Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-736 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-736
ICOM IC-736 Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1600 - 1800
Description: 160-6Meter Transceiver w/built-in tuner

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-736.

OZ8BLR Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2012 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Wauuu  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All i one radio. Tuner,PSU and HF + 6m. No DSP fine for me. Use its for SSB and Digimode. Your eyes never get tired to look on this masterpice. I had a Icom 746Pro befor but this one is better :)
WA8IUR Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2012 10:22 Send this review to a friend
LOVE MINE  Time owned: more than 12 months
KI6NQT Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Worth looking into  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this one for several years without a problem. Power supply went south and after trying to get parts to repair was simpler to just build a outboard supply.
Very easy to use, easy on the eye's. Would recommend to anyone but don't see many for sale now!
VFO needs to run for about 15-20 to stabilze but after that rock solid. Nice processor.
KU7I Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 07:42 Send this review to a friend
real sleeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
The big yellow/amber LCD display on this rig makes is so pleasant to sit behind for hours and hours at a time. The analog S-meter also makes you just want to keep looking at the rig during a QSO. The NB works very very well on SOME types of noise, so well that it will completely kill it. But other types of noise such as atmospheric are virtually untouched. There is no adjusting the NB, it is either on or off. The BIG thing about this rig that just blows me away is HOW GOOD the built in audio speech processor works. The adjustment is on the back of the rig. I have mine set at about the 90% engaged level, yes, somewhat on the heavy side but let me tell you after hundreds of "A-B" testing with it on and off it makes an honest ONE s unit difference in signal strength. Just about everyone I talk with LOVES how good this processor works. It makes a HUGE difference in the xmit audio. I also have the mic gain set at about 75%. I use the Heil HMi mic with the HC-4 or HC-5 (switchable) cartridge. I always use the HC-5 element. The audio on this is hot, hot, and hot. The built in PS is a nice plus. This rig does NOT use 12 volt finals. I do not remember what they are. I have my power out level set to 130 watts on my Bird 43 wattmeter. The built in auto tuner is so-so. Not nearly as good as the Yaesu FT-990 or Knwd TS-850 but it does work. I use the external Icom Vox unit that they sold in the mid 90's only b.c I do a good amount of cw and use semi-qsk. I set the cw semi-qsk delay adjust on the back of the rig by adjust ing the vox delay. When using vox for ssb I use the outboard Icom EX-1214 (or whatever the number is) and it works perfect. For cw I have a pair of Icom 500 hz CW filters. I think they are the FL-52A and the FL-100. The two of them in tandem work FB. The PBT on this rig is HOT and really really works well. I also swithced out the stock ssb filter in one of the I.F. chains with the optional wider FL-70 ssb filter. I think it is a 2700 hz filter...the stock unit is 2400hz I believe. It opens up the audio just a touch. I do not use 6 meters much at all if ever but the rig will do 100 watts on that band also. For 160 meters I turn OFF the rcvr preamp and turn ON the attenuator and it helps very much in killing the QRN on this band. Also this rig has two ant ports which are selectable from the front panel. I was going to replace this rig with an Icom 746 PRO which I did buy brand new a few yrs ago but afer running the 746PRO for a few months I went back to this rig and siold the 746 PRO. That is how good this IC-736 is!!!! The BIG Amber/Yellow lcd display is absolutely beutiful to look at all day long. This rig really is a sleeper. I can not recommend it enough. Oh, the dual vfo thing is so easy to use I use it all the time when working split with dx. You really almost never need to read the manual. Icom did not pump out a lot of these and you do not see them for sale very often. The made a few verions of this, the 736, 737, and 738. I think the 736 has all of the "options" and the other two do not.....such as either the 737 or 738 do not have vox and one of these also does not have the built in PS.
GM0WNR Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2011 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Cracking radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been licensed for @15yrs and have had loads of rigs both new and second hand, and I have to say this ranks up there with the best of them. The receiver is super quiet but lively when the band is open. I am a keen CW operator but have only the standard rig without filters, I dont find I need any with the superb PBT. The power supply is built in to this rig with no provision for working from 12V, which is a bit of a pain but not enough to detract from a "perfect" score of 5. The radio is not filled with bells and whistles but I find it does all I need and more. The icing on the cake for me is a "proper" S-meter, and finally 100W on 6M! All in all a great rig and a great looker too, which of course is all important! I would'nt hesitate to buy another one and that comes from a confirmed Yaesu man! Hope to hear you on the bands soon on my IC-736, 73's from Scotland.
K6BSO Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2010 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Fine Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not much I can add to all the previous stellar reviews of this rig; I just wanted to mention that, despite its age, the IC-736 performs very well on the digital modes. I work PSK31 a lot and am often complimented for the signal quality of my station. If you were holding off on the purchase of a '736 over that, hesitate no more. About the only limitation I've come across is that it doesn't accept a PTT command over a CAT connection; that's easily worked around with the proper cable and most external sound card interfaces (I can recommend the SignaLink USB) will also do the job.

Overall, It's a fine transceiver that gives you everything you need with a simple, uncluttered interface without a lot of on-screen menus.

By the way, the '736 will also get compliments on its good looks from visiting hams!
KE5YRF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2010 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a pair of these great rigs for quite some time and I guess it's about time I finally wrote a review. I have one at home and the other in my rv and they work interchangeablely with absolutely no flaws. Sharp receive, great reports on xmit audio and an honest 100 watt output to just about anything I choose to use for an antenna. Simple to operate with not a lot of frills, but plenty of features for an old guy like me. If you can find one of these fine rigs on the used market, snap it up, or let me know where it is and I'll grab it.
K7LN Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2009 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig, but....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great radio for all the reasons that have been mentioned. However, mine had a problem with the built-in switching power supply oscillators beating against each other causing drifting birdies all over the bands.

I wrote an article about the problem in the April 2001 issue of QST. A few other hams responded with the same complaints. Icom never did offer any help and knew nothing of the situation. The power supply is unusual in that it generates 24 volts for the TX side of things. The 24 volts is then used to generate 12 volts that supplies RX and probably low level TX. It wouldn't be an easy or convient thing to use an external DC supply for the rig.

Since 6 meters wasn't used in my area, I went for a nice 738 instead.
KA7SLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 12:32 Send this review to a friend
What a Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a IC-736 Owner from almost 14 years ago and just bought my latest IC-736 from a silent key back East. This thing looks brand new, just out of the box.

When I fired it up, it tuned right up and the old memories of this great radio from long ago flooded in.

This radio has a HOT receiver and DSP was never required back then and NOT required now. Both the ICOM 736 and 738 where huge out-performers back then and even today.

The Icom-736 (with 6 mtrs) is such a rare find. Jump on one. They still are pretty pricy in the $600 to $800 dollar range.

One should consider this instead of a underpowered new entry HF rig.

DJ5PJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 09:06 Send this review to a friend
very good !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Itīs my own - since 13 years - and it is a outstanding Transceiver with Power-line - Input. It works flawless from the first day - not to sell ! DJ 5 PJ