Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi
Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $495.00
Description: Portable 6-band 20m - 6m portable 3 element Yagi antenna by W6MMA.
More info: http://newsuperantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas YP-3 Yagi.

VE2XB Rating: 2/5 Jun 1, 2010 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Not so good...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all, this is a clever design but has many mechanical flaws...bnc/banana jack/harpin system is extremely weak and this should be improved to something other yagis have like ta-33jr or th3-jr.
I am testing both of these a/b and the yp-3 only hears as well as my dipole/inv vee up 25 ft.I am using the 21 ft collapsible mast. The mast is better than the antenna---that should say sonmething.
I guess I'll go back to using the ta-33jr and th3jr or th3mk4, as they are more solid and don't need fussing when out in the field on a dx'pedition. The YP-3 requires constant tweaking...it drives me nuts.
All this for over 400 bux...
73, dx
V31XB Belize

PD0PRS Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2010 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna, works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Though I own the antenna for just a month or so I'm very pleased I bought it but can't give it a 5.

Two remarks why I'm not giving it a 5 (besides the instructions which could have been clearer).

First of all I don't like the solution with the Banana jack / BNC / PL connectors. It happened twice that when I had put the antenna up the coax appeared to be loose. But it can be easily solved with tie wrap or anything else.

And the hairpin match isn't soldered very well. After putting it up for the second time one of the eyes came loose.

Anyhow these things can happen and they don't mean the antenna doesn't work. This afternoon I worked into Canada (> 6000 km) and to New York with 5W phone on 20m from the Netherlands.

So yes it works and it's a nice addition to the hobby.

K6RJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Beam  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had mine for about a year and used it in several locations and environments. Built well remembering they are trying to keep weight down so don't confuse this with a permanent beam !
With the swr low and using a Balun I ran 700-800 watts to it with no ill effects even though it is rated at 500 watts.
Wish List -
I do believe all the threaded sections should be stainless not brass - this is a temporary, portable beam and the joints get screwed and unscrewed a lot the brass tends to cross thread
My shorting hairpin was not soldered like several other commentators.
That said it is still a 5 because it is a great portable antenna.

G0VDZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2010 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have now owned this beam for about 6 months.
It is a good design and works well.
It is a pain having to drop the mast when you want to change bands, but that is somthing that is required with this beam.
As to it's efficiency, it seems to work well. We have always worked the DXpeditions that we have aimed for with it, with no problems. Have worked the Midway island, and have just worked the TX4TY in Tahiti with it on 15 M. They were a stonking 5 and 9 on the beam and 4 and 2 on the verticel. The mast was only up about twenty foot.
I did find that the shorting loop was not soldered well and had to redo them This is the only reason that it did not get a 5. For five it must be perfect. But apart from that it was well made.
If you want a portable or a small beam and do not mind that it is basicly a mono band beam, then this is great.

VE7CEU Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2010 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Good concept  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a retired electronics man, got the YP3 a month ago. Well designed, good concept works well. Very easy to deploy, or remove. Only reason i give it a 4, b/c, wish , that Wern would ever return an e-mail, and to pay more attention , what goes out on the door. On my antenna, neither of the hair pin rods were soldered, and 4 of the long element tips have had a blur on them. No problem with me, but it mayt gives hard time for someone. Otherwise i love my new toy

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 19:34 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna! I have the antenna up 15 feet, and have made several contacts over 1500+ miles on 5 watts.
The antenna is well made and easy to assemble. It is easy to adjust from band-to-band. It is 3-element, 12x16 ft. on 20 meters, and weights less than 12 lbs.

Overall, this it a good buy.

AC5N Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2009 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Great portable yagi!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
: One of the great things about this antenna is it literally takes less than 1/2 hour to fully assembly. I currently have setup as I write this out in central new mexico while i'm elk hunting. I have the spiderbeam push up 10M mast, so the antenna is up about 32 ft where i have it mounted.

Tonight I worked Cooks Island (E51USA) and worked over 20 contacts in Europe and Russia on the weekend, just limited time while back at camp. Running 100 watts from my IC-7000 in my travel trailer, all contacts were on 20M.

Made some simple adjustments to lengths after tuning with my AIM 4170C analyzer, SWR is low, as advertised.

Putting together the first time takes a few minutes longer after trying to read through the instructions, which could be written a little better, but each installation after will take less than 1/2 hour, can do it faster if you are in a hurry.

Will be alot of fun when there are some sunspots, and can work all the bands. It will do 6m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m and 20m. Just takes some minor changes.

Very ingenius (because its simple to assemble and gets the job done) design for a portable yagi. One thing i would like to see better is the mount for feeding with coax. It uses a two prong plug with a bnc on the other end. It comes with a bnc to PL259 adapter, but make sure you use something to attach the coax to the beam on top so it doesn't pull out of the mount, using tie wraps or whatever, i ended up using electrical tape.

Look forward to using more during field days, camping trips, etc.

KC0ZRX Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2009 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just returned from vacation in the mountains of Wyoming. Ran 100 W into the YP-3 amd made contacts into Europe (England, Germany, Italy) and throughout the US and Canada on 20 and 17 meters. A cleverly designed portable antenna that performs well.

K4SSU Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2009 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my YP-3 antenna at Dayton this year and took it with me on our family vacation to Costa Rica,Central Amarica. It was very easy to assemble. I was on the air in about 25 minutes after taking it out of the carry bag. I was running 100 watts but had huge European and US pileups. I even worked a VU station in India with a 59 report on 20 meters.

This antenna is perfect for this kind of fun or field day or maybe a state QSO party from a rare county. I sure am glad I bought it.

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2009 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable yagi!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have to agree with all other posts!

Purchased it last year some time in March of 2008. Used it during the 2008 Field Day event and ran some test after. Results we excellent and compared it to a full sized 3 element tri-band yagi. It was at 30 ft. and the YP-3 at about 20ft. Results after asking 4 state side stations in 4 corners of the U.S. two giving me the same signal report on both at 599 and the other two giving me 1 S-unit less on the YP-3. Not bad!

A couple of weeks later was working a station in South Africa with a 599 then got a call from a station state side in Colorado. He reported a 549 off the back and when I turned it to him signal shot up to 589. Showed great front to back on that day and increase in gain.

Highly recommend it for portable use and love it. Normally can be heard using it on a tripod 15' off the ground, 100 watts and the IC-7000.

73!