Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 8410 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 8410
Alpha 8410 Reviews: 115 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $5395
Description: The Alpha 8410 utilizes an enhanced version of the bombproof RF deck, found in the Alpha 99 and Alpha 8100. On the 8410ís control board youíll find a microprocessor that allows us to normalize amplification performance, calibrate the power and gain metering for each specific band, and increase reliability and durability. All of these functions aggregate into a single greater benefit for the user, ease of tuning. The 8410 comes standard with USB and serial ports for remote monitoring and performance data logging. The power supply stack found in the 8410 has been designed for maximum durability and reliability, while allowing for extremely easy voltage tap changes.

This amplifer is handcrafted, designed, and built in Boulder, Colorado, USA, comes with a 4-year warranty.

Tubes: 2x 4CX1000A Tetrodes
More info: http://www.alpharfsystems.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha 8410.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2017 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Very good amp  Time owned: months
I have been running this amp now very heavily for 2 years. The tubes are still full output. I purchased a spare set, but I am not certain I will need it soon. I run it RTTY CCS at 1KW output, and it does not even get hot. I have the factory-installed chassis fan. Three to five second band change/tuneup. Use the included tuning chart. Every stupid move I and the guest ops have made results in an instant-off condition. Very easy to tune, especially after the HF-2500DX I had. Worth $5000... used 8410's are going for $3800.

KB6DYA Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2017 10:35 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my first amp and i was so paranoid that I was going to do something wrong. I was sending Glen e-mail all the time when I thought something
not working wright. this is a older Alpha 8410 amp tubes were replaced in June 2015 with N.O.S. Eimac tubes ( 4cx1500b ). Glen was very kind and quick to respond to my E-mails I know i was a Pain in you know where. It turns out the amp is working like it should. I must have encountered every fault that I caused. the amp is very easy to tune. If you have a older 8410 here is some thing I found on Alpha's web site under the store at the middle of the page."Cathode resistor for 8410. Early 8410 amps used 3, always replace them with FOUR 22 Ohm 5W in parallel (5.5 Ohms total)
Check these resistors if GAIN of amp drops (amp takes more drive than normal for typical output power). They may have increased in value or may be open, causing too much negative feedback and reduced gain. Install FOUR in parallel."

W9RAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2017 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never have had a hint of a problem with any Alpha I have owned. The 8410 is a great amp, fast to tune and very dependable. I had a 811H as a backup which I purchased new as a just in case but sold it after 3 years unused since the Alpha 8410 never slows down!

NW3Y Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2016 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wrote my first review of the Alpha 8410 in August 2014. For the past 2 years I have been very satisfied to the point of now having a second one which I just used in the 2016 CQWW SSB contest last weekend. The amp arrived Tuesday before the contest, was assembled, tested and installed right on line in the primary position. It was well packed (2 separate boxes) with the ultra-heavy transformer in its own box. I ordered this amp with the additional exterior cooling fan factory installed since I did add the cooling fan to the first one, post purchase, which makes a big difference when running in contest mode. Alpha has changed the tubes to a pair of 4CX1500B from the earlier amps' 4CX1000A. My understanding is that the change was made due to the 4CX1500B being more readily available. Regardless, these do the job easily. The amp runs cool with a relatively low noise level.
If you're considering a high quality full-power amplifier that can hold up in contest mode, I would recommend you consider this one.

WA4HHG Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2016 18:58 Send this review to a friend
On OK amplifier but not an "ETO Alpha"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nope, its not a bad product at all but not in the same league as "ETO Alpha's." I owned an unmodified 86 for nearly 25 years and it never failed or even burped. But when its 3CX800's became nearly impossible to find, I decided to "upgrade" to an 8410. After all, it used the same 4CX1000 tetrode as my Collins 30S-1 for which I have spares. The 8410 is by no means a "bad" amplifier and its quality is head and shoulders above most new product on today's market. Its pair of 4CX1000's and huge power supply loaf along at 100% output and produce a full 1.5KW out with about 30 watts (depending on the band) input but I'm not a fan of the "dynamic tube biasing" and miss the ETO, foolproof tuning aid on the '86. The fan "growls" on its lowest setting and is a bit on the annoying side. The vernier reduction for the "Tune" and "Load" adjustments are missing but looking top down at the 86 and 8410, you'd be hard pressed to see any differences.

