Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi
Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $495.00
Description: Portable 6-band 20m - 6m portable 3 element Yagi antenna by W6MMA.

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi.

NM6E Rating: 4/5 Sep 8, 2010 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Good So Far-- Out of Business Now?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think they are out of business as the web site is down, no answers to the phone, email bounces etc (9/7/10).. Some dealers may have old stock.

Good So far.. Bought two years ago but it has had only weekend radio use sporadically in my CC&R area.

It's definitely a compromise antenna and now that the contest season is coming (yes, little pistol category), you may be better off with a Mosely Mini-Beam 33-Warc and have 'instant' band switching with similar results such as turn radius, wieght, AND the WARC Bands and use it with a tripod for HOA restricted areas.. It goes up and comes back down.

Changing bands is a pain in a contest, especially now with the bands starting to slightly improve...

Never really put power into it but it has some F/B that is perceivable.

Tuning at first takes a bit of time... I marked the antenna with different color permanent markers for each band (red-20m, green-15m, black-20m) the locations and now band switching is faster but I have to bring it down and then push it back up on the 26' tripod. That sucks.. The BNC has fallen off a couple of times for the antenna feed so I put some electrical tape so that when I rotate the antenna is doesn't pull out as easily... (that's a down side)

It is expensive and small enough to hand carry on a plane. (like a fishing pole canister).

I got mine with the 26' tripod/mast at HamCom in Plano, TX in 2009 so saved some money there. They didn't want to ship the set back! The Tripod is heavy duty as well as the extension to 26'.

I am only running it up to about 17-20'.. It starts bowing in the middle when I strap it down at 4 angles.

Very light weight as well but kind of fragile with any winds over 15-20mph, even when guyed here in North Texas.

VE2XB Rating: 1/5 Jun 20, 2010 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Bad antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After I gave this review testing it in the field in lovely Belize, 2 el broke off when there was a slight wind and the elemets brushed up against a palm tree. They snapped off from the weak boom blocks. Then it became unusable. It is then a zero/ 0 from me for bad design and not suitable for dx'peditions or portable work. Sure wish Vern would make something better for all that loot.
73, dx
Mike, ve2xb/w1
KB1QZD Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna in January during winter and I had no problems with ice or snow storms. Besides the fact that this antenna was manufactured for portable operations, I kept on a mast for 3 months under extreme weather.
It works better than dipoles, bazookas, and many other wire antennas that I previously made. I could work everybody that I could hear.
Instructions manual could use some improvement, and the first time you put the antenna together will take a little extra time, but very easy to assemble.
I am very satisfied.
VE2XB Rating: 2/5 Jun 1, 2010 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Not so good...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all, this is a clever design but has many mechanical flaws...bnc/banana jack/harpin system is extremely weak and this should be improved to something other yagis have like ta-33jr or th3-jr.
I am testing both of these a/b and the yp-3 only hears as well as my dipole/inv vee up 25 ft.I am using the 21 ft collapsible mast. The mast is better than the antenna---that should say sonmething.
I guess I'll go back to using the ta-33jr and th3jr or th3mk4, as they are more solid and don't need fussing when out in the field on a dx'pedition. The YP-3 requires constant drives me nuts.
All this for over 400 bux...
73, dx
V31XB Belize
PD0PRS Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2010 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna, works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Though I own the antenna for just a month or so I'm very pleased I bought it but can't give it a 5.

Two remarks why I'm not giving it a 5 (besides the instructions which could have been clearer).

First of all I don't like the solution with the Banana jack / BNC / PL connectors. It happened twice that when I had put the antenna up the coax appeared to be loose. But it can be easily solved with tie wrap or anything else.

And the hairpin match isn't soldered very well. After putting it up for the second time one of the eyes came loose.

Anyhow these things can happen and they don't mean the antenna doesn't work. This afternoon I worked into Canada (> 6000 km) and to New York with 5W phone on 20m from the Netherlands.

So yes it works and it's a nice addition to the hobby.
K6RJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Beam  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had mine for about a year and used it in several locations and environments. Built well remembering they are trying to keep weight down so don't confuse this with a permanent beam !
With the swr low and using a Balun I ran 700-800 watts to it with no ill effects even though it is rated at 500 watts.
Wish List -
I do believe all the threaded sections should be stainless not brass - this is a temporary, portable beam and the joints get screwed and unscrewed a lot the brass tends to cross thread
My shorting hairpin was not soldered like several other commentators.
That said it is still a 5 because it is a great portable antenna.
G0VDZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2010 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have now owned this beam for about 6 months.
It is a good design and works well.
It is a pain having to drop the mast when you want to change bands, but that is somthing that is required with this beam.
As to it's efficiency, it seems to work well. We have always worked the DXpeditions that we have aimed for with it, with no problems. Have worked the Midway island, and have just worked the TX4TY in Tahiti with it on 15 M. They were a stonking 5 and 9 on the beam and 4 and 2 on the verticel. The mast was only up about twenty foot.
I did find that the shorting loop was not soldered well and had to redo them This is the only reason that it did not get a 5. For five it must be perfect. But apart from that it was well made.
If you want a portable or a small beam and do not mind that it is basicly a mono band beam, then this is great.
VE7CEU Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2010 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Good concept  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a retired electronics man, got the YP3 a month ago. Well designed, good concept works well. Very easy to deploy, or remove. Only reason i give it a 4, b/c, wish , that Wern would ever return an e-mail, and to pay more attention , what goes out on the door. On my antenna, neither of the hair pin rods were soldered, and 4 of the long element tips have had a blur on them. No problem with me, but it mayt gives hard time for someone. Otherwise i love my new toy
W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 19:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna! I have the antenna up 15 feet, and have made several contacts over 1500+ miles on 5 watts.
The antenna is well made and easy to assemble. It is easy to adjust from band-to-band. It is 3-element, 12x16 ft. on 20 meters, and weights less than 12 lbs.

Overall, this it a good buy.
AC5N Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2009 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Great portable yagi!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
: One of the great things about this antenna is it literally takes less than 1/2 hour to fully assembly. I currently have setup as I write this out in central new mexico while i'm elk hunting. I have the spiderbeam push up 10M mast, so the antenna is up about 32 ft where i have it mounted.

Tonight I worked Cooks Island (E51USA) and worked over 20 contacts in Europe and Russia on the weekend, just limited time while back at camp. Running 100 watts from my IC-7000 in my travel trailer, all contacts were on 20M.

Made some simple adjustments to lengths after tuning with my AIM 4170C analyzer, SWR is low, as advertised.

Putting together the first time takes a few minutes longer after trying to read through the instructions, which could be written a little better, but each installation after will take less than 1/2 hour, can do it faster if you are in a hurry.

Will be alot of fun when there are some sunspots, and can work all the bands. It will do 6m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m and 20m. Just takes some minor changes.

Very ingenius (because its simple to assemble and gets the job done) design for a portable yagi. One thing i would like to see better is the mount for feeding with coax. It uses a two prong plug with a bnc on the other end. It comes with a bnc to PL259 adapter, but make sure you use something to attach the coax to the beam on top so it doesn't pull out of the mount, using tie wraps or whatever, i ended up using electrical tape.

Look forward to using more during field days, camping trips, etc.