Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G6 Aviator Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G6 Aviator
Grundig G6 Aviator Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$100
Description: portable general coverage and airband

You can write your own review of the Grundig G6 Aviator.

N5LXI Rating: 1/5 Jul 31, 2016 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Sticky!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio is cute and ok, but it now has SUPER STICKY rubber. Yucky to pickup. Evidently some batches of China rubber are like that. Not good.

MIKEL Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2016 01:00 Send this review to a friend
Hit or Miss Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Judging from other reviews, this radio's performance seems binary. Either it works or doesn't work. I've had mine for about 5 years. My G6 performs very well. Very good sensitivity. The AIR band is kind of a joke but I don't really have an interest in it. Bottom line- was it worth $50? For me the answer is yes.

KL7JBB Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2015 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Needs a Good Scrubbin'  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine used for $2.00 at a garage sale, mainly to rescue it from the garbage. It was operational, but suffering from the apparently common self-destructing, melting finish. I spent a couple of hours cleaning it with medical alcohol pads (70% isopropyl) and now have a degooed -if ugly- great little radio. Much easier to pack than my YB-400. I'd be FUMING if I had bought this radio new, even for $59.95 and had the finish liquefy. I have yet to really put it through its paces (I prefer boatanchors at home), but will take it camping this summer and see what it does.

NB5VO Rating: 0/5 Mar 21, 2014 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Garbage  Time owned: more than 12 months
I threw this radio in the trash literally. The case became liquid sticky rubber where fingers could not touch radio due to glue like material they use to make the case. It probably also causes cancer. I can let go my fingers hang the radio with the gluey sticky case. Special solvent needed to remove residue from hand. I have other grundig and they are made from same chemical glue case so i will be disposing of them also. I am buying sony or eton which uses regular plastic. To bad because I like the tuning knob.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for RFI hunting  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It covers full HF. Has S-meter and an external antenna connector. The telescopic antenna can be folded to reduce sensitivity. Also AM airband that MFJ uses for its sniffer. Light. Two tuning speeds. Decent sensitivity in SSB.
On sale in RS at $35. A steal to search for RFI sources.

Otherwise, pretty good FM and high HF sensitivity. A bit weird tuning in SSB on slow but I would complain if it cost $200.

KH6VP Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2011 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Shortwave + aviation radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio from amazon.com for about $60. What a great radio this is. Previously I bought a Kaito with SSB but the G6 beats it easily.
I used in Hawaii during a recent trip.
What I like about it:
- Airband: OK, it doesn't have squelch but it is great to listen to the airband. All you need is a frequency. And you can store it easily in one of the banks used for this purpose. The sentitivity is adequate for the job.
- SSB: Yes it has SSB and offers two tuning modes: fast and slow. Fast tunes at 1KHz increments; Slow tunes in .1KHz increments below and above each 1KHz step. You are on the exact frequency one slow step before next KHz digit change. Great for listening to utilities such Air Traffic Control, ARINC, Shannon and Shanwick, VOLMET etc. It is also great for tuning in to 11300KHz for Cairo/Khartoum/Tripoli ATC (there are no VHF frequencies in many African areas so much traffic is on 11300).
FM is also great. In addition, even though it can be set to 10KHz steps in medium wave, you can still type in 9KHz step frequencies (like those in Europe).
- It is very sensitive with the whip antenna; an external antenna is a great addition.

What I dont like:
- The power switch is easily turned-on. A couple of times I used up the batteries while in my pocket as it has unknowingly turned on. Now I reverse one of the batteries when I pack it in my carry-on bag.
- There is no lighted keypad, so not easy to tune at night.

All in all an excellent radio and a steal at that price.

KJ6ELV Rating: 3/5 Mar 5, 2011 00:25 Send this review to a friend
here's more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Also I forgot to add in my previous review that the Signal meter is totally useless on side-band, it always stays at max no matter whether your receiving a signal or not. A good point is that there are plenty of memories in this little thing (700). Also the audio is pretty good for a small speaker.

