Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Autek Research QF-1A Help

Reviews Summary for Autek Research QF-1A
Autek Research QF-1A Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $No longer in production
Description: SSB/CW/AM Audio & Notch Filter
More info: http://www.autekresearch.com/instruc.htm

You can write your own review of the Autek Research QF-1A.

KA9HJZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2007 17:21 Send this review to a friend
better than dsp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sold my QF-1A on Ebay and the guy sent it back, said it didnt work, so i tested it and it worked fine, better than my DSP for CW. So I decided to keep it,it magnifies the weaker signals and its the best auxilliary filtering system for CW, although i havn't tried the other new aux. filters, for the price you can't beat it but make sure you get the instructions with it.

AA5TE Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2007 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Most bang for the buck  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This thing will pull signals out of thin air! It can take a very weak CW signal from almost no copy, say a 119, to near 519 while eliminating a LOT of noise, which makes the strength seem a lot stronger - in other words, it can make a 119 seem like a 559 at times (not all the time, but it almost always makes every signal, SSB or CW, a great deal more readable and enjoyable to listen to). Worth every penny I spent on it.

W2RDD Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2007 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Great add-on to any transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one for many years. At first to add filtering to a Kenwood TS-520S lacking an in-board cw filter. Now use it with all contemporary rigs, even with DSP, etc installed. I would higly recommend it as it goes beyond the filtering available in today's solid state rigs. It has pulled signals out of the noise that were unreadable using the filtering of my current transceivers.

A QRP operator, I appreciate that as I prefer working other QRPers whenever possible.

N3YZ Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2007 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Even With New Rigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the QF1A with a new Yaesu FT-857D. Purchased on eBay. Runs rings around the installed DSP. Excellent audio amp qualities. When adjusted well, can pull VERY weak CW from the mud. Incredible. Worth every penny.

W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2007 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Worthwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and used mine for about 10 years and found the performance outstanding. They are VERY easy to use and get used to. I actully prefer using my QF-1A in many cases over the IF filters I have in the main rig. Yes, it is that good! Shame they are still not made today. If you find one, buy it because it will be a great addition to ANY rig combination you may have.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2007 08:31 Send this review to a friend
25 years of excellence  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used an Autek off and on for almost 25 years so I have a bit of experience with it. After selling my original QF-1 in a fit of swapfest madness, I finally found a QF-1A in perfect condition and gladly parted with $25.00 for it.

I work mainly QRP CW and I have to say that the Autek is really outstanding at bringing very weak signals up out of the noise. As others have said it is the difference between unreadable and very good copy.

It does take some patience finding the exact combination of filtering that works for your ears, but once found it is like nothing else I have ever used. And when you really think about it, what real difference does it make what kind of filtering you use as long as your "ultimate digital filter" (your brain) gets a good signal.

I can't afford the mega-dollar transcievers with ultra-complex DSP so I'll just keep pulling them out of the noise with the little Autek.

Great product highly recommended. 73 all,
Pete AE5J

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2007 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of these filters over the years and once you learn how to properly adjust them, they can make a big difference. Using them on older Tube gear especially and I think CW is where they shine the most. I rarely ever used mine on SSB. The last one I had was used on my Hallicrafters SX 111 and that old rig is still pretty decent for it's era. The QF1 (mine was the earlier model) brought out CW signals I would never have been able to copy with out it. How it might work on more modern rigs I can not say as I have only used it mostly on the older tube gear, did use it on my TS 520 a few times and pretty much got the same results. I have seen posts on some of the EME reflectors and many have mentioned using this filter as well so it must be doing something for those guys to still want it in line, For $25 to $40, hard to beat. 73 Jim N0XE

K9RX Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2007 12:21 Send this review to a friend
It DOES work!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is not magic, it is not going to be night and day - but without a doubt my QF1 has provided me with contacts on 80 CW that were without it not workable. Maybe from 30% copy (where one SHOULD NOT CALL) to 65-70% where you can be pretty certain they're calling you and your not inconveniencing anyone). It DOES increase noise - or at least perceived noise - but at the same time it increases the signal more and thus the S/N ratio which is all one is looking for. Note however I have not used it on anything other than CW using the peak filter. The Notch and LP are not something I would use as these functions are much better on my ProIII. The peak however works well for signals that are in the noise. I do recommend it even if using this one function only.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2007 10:58 Send this review to a friend
works as intended  Time owned: more than 12 months
You have to read the manual and know how to get an improved S/N ratio or better QRM free signal reception. There is a learning curve but no moreso than with the new DSP filters. What some forget is that sometimes you sacrifice signal strength for intelligibility improvement, as with IF narrow filters or DSP pre or post AGC filtering. For $60-80 used prices, the QF1A is a VERY good accessory to any receiver or transceiver that needs QRM and heterodyne fighting assistance. Most DSP units are just as "complicated" and require knowing what the knobs and controls actually do. Signal strength of a "processed" received signal usually does go down BUT you can copy better. A lot cheaper than straight skirted roofing filters or multiple IF mechanical or crystal filters..
My QF1A does about what my Timewave 59+ does, just different mechanism of action...

AB7JK Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2007 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Smoke and Mirrors  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned a QF-1A a few months but then sold it. When first purchased used I was excited and thought it really made a difference but as time went on I felt less so. Problem is the notch setting used to knock out background noise also reduces the signal. If you peak the signal it increases the background noise. The result - a wash. At no time did the filter ever improve what I was listening to.

Then I began to realize I was spending way too much time fiddling with the knobs and not enough time transmitting/receiving so I stopped using it (I was trying to improve the quality of the signal which was not possible).

The filter is basically a curiosity not worth the cost.