Ages of both and tube availability being equal, given the choice, I'd give the nod to the "ETO Alpha."

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2016 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Quality Ampliifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had the opportunity to acquire a used Alpha 8410 that was still under warranty, after recently selling my Alpha 9500. However, it had some known issues that required repair/update. I became intimately familiar with the 8410, to make the repairs.

Construction of the amplifier, as expected is excellent. Operationally, it works very well. Tuning is smooth and consistent. Keying of the amplifier is nearly silent thanks to the vacuum relay. Notably, it's one of the few amps on the market that has an individual band tap for each HF amateur band. It's that attention to detail, which separates Alpha from other manufactures in this class, such as Acom, OM Power, and QRO.

Nevertheless, from my research, I found there are some known issues that can occur with this amplifier. The 8410 I purchased had several of them. When received, it exhibited an unusually high input SWR, and lower than expected output. I performed the necessary repairs to the input circuit, cathode circuit, and upgraded the metering resistors as well.

The previous issues were corrected, but afterwards output was still only around 1250 watts out, indicative the tubes (4CX-1000) had gone soft. I question whether the Chinese 4CX-1000 are as good as Eimac tubes, which seem to last forever. IMO a pair of these should have lasted for a much longer time.

Subsequently, they were replaced with a new matched pair of 4CX-1500b's. Output was then observed to be capable of 2600+ watts. I only used the amplifier for a short period of time in my station. Although the 8410 is great, I quickly found I missed the automatic tuning of the Alpha 9500 I previously owned. Therefore, I sold the 8410.

I believe the Alpha 8410 is one of the finest manual tune amplifier's available. It certainly would have stayed in my station, if I had not wanted to return to a automatic tune type amplifier.

W4VDW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2015 06:48 Send this review to a friend
BUY ONE OF THESE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After one year of use, it is perfect, except one MINOR personal peav:

If you run outboard microphones (Groove Tubes, Sterling) with outboard mic preamps, others will hear the inner fan over the air if it kicks on high air output mode, even with a cardioid mic setting. This is also based on where I placed the amplifier in the shack (in reach to quickly change bands).

I bought the extra rear case cooling fan, mounted it inside, and did some sound isolation of the inside squirrel cage fan. I added switching to turn off the squirrel cage inner fan when I want.

This amplifier is THE PERFECT lifetime investment if you make the commitment to stay in the hobby for life - you need to own one!

Buy the rear case fan when you purchase the amp.

Very respectfully,
Buck
W4VDW/YI9VDW

W4ID Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2015 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Four years and stiil impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Alpha 8410 October 2010. I have always been extremely happy with the Alpha and would never be without one after having used this 8410. After over four years of excellent performance, on January 18, 2015 I noticed I was having problems getting 1500 watts regardless of my input power. Normally I always got 1500 for about 35 watts in except on 10 meters which only takes 20-25 watts to drive.
I emailed Alpha with a description of my problem. Glenn AE0Q,replied to my email the same day with a couple of suggestions of what to check. In about 30 minutes I had the cover off and with his suggestions had located the problem. I had to replace the cathode resistors and the two 100 ohm 50 watt resistors on the input. This amp likes the input to be less than 50 watts and a few times by mistake over the years I keyed with 100 watts by mistake. I feel I am the reason for the parts failing and I am a lot more careful in remembering to watch my input closer. I normally just change the bandswitch and preset the TUNE and LOAD control and it is ready and so you can make fast band changes. Now I always check the input power before keying. It took about $30.00 in parts and a few days for the mail to get them here and now the 8410 is as good as new with 35 watts in giving me full power. I am very pleased with the quick response and help in getting my 8410 back to normal quickly. I have owned many other brands of amplifiers and none are built as well as Alpha. I still think Alpha is the best and actually bought another one for my other transceiver. I am still very happy with my decision to buy Alpha.

N5FW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 21:13 Send this review to a friend
A Great amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, it has been a year and some months since I bought the Alpha 8410. Expensive, but worth every dollar. It just keeps chugging along (even with several "goofs" from the operator) ;)
Since installing the amp, I now have upped my country total almost 220 countries from this QTH (in most cases the Alpha made all the difference between logging them and just being lost in the pileup!) If you are looking for a legal limit amp, do yourself a favor and seriously consider an Alpha. I am sure glad I did.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always wanted a brand-new Rolls Royce. Now I have one!!