Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP) Help

Reviews Summary for American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP)
American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP) Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Miniature size iambic paddle
More info: http://www.americanmorse.com/dcp.htm

You can write your own review of the American Morse Equipment Dirt Cheap Paddle Kit (DCP).

NR1D Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2009 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Dirt cheap, but robust!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used this paddle in a several locations without a problem. I did mount the paddles backwards to fit my fist (meat hooks on wrists) to give a bigger spacing.
I've used a couple other portable keys that did not hold up to the riggers of portable. Broken plastic, bent paddle arms, where most of the annoyances.

It has worked flawlessly on the ice during slow fishing and on the road from the hotel room.
Well done Doug.

W5YDM Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2009 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for QRP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DCP paddle is small and rugged, but is too difficult to use if you don't mount it to the heavy base (too expensive) or screw it down to the table, like I did. I have the paddle and my K1 mounted to a Walmart light-weight aluminum camping table and it works very nicely. The contacts are just screws with rough ends so you will need to spend a lot of time rounding and polishing them or your paddle will take off on its own, right in the middle of a QSO. Otherwise, the DCP is so rugged you don't need to worry about breaking off an arm if you hit it on something during portable operation. I would never try to use a Bencher/MFJ paddle with plastic pads the way I use my DCP/K1 for portable QRP. I would be replacing pads and hunting all those flimsy parts every time I went out.

N6MUK Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2009 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Wow, Its a great paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DCP kit cost me $39 total, with shipping included. It was fun and easy to build. The instructions mention that the aluminum can be polished with Mother's or Semichrome to a mirror like shine. Wow! no kidding, it looks incredibly bright.

The design, quality and fit & finish are all top notch. Best of all the paddles adjust easily, hold the adjustment and feel great to use. Its a suburb paddle with a light but solid action.

Everyone seems to love the Bencher and "Bencher type" paddles. In my opinion, they feel like they bend and flex too easily with the thin metal levers and plastic handles; I don't like them. And what about this trend of using guitar picks as the paddle handles such as on the Black Widow? LOL! Give me a break.

American Morse understands the mechanical leverage thing and has their design down so the paddles feel and work like paddles should. I stuck the DCP to a 4-1/2" square porcelain kitchen counter tile with Earthquake Putty. It won't budge on the table.

K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2009 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says, and cute too  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just put together a DCP for use in the Jeep Liberty with my ICOM 706. Kit went to gether quickly, but was concerned about how to stabilize the key. Decided to use Quake Secure resuable putty adhesive. Cut a piece the size of the base of the key and attached. Forms a firm bond to most any surface and easily is unattached for storage in the Jeep. Considering removing the rubber foots that came with the DCP and only using the putty which will stablikize the key as well as secure the wiring for the connector on the underside of the key See my review on the putty.

John K4ZNC

KK7WB Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2008 18:12 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PADDLE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Placed the order online through PayPal and took about 3 days for delivery. It took about 25-30 min to assemble, about 10 of that is spent deburring and sanding. After assembly it takes no time to adjust it. I also ordered the leg strap for it for outdoor qrp. Highly recommended.

W8VZM Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2008 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this kit at Dayton where it was introduced. I was looking for a cheap travel paddle to carry with my QRP rig. When I ask Doug about its durability, he tossed it into the air and let it fall to the floor. He then picked it up set it on the counter and lo and behold it was still fully intact and functional! I looked at him and said, SOLD! Then he told me it was covered by a no questions LIFETIME GUARANTEE! Who could ask for more?

The kit went together in about an hour including de-burring and polishing. Adjustment is a breeze and it works fine. The only issue I had was that the audio cable I used to make the keyer connection was fatter than the height of the paddle base. Not by much but enough to create a wobble. After it was mounted to a heavier base it was not an issue. Great product, buy this paddle!