Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 8410 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 8410
Alpha 8410 Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $5395
Description: The Alpha 8410 utilizes an enhanced version of the bombproof RF deck, found in the Alpha 99 and Alpha 8100. On the 8410ís control board youíll find a microprocessor that allows us to normalize amplification performance, calibrate the power and gain metering for each specific band, and increase reliability and durability. All of these functions aggregate into a single greater benefit for the user, ease of tuning. The 8410 comes standard with USB and serial ports for remote monitoring and performance data logging. The power supply stack found in the 8410 has been designed for maximum durability and reliability, while allowing for extremely easy voltage tap changes.

This amplifer is handcrafted, designed, and built in Boulder, Colorado, USA, comes with a 4-year warranty.

Tubes: 2x 4CX1000A Tetrodes
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 8410.

K5RU Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2014 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it new about two years ago, excellent amp and easy to tune, smooth and lots of power, no problems, thanks Alpha for nice well built product.

NW3Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Super piece of equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Alpha 8410 after feeling it was time to upgrade from my 30 yr old Alpha 86, which still is working fine after many years of contesting. The 8410 is a horse in so many ways! It appears very well designed and built. It will perform as described in the book if not better. I've only worked one contest with it so far (IARU) and it performed well. I have not heard the cooling fan go past its medium speed. If it lasts like my Alpha 86 did, this will be the last amp I will ever need.

KB3Z Rating: 3/5 Jun 24, 2014 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Worked Fine Until The Warranty Expired.  Time owned: more than 12 months
When my 8410 worked it was a real workhorse. But it seems that after the warranty expired that's when all the troubles began. I would email the problems to Alpha/RFConcepts and Glenn would respond in a timely basis. But, no matter what repairs were being done to the amplifier, it never really solved the issues regarding increased drive to get 1500 watts. RFConcepts determined that it was not a problem with the tubes. After a period of time, I could only get 1300 watts at best. Alpha/RFConcepts service is good, but the price to send the amplifier plus labor, parts and tech fees is rather expensive. It would be nice if they had a service portal here on the east coast! I did sell the amplifier and purchased another well known amplifier. I did learn one thing, that customer service/reasonable prices is key to success today in the amateur radio hobby today.

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Work Horse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning this amp for 8 months I feel I can give a fair review. I purchased this amp new from Alpha and was able to take advantage of a special where they included either a Alpha wattmeter or a spare set of tubes at NC. I opted for the tubes and my amp was shipped with the 4cx1500 tubes plus as I said an extra pair sealed in plastic double boxed with a tested and performance sheet included with each tube from Penta Labs nothing much more I can add to the other reviews here but perhaps one item. I use the AE9K monitor software that reads thru the USB port on the 8410 and with this software I thought that even on ssb it ran to warm. The blower would kick on and shift to med or high speed often. Why Alpha does not include the fan for this unit I don't understand. I am sure that it doesn't run hot enough on ssb to hurt itself but heat is the biggest enemy in electronic gear. After installing the optional fan NEVER has the blower shifted to med/high. The inside of the amp stays below 90 degrees now and before it would run up into 130-140 area. Just seems like a no brainier to me this fan couldn't cost the company more than a few dollars even though they want $100 for it I bought my fan with better specs and a dirt filter for the fan from Allied for under $30 shipped to my door.

Great product I don't see myself at my age needing another amp or hopefully using those new spare 4cx1500 tubes. As others have said 30w drive = 1500 out. This amp is capable of double the legal limit so running it @ 30w drive lets your transceiver and the amp loaf @ full legal power out.

W4VDW Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Alpha - Simply the best...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived on Friday. Assembled on Friday within an hour of arrival. Operational on Friday... I didn't even have to do any fine adjustment tuning for each band; it came with a tuning chart that was spot on. I am just simply amazed and greatly pleased with the purchase.

WOW!!!

If you were ever worried over making an expensive purchase, let not your heart be troubled...

This is the best constructed, best documented, best operating amplifier available. Every facite of my Alpha purchasing experience was the most professional and pleasant in my amateur radio experience. I have no doubt, after talking to other Alpha owners, reading all the positive reviews here, that I made a wise choice. This one is a life long keeper!

Alpha, thank you for a well made product and superior customer service experience!

W5JBO Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
The amp has operated several hundred hours in RTTY mode,within the years time since I purchased it. Couldn't be happier..
Also a great radio room heater during the winter months.
I had used a Collins 30S-1 for decades prior to the Alpha 8410, but couldn't sustain the duty cycle I needed for RTTY..
A great heavy duty amplifier. Buy one and it will be the last one you will ever need..

N4WN Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alpha 8410 is the last amp to purchase.
The amp is controlled by a microprocessor that allows the operator to see exactly what is occurring within the amp. (with available free downloaded software.)It is by far the quietest amp I have owned. It has a 3 speed fan and I have yet to see it on high. It rarely switches to medium and I run full legal output. 24 watts in gives me 1500 watts out. I purchased my amp that was 14 months old and was able to transfer the remainder of the 4 year warranty to myself. I think this will be my last amp purchase. +++

VE6AMI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2014 20:47 Send this review to a friend
A CW / RTTY Powerhouse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A true 100% duty cycle unit on any band or mode. Use only top quality coax in your system. With the free AE9K software monitor via a USB connection, all "under the hood" operating parameters can be easily followed. Presently using the amp with a K3 radio (K3 programmed for optimized band by band drive power) with very easy tuneup.

KF4FK Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2014 06:18 Send this review to a friend
My new Alpha 8410  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 24 years of being a Ham, I decided it was time to purchase a HF Amplifier.

Not knowing what features to look for and what companies have the best reputation, I took a survey of my Ham Club friends. Over 85 percent said if I could afford it, buy an Alpha.

I have had my Alpha 8410 for about six weeks now. I have never worked so much DX in such a short time.

This Alpha is built like a tank, easy to tune, and I really like having a band switch that supports the WARC bands.

I know that I have only had my Alpha a short period of time so I will write another review in the coming months.

73 - KF4FK

N5FW Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2013 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Wanted an Alpha for over 30 years!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I finally got an Alpha amp, an 8410 and it has exceeded my expectations. It is really good to know that there is an American amp manufacturer who produces superior products and stands behind them! There have been many good reviews, but here are some of my positives:

1. Built like a tank. I have had the amp about 3 months. I was operating the other day at about 1400 watts on 20 and the amp just went dead-completely off! I knew this was a hard fault, so I went out and checked the breaker, that was OK. Came back in and called Alpha at closing time, no one to take my call, so I left my information. AFTER HOURS, Brad called me back and we determined it was my manual coax switch that failed. Pulled the switch out and everything was fine (now I have a coax switch made in Germany that will take 3kw). Alpha does say if you have any weakness in your system the amp will show it-now I believe it!

2. I love the fact that Alpha has a band switch for EACH band, not this cheap sharing two bands with one bandswitch (no names needed)!

3. The 8410 is the easiest tuning amp I have ever had, period. Probably takes me less than 10 seconds to tune any band. Brilliant.

4. The 4 year warranty. Thanks Alpha for standing behind your product. It shows you know your product is truly quality. This amp should last a ham a lifetime, indeed.

5. The great, clean signal this amp puts out.

Lots more could be said, but now I come to the one negative...
why did I wait so long to get one!!