Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G6 Aviator Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G6 Aviator
Grundig G6 Aviator Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$100
Description: portable general coverage and airband

You can write your own review of the Grundig G6 Aviator.

ZS1JHG Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2010 08:24 Send this review to a friend
True do it all portable receiver  Time owned: months
I was surprised with the audio quality on Am,Fm and SW from such a tiny portable.Great FM stereo on supplied earphones.Equal to my wifes new Sanyo
CD/MP3/Radio and better than my cellphone.

SSB works well using the jog set to fast and then final tune up set to slow.Impressed with the easy operation of the tuning using the jog and dual tuning knob ie spin on top then fine tune with milled the edge.
You even get a signal strength indicator and external antenna socket.
The tactile experience is also good with the non slip rubberised finish and solid buttons.
The display although small is very clear.
Reception on the aircraft band is also very good.
and compares well to a popular multiband HF/VHF/UHF amateur transceiver.
A well designed practical portable SW Receiver.
I have the Eton Buzz Aldrin Edition

N0JYC Rating: 1/5 Aug 5, 2010 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Disappointment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Flat out did not work well for me. It may be my area. I'm not far from an airport -- nothing! SSB - Distorted. SWL - distorted. Lots and lots of birdies, distortions and overloads. I had bought it at the full price - definitely not worth it -- I would not spend $50 on it either.

Worked okay as an AM/FM radio and nothing more for nearby stations.

W2WO Rating: 2/5 Aug 4, 2010 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Forget it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had it several months. OK for listening to mono FM, otherwise forget it. I was not expecting a high-end receiver for this price but I am quite disappointed with it. Front end overloads on almost anything, producing distortion. Birdies and IMD(?) all over the place. Audio on even strong signals is poor. The one place scanning might help (aircraft band) it does not function (by design). Push button controls for volume are simply irritating.

The case and construction on my unit are solid; the buttons and display work, and so forth. It seems well put together in a physical sense.

Believe it or not, I am not usually a complainer.

W2WO

KB5KWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
..cute..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am rating the radio vs. the purchase price amount, which in my case was about $50.oo. FM works fine, good sound with ear plugs. I listen to some AM but but mainly SW.. AM and SW both work surprisingly well at my location . ..and the SSB works too, just set the fine tuning to slow and then go.. CW can be had as well.. ..Filter?.. use the one in your head.. Bleedover can be a problem here, usually early in the morning as WWLS and KOMA kick up their power.. I wouldnt rate the G6 high in relation to the original asking price, ( $100.oo plus ) but for $50.00 I'm really enjoying it..

N0SOY Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2010 14:32 Send this review to a friend
nice little compact  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got one of these as a extra radio (like I need a reason) It is a nice little radio. it does very well using the whip antenna and improves with a long wire added. I am using it with a roll up antenna I got from Radio Shack about 20 years ago. So Nothing fancy. Remember it is a compact about the size of 2 decks of cards. The sound with headphones is very good. I would like a tone control or separate bass and treble controls but in a compact of this size you have to give some things up. Use real headphones not the throw away ear buds that they toss in the box. The reception is good and the receiver is sensitive but at time too sensitive I found that just playing with the antenna helps the problem. I would like a gain control but again this is a contact. The SSB works well with the control adjusting tone well. If you can not get it to work read the manual. The manual is sparse but still helpful. The only real complaint is the clicking as you tune. It is very annoying but most digitals do that so I guess that is part of it. The Air band is a nice addition to the radio.

You have to compare radios in its class. The G6 is a nice little radio. It is great for traveling and keeping in the car.

NO4L Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2009 17:13 Send this review to a friend
I Like Mine, But Don't Pay Full Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found mine on Amazon from Datavision for $35 + shipping (total $41.00).
The box has a sticker that says factory refurbished, Amazon showed it as new -- looks
new (but I could tell it had been handled a bit).

This is the first SSB/SWL portable I've had, so I'm
pretty amazed with it's performance. Out of the box
it is touchy -- press some buttons out of sequence
when accessing the functions of the radio and it can
make you think it's problematic. For the price, I'll keep it!

Within minutes I picked up SSB on 40M clearly out
of New York and Texas (I'm in Georgia). Later
during the night, I listened to a contest on 40M
coming out Louisianna. AM for me is great, FM too
-- I received a little from the local airport,
which was pretty much unintelligible. The audio
is pretty darn good I think for such a small unit.

Mine is the G6 Aviator (not the Buzz Aldrin
edition). I received it as an early Christmas present 2 days ago. After playing with one in
the local Radio Shack I went looking on the web,
just couldn't bring myself to pay full price.

73 & Merry Christmas!
Rob

N3HAM Rating: 1/5 Dec 13, 2009 08:26 Send this review to a friend
"A little lipstick, a little paint....etc."  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice looking radio but suffered badly from interference which made it unusable. My 1103s and 1102 (when it was working), so much better. Even though I got it for under $50 with a coupon from RS, I took it back for a refund. Sure would like to know where that RS is that lets you take two or three outside and out of the box to play with!

KB9NPH Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2009 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Neat litte unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the last person indicated RS had them on sale. Not sure about the close out! It does what you would expect of a little unit. I enjoy playing with this type of Radio, as I DO NOT expect desk top quality! It's a fun radio to carry around very good on AM or FM. SSB is okay, actually I got more worth than I expected. Air Band seems to have a lot of interference from a local AM station. For the sale price I most certainly got my monies worth.

SWL377 Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2009 15:26 Send this review to a friend
On sale now, $59 at the Shack.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Run to Radio Shack now as they are closing em out for $59, a real deal.

Pluses: small, synth, can do SSB (BFO style demod), lots of alpha tagged memories, good user interface, gets VHF AM aircraft band. LF (pretty deaf) and AM and FM broadcast bands, decent battery life from 2 AA cells, comes with AC wall wart PS too, not very selective, stable if you dont bump or move it fast. Great back lighting of LCD display. I listened to an SSB net on 80M for an hour without touching the fine tuning even once. Has rotary dial and numeric keypad tuning.

Minuses: microphonic (freq jiggles if you bump the radio), so-so audio, scan doesnt work on VHF AM. The microphonics can distort with a sort of acoustic feedback loop if you crank speaker volume up high while listening to SSB. S meter (LCD bargraph) isnt very useful, maxes out too soon. Has some birdies, but not a lot. Dynamic range is poor, could use an attenuator on nearby strong sigs

At $59 its worth every penny so go out and buy one. You just can't find a comparable rcvr for the price. Hurry, these will sell out fast once word gets around.

Mark

K2MMM Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2009 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Little Radio That Could  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a coupon for $15 off so for $85 you can not beat this radio. I wanted a small radio for the nightstand so this is good. Has light and earbuds which is what I wanted.I have a Sony ICF2002 which is great but has no light and is 2x the size of this radio.Side by side hard to tell the difference on SW.Air is ok and AM/FM is good also. SSB takes some getting used to but I had everything figured out in 10 minutes. It's no 2010 or Ham receiver but is great for what it is...

73 de Mike