Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Autek Research QF-1A Help

Reviews Summary for Autek Research QF-1A
Autek Research QF-1A Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $No longer in production
Description: SSB/CW/AM Audio & Notch Filter
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Autek Research QF-1A.

WQ6X Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Autek QF-1A a Nice Surprise  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Months ago I relieved someone of a QF-1A for $7.50 - not being a contester he didn't know what to do with it.
Mine comes with the A.C. plug and I much PREFER it that way for portable indoor operations.
Splitting the Left/Right Channel audio lines on the FT-1000mp, I route the Sub-RX audio
through the QF-1A, using the radio's built-in DSP for the Main RX.
Another place the QF-1A really performs is in processing the receive audio from my laptop when I run NX6T
remotely on CW. I am not able to select the K3's different DSP filter algorithms @NX6T when I run remote.
Instead, the QF-1A on the receive end is almost as good (as long as there is no AGC pumping).

W5BBB Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2017 20:05 Send this review to a friend
A great addition to FRG-7  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got comfortable with my newly acquired Yaesu FRG-7 when I came across a QF-1A at a local hamfest. $3?? Was he serious? SOLD! I downloaded the instruction manual and the first day, I was all sorts of confused. On the second day, I "broke the code" and now it's a keeper. It adds clarity, selectivity and listening comfort above-and-beyond the capabilities of my already great vintage receiver. Yes, even in 2017, it's a superb addition to the Frog-7 and (most likely) any vintage rig. You can keep your DSP, I'll take a QF-1A.

RSHIRE22 Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2013 03:42 Send this review to a friend
aok  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this filter for ssb/cw but was disappointed because I soon discovered I couldn't stop fiddling with it. Seems like anyway I adjusted it I was never satisfied with the sound. CW worked best using Peak and adjusting notch and frequency until the signal peaks. On ssb the best setting is Lowpass with notch and frequency from 7-9 o'clock. Lots of artifacts and other noises along with the signal you want.

Eventually I discovered my favorite use of the filter - hi fi shortwave listening. I set Aux Notch to 9; Peak; Notch to 10:30; Frequency to 5. Does wonders listening to music on shortwave and AM - rich warm sound with high intelligibility.

NH6RF Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2013 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Can't go wrong!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this after reading the reviews for use with an FT-840. The only filtering the FT-840 offers is an IF shift. Took about 30 minutes of playing with the controls to determine preliminary settings. The previous owner had left marks on the face where his preferred settings were. I removed them and started from scratch. The filter I bought off the auction site had been modified for two inputs. Nice touch. I now have an IC-735 on one input and the FT-840 on the other. I usually listen to some 40 meter nets early in the morning. With this filter the audio receive quality has been greatly improved, especially using the "peak" setting. Signals that have been barely readable are now louder and clearer. I can easily check the difference buy simply turning it off as it is equipped with bypass when off. Remarkable difference. Not a must have for your shack, but a nice to have for sure, especially if your rig doesn't have any built in filtering. I was using a Timewave DSP 9+ audio filter but no longer. This older filter works far better at least on SSB and CW. Don't know about the digital modes, yet.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2012 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one years ago 2nd hand, and used it with my HW-8. The HW-8 filter was wide a barn door, but with the QF-1A I could really separate the signals. After many years of use the power switch/bypass switch failed. Replaced it and had some strange feedback. I simply rerouted the audio leads to the bypass portion of the switch and I was back in business.

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2012 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Worth Every Penny!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This the best 25.00 I have spent on my ham station EVER! I bought mine a year ago and came to me with a bad cable, fixed that and could not believe the difference. Used behind my Triton IV into the 262 power supply's speaker this wonderful little filter helps what is already a fantastic receiver to be that much better. Having been without it for a couple of days due to a bad contact in the switch (which can be taken apart and repaired) I am that much more appreciative of it.

There is a learning curve with the unit though. READ THE MANUAL, play with the settings, don't give up on it. Once you learn the unit there will be almost nothing it won't pull out of the noise. This is now an indispensable part of my station. Mine is used on AM, SSB, and CW. AC only operation here is not a problem

Keep in mind the notch is variable. It will not be perfect for every tone coming in on one setting as in an auto notch. For rigs with AF dsp's , no filtering or limited filtering this is the best AND cheapest way to add filtering. Worked great with my 747, and now the Triton IV.
DE KG4FET Sandor

W5WSS Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2012 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Really nice with my 820s  Time owned: months
I bought mine at a hamfest recently. I am amazed at how it singles out the cw signal that I want to hear. SSB signals are enhanced too. I have a very noisy environement and the QF-1A is very helpful.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2012 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Still great.... after 9-1/2 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Holy cow.... just an update to my review of this unit back in 2002. Still feel the same way. Indispensable in my opinion. The only modification I have done, is convert it to run on 12V DC instead of 110 AC. I run the rig audio into this baby, then into my external Speaker loaded with the excellent BHI NEDSP-1062 board. Nothing better. Try it. Have a new multi-kilo-buck rig? TRY IT. Use it for a month. Play with the settings. READ the manual, and play some more. You will find the sweet spot, and say WOW..... just like I have over and over for the last 10 years or so.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2011 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up one at a hamfest 25 years ago, used it primarly with my HW-8. Anyone who has owned a HW-8 knows the filters leave a lot to be desired. The Autek QF-1A with the HW-8 made a great combination. I could pull signals through the QRM and noise with ease. After many years of use the power/bypass switch failed, so I rewired in a new switch and that is the only problem I have ever had with it.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2011 07:07 Send this review to a friend
The Sleeper Has Awakened!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at the local hamfest for 10 bucks THREE YEARS AGO and never bothered to repair it. Well, it functioned, but had a nasty ac ground fault issue.I bought it because remembered the filtering features on a Kenwood TS-850 I used to own, and my twin 840 Yaesus lack any sort of tunable filtering (notch and all that). What a sweet rig that 850 was! Sorry for the digress.....
Anyhoo, I ripped the AC supply components out of it, slapped a 1/8" input n output jack on it, a pilot lamp to know when it was on, and plugged it in. FLABBERGASTING!! BLOWN-AWAY!! OFF n ON = NIGHT n DAY!! I still haven't mastered it's proper usage yet, but trust me -- I'll sure take the time to learn how to "play" it! I also acquired a QF-1 (an earlier version of the QF-1A), and plan to modify it as i did the QF-1A, and place it into service on my low bands-tuned FT-840.