Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-736 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-736
ICOM IC-736 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1600 - 1800
Description: 160-6Meter Transceiver w/built-in tuner
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-736.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-736.

KJ6BSO Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2010 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Fine Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not much I can add to all the previous stellar reviews of this rig; I just wanted to mention that, despite its age, the IC-736 performs very well on the digital modes. I work PSK31 a lot and am often complimented for the signal quality of my station. If you were holding off on the purchase of a '736 over that, hesitate no more. About the only limitation I've come across is that it doesn't accept a PTT command over a CAT connection; that's easily worked around with the proper cable and most external sound card interfaces (I can recommend the SignaLink USB) will also do the job.

Overall, It's a fine transceiver that gives you everything you need with a simple, uncluttered interface without a lot of on-screen menus.

By the way, the '736 will also get compliments on its good looks from visiting hams!

KE5YRF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2010 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a pair of these great rigs for quite some time and I guess it's about time I finally wrote a review. I have one at home and the other in my rv and they work interchangeablely with absolutely no flaws. Sharp receive, great reports on xmit audio and an honest 100 watt output to just about anything I choose to use for an antenna. Simple to operate with not a lot of frills, but plenty of features for an old guy like me. If you can find one of these fine rigs on the used market, snap it up, or let me know where it is and I'll grab it.

K7LN Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2009 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig, but....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great radio for all the reasons that have been mentioned. However, mine had a problem with the built-in switching power supply oscillators beating against each other causing drifting birdies all over the bands.

I wrote an article about the problem in the April 2001 issue of QST. A few other hams responded with the same complaints. Icom never did offer any help and knew nothing of the situation. The power supply is unusual in that it generates 24 volts for the TX side of things. The 24 volts is then used to generate 12 volts that supplies RX and probably low level TX. It wouldn't be an easy or convient thing to use an external DC supply for the rig.

Since 6 meters wasn't used in my area, I went for a nice 738 instead.

KA7SLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 12:32 Send this review to a friend
What a Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a IC-736 Owner from almost 14 years ago and just bought my latest IC-736 from a silent key back East. This thing looks brand new, just out of the box.

When I fired it up, it tuned right up and the old memories of this great radio from long ago flooded in.

This radio has a HOT receiver and DSP was never required back then and NOT required now. Both the ICOM 736 and 738 where huge out-performers back then and even today.

The Icom-736 (with 6 mtrs) is such a rare find. Jump on one. They still are pretty pricy in the $600 to $800 dollar range.

One should consider this instead of a underpowered new entry HF rig.

DJ5PJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 09:06 Send this review to a friend
very good !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Itīs my own - since 13 years - and it is a outstanding Transceiver with Power-line - Input. It works flawless from the first day - not to sell ! DJ 5 PJ

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2008 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Just Damn good!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these fine radios for 2 years now. Picked it up from an estate sale. I can not think of a bad thing to say abt it! Shortly after I received the radio I called Malcholm at MIT and asked abt known problems with the radio. There are no major problems! The only thing he related to me was that SOMETIMES the nylon adapters on the shafts dry out and crack. A easy fix. The radio preforms day in and day out with no glitches. Sell it? Nope. Buy another one, yes is a heartbeat. Preforms as good or better than the $2K TS-2000X sitting next to it.

W5DPK Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2008 19:54 Send this review to a friend
If you can own just one radio, this is it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough good things about about the Icom 736. I have added the CW filter, the high stability crystal and the speaker. It is very easy to use and does everything very well. The only SMALL drawback is a few birdies in six meters.

If you find one buy it! If you own only one radio this is the one to have. Everything is in one easy to carry box and is great for portable use.

Every time I see the old boy I bought it from he asks me if I am ready to sell it back to him. I just smile and shake my head no thanks.

Dennis kw5g

WA1JBB Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2008 11:52 Send this review to a friend
An excellent rig !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am one of the luck ones. I have two of them in mint condition - grabbed them on Ebay 3 years ago and they rarely pop up these days! Reliable, 6 meters, good internal tuner and built in power supply - it is a classic rig. I am operating overseas now and always get nice CW and SSB reports. The IC736 is a pleasure to use, a beautiful, reliable radio and if you ever get the chance to grab one in good condition - do so. My antenna here is not very good - a dipole - but I can still hear the difficult signals and I am heard, keyer is smooth - no problems. Nice.......

PD5L Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2008 14:54 Send this review to a friend
My F1RS Icom and a keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first Icom that I own, I wanted a base radio and came across this one second hand market. By reading the good reviews on the radio I decided to buy it.
I enjoy the radio very much, use 25W into a 3 el. multi band beam and have nice results on 10,20 and 40 meters.

73'Edwin PD5L (novice)

PA1SK Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2007 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost all the reviews gave a rating of 5 to this great rig.I wondered if it would still be useful to give my opninion of this rig.I have been working with it for 10 years and the 736 deserves it to write a review! Never there were problems, very reliable, although I used it with many experiments!
Very good audio,also with intern speaker,very good audio quality (tx).Easy to handle,good intern powersupply and ant.tuner.The selectivity is good,it has a very quiet receiver which does a good job in the overcrowded 7mHz band in Europe.
Inside you see good and solid workmanship!
When you see one passing by(second) dont hesitate
und buy it. The Icom 736 has deserved well of us radioamateurs up to now and will probably do so in the time to come.