Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | VizKey 90 Degree Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for VizKey 90 Degree Paddle
VizKey 90 Degree Paddle Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $143
Description: Compact, rugged, reliable and nearly indestructible. This key is made from solid BRASS (1/2" thick) and has silver contacts. It is about 3-1/2" wide x about 4" (front to back) including finger pieces. It is approximately 2-3/4" high at the top of the screw. Includes complete adjustment instructions.

The unit weighs nearly a pound and a half and has rubber feet to keep it in place during operation. The VIZ 90 Degree Paddle comes with 3 feet of 3-conductor shielded cable to minimize RF pickup and the usual keyer problems from RF interference and you get your choice of a 1/8" or 1/4" plug.

All operation points are fully adjustable. There are actually 6 points that can be adjusted or changed for personal preferences. Surface finish is wire brushed brass matte.

This unit can be fabricated as a left-handed unit with prior notice at no extra charge.

More info: http://vizkey.com/

You can write your own review of the VizKey 90 Degree Paddle.

N4MPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Extremely well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased another item from Tom. Before it was a "Cootie " key -- this time it was the 90 degree paddle.
Afer putting it through its paces, I am still impressed with the fit, finish, and feel of this paddle.

I can only say : Well done! You have another very satisfied customer and proud owner.

N4MPM

W6FCS Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Best Bug ever made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my 90 degree vizbug today and was suprised at how well it worked. Its so smooth - much much better than my blue racer vibroplex.
The "build" is quality - what a great job building a great product. I'm very pleased.
Thanks
John - W6FCS

KB4DXV Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2012 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Morse BUG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VIZBUG is even more attractive in front of you than in the pictures on Tom's website. It is beautifully and carefully constructed. It functions very smoothly and is quite quiet compared to my restored 1935 Vibroplex Lightning. The set up instructions are simple and straight forward. Tom was nice enough to supply me with a heavier weight as I am just getting back into CW after a long absence and needed to slow things down a bit. This bug will go pretty slow (aprox 10-12 wpm)if you use a fairly large dit/dah travel adjustment-aprox .03", set the weight at the end of the arm, and set the stop screw to touch the weight. It may go even slower and Tom could probably help you out on this aspect. It will also go very fast (by my standards!) if you want it to. Again Tom can probably tell you the ultimate speed potential. I do not think I could ask for better value and service. It is to me well worth the price. I am sure Tom would be happy to answer any questions about his products if you just email him --his service is excellent and quick.

K1ESE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2012 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Beauty and Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a number of paddles and the Vizkey 90 Degree single lever may be the best of the bunch. I requested special finger pieces from Tom and he was eager to meet my request at no extra charge. His customer service is outstanding. It's a real pleasure to deal with Tom.

As for the paddle itself, when I opened the box I was impressed with the beauty and the size. It is much smaller than I had imagined. The workmanship and precision are of high quality. I am reminded of a model steam engine I had as a kid, or of a finely crafted music box mechanism. The turnings on the base add to that feeling.

But, the real beauty is in the use of the paddle. The right angle configuration puts the back and forth finger movements along the long side of the base. This makes the small footprint very stable.

There are six possible adjustments and I had no trouble easily setting the paddle up for my preferred tension and spacing. Once adjusted, the settings stay put.

I don't like paddles that are very stiff, such as the Kent. The paddle arm to the finger pieces on this paddle is thinner than most. This gives just the slightest flex and a softer feel. It is very comfortable in your fingers.

The really amazing thing is the combination of beauty and performance at a price half that of comparable quality from others. It's a winner!

KF7RBK Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2011 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Stuff !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely first-rate workmanship and mechanicals, and truly unique and beautiful to just sit and look at ‘em. I have the Camel-Back key that replaced a very old brass homebrew from the 30’s, and the VIZ Vertical Bug that replaced my Vibroplex Champion. No real comparison can be made, I think, only that though they do the same thing they seem to do it much better; they DO NOT move around, the Vertical takes up much less room on the desk, both are easily adjusted and hold their adjustments, much smoother, and my hand looks stronger and years younger when using either of these VIZ keys. Both are used on a TenTec Century 21.

Operated CW exclusively back in the 50’s and 60’s on homebrew rigs and used what I had to or could afford. I work at anywhere between 5 and 30 WPM. I just got my ticket, after a 40-year lapse while life took a front seat, and am treating myself now to the “nicer” things. I have just ordered the 90 Degree Paddle for my rig upgrade too, an Omni VI+, (I like radios that look like radios) and am like a kid before Christmas with the waiting to be “paddled.”. I have tried a lot of friend’s keys, both foreign and domestic, new and old, and have not found any that just plain fit my fist or work better (and darn few that work maybe as good) than this VIZ equipment. And I feel like I am maybe stealing this stuff at these prices, especially when you factor in the cable, shipping and customer support. But I’m getting over it.

Thanks Tom, KF7RBK

S21ZW Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2011 10:13 Send this review to a friend
5 Stars!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tom of VizKey really knows how to design and produce a real work of art. The finest quality workmanship was noticed when I opened the package and sat the key on my desk. It has a real nice feel to it and is very smooth.

Tom's commuincation and customer service is also outstanding which today is getting harder to find.

Craig, AH8DX

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2010 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Lap Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I guess I have owned this long enough to give an honest and informative review. I spent so much time using a bug that I have come to realize that a single lever paddle is better suited to my sending. While rehabilitating following surgery, I was compelled to operate from my living room chair with the key on my knee while taking notes on a small platform straped to my leg. As a single lever paddle that takes up little space, Tom's 90 Degree Paddle fits perfectly with a pad of paper on the platform and meets my needs perfectly. Thanks, Tom, for a unique and outstanding paddle.
Vy 73, Dick, K8RBW

KE7NGM Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle at a great price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my Vizkey 90 deg. paddle promptly.
When I looked at it I could not help but notice the quality that went into this key. The paddle has a good weight to it and sits in place on the table top, great for someone like myself who tends to be a little hard on equipment!
Upon hooking it up I was again very pleased with the keying action which has a nice positive feel to it. This key is easy to adjust and is built like a tank. Tom; the gentleman who makes these keys is a class act. He kept in touch with me via email from time of order thru delivery and initial trial, always making sure I was satisfied.
I would highly recommend this key to anyone looking for a qualty instrument at a reasonable price.

K4PBY Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2009 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Extremely pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased this single lever paddle and I am extremely pleased with it. The paddle operates very smoothly and is easy to adjust for that "just right" feel. It is extremely well made and has a nice look to it. The surface finish is wire brushed brass matte. I must compliment K4VIZ for the precision craftmanship and quality. I have been operating cw for many years and I am happy to have found this great paddle. Furthermore, it is very reasonably priced.
Tom K4VIZ was very easy to do business with. It was a very pleasant and smooth transaction with quick delivery. The paddle is a pleasure to use and I highly recommend it.

N3CW Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2008 02:50 Send this review to a friend
Unique and Interesting Paddle!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tom has sent me along a 90 degree paddle. I'm not aware of any other similar designs (for bugs, yes, but not for paddles) that orient the mechanism in such a way. The design allows for multiple adjustments and is extremely visually attractive, especially with the brushed brass finish. When I set the spacings up for a light touch, this paddle proved very pleasant to use. Tom is friendly and very interested in making sure the design meets the buyer's requirements; he will work with you to ensure you are happy. I'd give an extra point for Tom's enthusiasm for his products and willingness to fine-tune the keys and paddles to what the customer wants.