Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony SFR-M37V FM/AM/Weather/TV Radio Walkman with 25 Memory Pres Help

Reviews Summary for Sony SFR-M37V FM/AM/Weather/TV Radio Walkman with 25 Memory Pres
Sony SFR-M37V FM/AM/Weather/TV Radio Walkman with 25 Memory Pres Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $34.95
Description: The SRF-M37V is 3.3 ounces (94 grams). It is part of the the Walkman line. 530-1710 AM, 87.5-108 FM, channels 2-13 of Television, 7 NOAA Weather Radio Channels. The FM antenna is the headphone cord, AM antenna is an internal ferrite bar. Has a local/distant switch. Tuning buttons are digital,volume is a wheel.
More info: http://www.sonystyle.com

You can write your own review of the Sony SFR-M37V FM/AM/Weather/TV Radio Walkman with 25 Memory Pres.

KF5MKO Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great AM Clip-on Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this from Wal-Mart many years ago. It was my main radio for when I was working until last year when I got my Zune HD and I still use it for AM reception as the Zune HD is FM (and HD FM) only.

The AM reception is the most important to me and it works very well. Not as good as my CCRadio (ver 1) but I doubt any radio this same size could do much better than the Sony SFR-M37V.

KI4LNG Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2008 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Fine radio for what it is.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio at Best Buy for 28.99 (clearance price). I also got a 2 year replacement warranty for 5.99 at the time of purchase. Though this radio comes with a headset for listening (there is no external speaker) I bought at the time of purchase a pair of Sony "h.ear" Vertical Stereo Headphones, that have clips that sit on the ear and place small speakers with a surprising audio in the ear. I have been using them during my use of this radio.

I had researched the purchase before hand. There is a later model which was also available, the sony srf-m37w. That later model does NOT have the TV stations. I found the older model with the stations in the back of the rack, behind the newer ones on the wall. The newer model seems to be the same radio from what I could tell, just no TV audio reception. This is due to most TV analog signals disappearing from broadcast in Feb. 2009 as scheduled by the US Congress (low powered TV is exempted). I wanted the TV reception, in the event pirate radio pops up there. ;)

My experience has been very good with this radio. I have had it over a week now and I have field tested quite well I believe. I have dropped it several times, or caught it on a door or such as it sat on my belt and sent it flying. The battery compartment opens in those cases and the battery takes further flight but all is well upon recovery. This is a sturdy radio. AM reception has been adequate. Its a small device so the ferrite bar will not be anything that can be considered desired; that said it works well in general. I have some trouble with low power or distant stations, but by and large I can get all the stations in my market (New York City).

It does have a local/distant switch but I have found no need to use it. It seriously diminishes sensitivity when you switch to local so I leave it on distant all the time. I live in Staten Island, one of the five boros of New York City, so radio reception is usually very good.

The FM is quite nice too. However, the headphone cord is the antenna, so sometimes I need to adjust it to get a better signal. I found no trouble doing such. I have found this radio quite easy & convenient.

I did a little listening (under 3 hours) of television and it worked well. I also was able to pull in 3 of 7 weather band channels. That did require stretching out the headphone cord or positioning it in some places/times I used it.

The unit runs on a single AAA cell. I have been using it heavily for over a week (at least 4 hours a day) and the battery indicator has just started to show a decrease in energy reserves today. I do not doubt claims of 40 hours on a single cell. YMMV due to radio volume, etc.

I bought this radio for convenient listening to AM and FM, that I could take anywhere and have easy access. It has served well so far and I am quite pleased with the purchase. I am also happy with the headphones/earbuds I got. I had read reports that the headset it comes with is lousy but it seemed adequate for the brief few minutes I tried it. I prefer earbuds, and not having the plastic band across my head; so I switched quick.

The earbuds I got for 14.99 at Best Buy but can probably be found cheaper at Radioshack, from what I have seen online.

This setup has worked well for me and I will continue to use this rig daily. I am pleased with my purchase.

I have given this radio a 5 rating. For what it is, it's a fine radio. I did not expect to pull 500 AM stations from 4,000+ miles away with this unit. It met my realistic expectations, and happily reinforced my opinion that Sony makes quality and durable goods. I have had a few Sony products in my time and they generally can take a few bumps and jars. This radio proved no exception.

Be careful of Amazon.Com on this one, they had it listed for 59.99 when I checked. That was just outrageous.

There is no light/led on this radio. So if you want to read the display in the dark, have an LED at hand for convenience. The display shows a clock when off and when on the frequency you are listening on. 5 presets for AM, 10 presets (fm 1, fm 2) for FM, 5 for TV, and 5 for weather band.

Lastly, I would recommend this radio to a friend, and I have no regrets with my purchase.

73 ki4lng