Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP) Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP)
American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP) Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Miniature size iambic paddle
More info: http://www.americanmorse.com/dcp.htm

You can write your own review of the American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP).

AA7FY Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2017 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Great, really pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Needed a backpack paddle for the camper and this fit the bill and then some! Hated packing my Bengali and didn't want to spend the weekend operating the straight key at 25 wpm. This is a great kit and great paddle. I plan on ordering from American Morse again for a third option!!

KF2YD Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2016 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Looks Nice & Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the DCP paddle kit from American Morse Equipment and the kit arrived in about a week. Some of the threaded screw holes were a little tight so I had to re-tap them and then they were fine. I was a little disappointed that there was only one screw hole in it to hold it to a base. I made my own base which required drilling holes and rearranging the wires were they were conected. Remember that the DCP paddle kit does not come with a base and that you have to purchase the optional base separately for an additional $23 or you have to build your own base like I did. Overall I was very pleased how the paddle kit and my homemade base turned out.

W3FIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great product. Easy to put together. Ran mine through my cartridge tumble polisher to clean it up, especially the paddles, after using some fine emery paper. Mounted it on a piece of wood from local crafts store. Pads on base of key just big enough to form a good "clamp" for the cord -- canabilized cable from Radio Shack -- cut one end off of a 6' stereo cable.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Tiny, functional, and good looking!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this paddle from a nice ham on eBay.

It adjusts easily and sends perfectly.
The bright aluminum presentation gives
it a cool robo vibe ---- a nice contrast to the
little boxy Palm Paddle, which I also like a lot.

It's yet another one of those backpacker
delights : it takes up hardly any space.
Like other small paddles, it requires a 2 handed
style and deserves a strain relief for the cable,
which I provided on a small domino-sized
piece of wood.

A fine item for a CW guy camping in a tent !

W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2014 18:42 Send this review to a friend
WOW This Paddle is Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a paddle for my QRP portable ops. I wanted something rugged, small and reliable.

The DCP paddle is PERFECT for that purpose. (This device will not rise to the level of a Begali or other precision paddles. I didn't expect it to do that.)

I can honestly say that I was WOWed when I opened the package!) The quality is simply outstanding as others have said. Doug, the vendor, communicates well and he ships quickly.

As for the kit, I had mine together in about 30 minutes including finding my tools. I added a small hard wood base about 1/2 inch thick to give more bulk to hold when operating. I used my Dremmel to hollow out enough space in the hardwood (sort of like a basement) to accommodate the wiring connection lugs and wire. The key now sits flush on the wooden base.

Yes, there is only one screw hole that is threaded for base mounting but that's not really an issue. There is a second hole in the paddle base you can use for a pin or small self-tapping screw.

I am happy with this purchase and I recommend it to you.

KU3V Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2013 09:29 Send this review to a friend
One Tip  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this Iambic key and previously rated it a 5 which I do here also. However in the beginning it drove me crazy. The resistance would always rise over time. I found that the paddles are aluminum and the base is aluminum with a steel pin that supports the paddle and sits in the aluminum base. Also there is a AL top that clamps down over the steel pins and to the AL base. I ended up finding the aluminum was oxidizing and creating a higher resistance over time. Then my transceiver would not trigger or intermittently trigger when I pushed on the paddle completing the circuit. So I sanded the aluminum where it contacts the steel pins or other aluminum pieces. Then I put a small amount of Pentrox electrical joint compound on all contact points which stops the build up of oxide. The measured resistance between parts is now less than 1.5 ohms. It works great since then. Also don't spray the aluminum with any clear coats as that will raise the resistance.

KJ5XX Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 12:57 Send this review to a friend
Great little keyer, well engineered, excellent price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished my American Morse DCP. I have to say that for $40, I was pretty impressed. The parts are milled to perfection, and the paddle is well-designed.

It is a kit, so you have to put it together, but it goes together very quickly.

The other thing is that the parts do not come pre-polished. This is easily solved. I sanded each part, first with 800 grit water sanding paper, then 1000, then 2000, and finally polished with aluminum/chrome polish. You won't find these grits at Lowes or Home Depot, so go to the local auto parts store (Autozone and O'Reilly's both carry them). Once done, the finish will look just like chrome.

The only problem I had during assembly is that I found I was short 2 #5 washers. The big box hardware stores don't carry anything this small, so I had to send an email to American Morse to get replacements.

Finally, unless you already have a heavy base in mind, I'd suggest spending $23 more and ordering the Porta-Paddle base. This is a nice, heavy base that is black powder-coated, and looks really nice with the shiny finish on the DCP.

I noticed that one reviewer complained that the DCP only had one mounting screw for the base. That's true, and I thought that this would be a problem, as it would allow the paddle to rotate on the base. After assembly this turned out not to be the case for this reason - there are 4 rubber feet that go on the bottom of the paddle and actually hold the bottom up about 1/8" off the base (allowing clearance for the 3 wire terminals). When the single mounting screw is tightened, the 4 feet compress against the base, providing a very solid mount which does not rotate.

For a total cost of $63, I can't think of a nicer paddle.

WE5EE Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Porta Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great paddle for the price. For the ham who rated it low because it only had 1 mounting hole . . . it isn't hard to drill an extra mounting hole! 73 es God Bless, Sam, WE5EE

XV4TUJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Perfectly fit my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This paddle is cheaply priced but not cheaply made. Very good machining, good parts and careful design give this paddle a nice touch a precision for sending up to about 20 wpm.
It's for portable, it lightweight, and its the somewhat simplified version of the PortaPaddle. With a little work, you can give it a really nice finish.
Once you know all of this it's hard to find caveats to it. Far from a high-end paddle in any terms, and that's cool.
I use it both going portable and at home as a secondary paddle. I send between 15 and 20wpm keeping it still with the left hand.
I will recommend it for any buyers who is aware of what the product is actually. No competition in its price class.

N7RR Rating: 2/5 Jan 9, 2013 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Well Named  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Dirt Cheap Paddle has two good things going for it: its cheap price (made possible by its unadorned aluminum) and its adjustability. It has two major flaws which compound on the negative side: It can be secured to accessories with only one screw, making it vulnerable to rotation, and that problem cannot be readily solved because its base lacks channeling, requiring pinching of the electrical connections when mounted. See the solution for the Mini-B N7RR review. The Porta Paddle II is a much better dual-lever paddle for only $24 more. I no longer own the DCP.