The radio is rock steady on receive frequency and the internal speaker sounds really loud. The 736 has vox and 6 meters. There are two antenna ports on the back. The tuner works fast. This is a nice sized base radio that is easy to operate and not a strain on your eyes. If you like older radios without all the DSP that get the job done, this is all you need!

K7MYR Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this piece of equipment since the late 90's When I traded a KW TS-690s + cash for it. It has always operated flawlessly!

I have tried ALL the digital modes that FLDIGI has to offer and they worked well every time!

Lately, I have been using it with FREEDV [Digital Voice] and it "just works".

The big display, internal power supply,rock solid stability, 160-6m band coverage, 100w continuous output and internal 160-6 tuner make this rig compare favorably with the newest stuff on the market for a fraction of the price.

I would rate this thing a "10" if that rating was available!

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 21:06 Send this review to a friend
The Perfect Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my IC-736 for nearly a year. I reluctantly sold my IC-729 to buy this one and even though I miss the little 729 which i rarely used, the 736 is fantastic. I bought the IC-736 as my recent backup rig because of the 6m high power output when compared to the 729's low power 10w rating. I've own(ed) many of Yaesu's biggest and baddest rigs and have used Icom's best as of late but there's something really special about owning/using an IC-736. Of course the size, look, feel, and front panel is gorgeous. However, with cosmetics aside, the ergonomic controls and easy to use layout is a big hit in my opinion. It seems that this transceiver has all that's needed to get the job done and to be done well. The xmit audio is really great with the stock hand mic. Yes, that's what i said. The audio output is really good. I'm also a BIG fan of the receive sensitivity. It's an absolute pleasure to listen and have a QSO with. Frequency drift is zero on my rig. Power output is maintained. The auto tuner does great. I've used the rig for CW with my iambic and it's been fantastic. If you can find one of these models for sale on the used market, I suggest you pay whatever it takes to gain posession of it because this model should be known as one of the top 10 radios in all categories of all time. The only negatives as compared to many newer rigs is that individual filters are purchased and inserted rather than being integrated. But that's really minor because once you put your choice of a couple filters in, the job is done for as long as you own the radio, Hihi.
73'

MW3FLI Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 14:01 Send this review to a friend
BEST RADIO I HAVE EVER OWNED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many years of looking i have finally managed to get my hands on an Icom Ic-736, i paid Ģ425 and it is worth ever single penny. The receive is brilliant and incredibly quiet and the transmit is also first class and fellow hams comment on the superb audio. I run it with an Icom Sm-20 desk mic and the matching Sp-21 external speaker and all i can say is it mat be old but it will give many new radios a run for there money.

VA3PWC Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 10:59 Send this review to a friend
If you find one.. Go grab it !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For so many years I was looking for IC736 in a prestine conditions.. and last year I was lucky to find one. I am the second owner and the previous owner had the original box, manuals and all acessories.. Of course I would pay more to have this radio....and I did it.
I am pretty happy with this gem !!! I do also have 746PRO, 7000, 756PRO3, Ten Tec Pegasus, TS940, and in my modest opinion this radio is all in one radio... It has built in PS + 6 mts + ATU.. So when I go to my mother-in-lawīs home I donīt have to worry to take anything else... Just the radio and thatīs it. No DSP, but itīs ok.. I donīt it for reception with the other radios.. Of course, using DSP on trasmitions makes a big difference, but I use a nice SM-20 microfone.
The radio has a HOT receiver, very quiet and PBT works very very well. I can compate it with 746PRO and PRO3 and my conclusion is almost the same receptions of course with some marginal diferences between them.. but very good receiver without DSP. This is a 20 years old radio and the quality hardware and internal components are really good. So if you find one.. donīt think twice... go grab it.. they are very rare these days and the still pricy !!