KJ6ELV Rating: 3/5 Mar 3, 2011 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Is Ok considering size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio for $59.99 on Ebay mainly because I wanted a single-sideband capable radio that could fit in my pocket, I was also interested in the aircraft band receive.
The AM and FM broadcast band reception is pretty good, on AM it is able to pick up multiple DX stations clearly at night, it is about as good as a stock AM/FM car radio (the radio in my car has a pretty good receiver and can pull in FM stations clearly from a city about 60 miles away, and can also pull in alot of AM DX stations at night).
On shortwave it is OK but on the lower end (below 5mhz) you can hear inter-mod from local AM broadcast stations even if you picking up a fairly strong signal such as WWV. Also if you try to use an external antenna on shortwave the intermod gets a lot worse and it effects the higher HF frequencies as well. The good part though is that it is able to pull in somewhat weaker shortwave stations and it is able to tune in hams using single-sideband.
The aircraft band is marginal at best, the general coverage receiver in my Yaesu VX-6 receives aircraft much better than this thing does with just a rubber-duck. Since they advertise this radio as an aviator radio that receives aircraft transmissions, it is very poor, and they should've done alot better. It only receives the signals OK if you are near an airport and if there isn't any FM broadcast inter-mod on the frequency you are trying to listen to (there is lots of FM inter-mod across the entire AIR band). Also like on shortwave, when using the external antenna on the aircraft band, the inter-mod from local broadcast stations also worsens.
Also I noticed that the volume control has no effect until you get to level 10, there is absolute silence below volume level 10.
All in all it is a pretty decent radio considering the size, and the price isn't too bad either for what it does. But if want to use it to receive airport traffic then forget it and use something else like a scanner or something else that has a general coverage receiver.

DAVER Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2011 09:21 Send this review to a friend
For what it is, a GREAT radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the size of this radio it performs very well. I got it when RS was unloading them from inventory and am glad I did. Here's what I like and don't like...

Likes:
-Very portable. I carry this with me every day to/from work on public transportation. It fits in the pocket (just lock the keys).

-Very sensitive. While this is a double edged feature, I personally love it. People say do not attach an antenna to the jack or it will overload, that's kinda true. BUT, if someones a very casual SWL only the Kaito KA33 makes for a nice ultra portable loop antenna to match it. At home I DO hook the G6 up to much larger dipoles and then feed them through a home built preselector and this thing shines. It takes 50ohm or 75ish ohm very nicely. So you can even just use rg6 with F to miniplug mono converter if you want. As long as you can match the impedance of the antenna properly and use some preselection you can really put this mini radio into a new class. It eliminates interference, intermod, lowers noise floor, lets signals roll in.

- SSB works great on clean-ish signals. If you're loaded down with noise, not so good.

- Great fidelity on clean signals. I use this as a measurement for the radio... On good signal can flip the mega bass switch for great audio. Not so clean and you can't.

- Even though this runs off of 4.5v plugged in, it runs great off of 2 rechargables as well (and can charge them for you too!).

- Auto FM station grabber to memory works great... especially when traveling and just want some local traffic, music...whatever.

- Air band works great... with external antenna. Without one you will randomly be able to copy stuff but noise floor is way to high. not sure why you can adjust the whip to proper length and loaded with noise, just plug one in same size and can work great. Ohh no scanning either so you need to know your freqs. I keep them all saved in memory.

What I don't like:

- There is some sort of glitch in the memory functions and you will randomly overwrite one while switching to it. Really keeps me from enjoying the use of memories more. Would have to keep external backup for seriouse use (700 memories!)

- S meter kinda works. It actually works better with large external antenna than with whip. But its a "chunked" one with 3 or 4 levels and makes it look like 9.

- Static noise comes through at a very high pitch. This is b/c the radio offers great fidelity, but still is a draw back.

- Can't disable ferrite bar for MW/LW... so beware if you are into those that you can't use external antenna.

- To save room every button has multiple functions when off, on, depending on what menu you're in...etc. I can set alarm easily, but if time gets reset hafta pull out instructions. You have to set the time proper as well or there will be confusion with alarm system. Set it to UTC then hafta program your location in and it will adjust everything.

- While you CAN copy CW on this thing... it would need to be uncrowded. Otherwise you get the crazy sounds of 100 people tapping away. On the plus though it's very stable and if you plug the audio into comp you can easily copy multiple PSK and CW at same time! I like having an ultra portable that I can use to read PSK with laptop.

So all in all, for what it is, the G6 is a GREAT radio. I actually don't know why they aren't producing these more. They are actually very nice. It's the only ultra-portable I know of with ssb, external jack...etc. Buzz Aldrin should be proud to have his name on it...

Would definitely replace if broken.

KB0XR Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2011 07:01 Send this review to a friend
okay for its price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine on closeout at Rat Shack. SW performance very nice but forget the airband. Birdies all over the place. SSb kinda fiddley but still for $59.95 I like it.