Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley TA-63N Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley TA-63N
Mosley TA-63N Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$ 935
Description: The Mosley TA-63N is a six physical element beam with three active elements on 10, 12, 15, 17, & 20 meters.
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com/page%20files/home.htm

You can write your own review of the Mosley TA-63N.

W3SCA Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I absolutely love this antenna! I have it mounted at 55' on a US Tower TX-455. It is built like a tank and kudos to Mosley on the packaging and shipping. Everything was laid out nicely and color marked nicely as well.

The one complaint I saw again and again as I was researching this antenna was the poor instructions. I can honestly say as an RF engineer that the instructions suck! The few pictures they include are so small and smudgy, you can barely see what they are trying to describe. Many steps dont have any pictures. I had to redo a few steps because the wording was confusing. Also the 40TKR add on kit made references to other Mosley antennas but they didnt even mention the TA63 at all which left me guessing. There was one step where I had to drill extra holes and I think for all of the $$ spent, every hole should already be pre-drilled....

I am very pleased with the performance so far. The SWRs are a bit higher than stated especially on 20 Mtrs and I cant find anywhere where things are wrong or causing it.

I would highly recommend this antenna to anyone thinking about it!

N4FZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent perfomer.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the TA-63N up 3 months now, and I am amazed at it's performance. It is at 42' alone, on a Rohn 25g tower with 3 steel guy wires 9' below the beam. The small 14' boom is perfect for my small city lot. I especially like the performance on the WARC bands, but all around, a solid, well built performer. Good gain, on both Tx and Rx, over my HF-9V vertical.
SWR curves are pretty flat on the WARC bands, and are up to 1.7:1 on the lower ends of 15 and 20m. 10m SWR is good across 1mHz down to 28.080, where the SWR is 1.8:1, to 2.3:1 at 28.010mHz. On 6m, SWR is lowest 1.0:1, at 52 mHz, and is 1.7:1 at 50.025mHz.
When assembling the beam, place the "centers" of the reflector and director at the 1" marks on the boom. You can trim the 2" end caps to fit this small space. You can also use liquid electrical tape to seal the end caps.
Use RG-213 coax, which is the recommended coax type, and construct the 5 turn 6" I.D. RF choke out of RG-213 as well. Tape the 2.5" coax shield and center conductor very well, with silicone and Super 33 tape, (this is important). Use a barrel connector at one end of the RF choke, to connect the feed to the shack. Tape the barrel connections well, to seal out water, when you are installing the beam. Tape the RF choke under the boom.
When you tape the coax from the RF choke, to the mast, use a gentle bend in the coax from the RF Choke, and don't bend your coax into sharp 90 deg angles, which can cause problems later on.
Mosley sent two pieces of the wrong size(it was metric) element tubing, but Mosley sent me the correct standard pieces within two days.
I would recommend the TA-63N to any one looking for a small foot print HF/6m beam that will last for decades and that you can depend on to work loads of DX!

DG2SBL Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2012 14:30 Send this review to a friend
ADDENDUM (in German)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ich baue den Beam momentan zusammen, habe jedoch bemerkt, dass die beigefügte englischsprachige Bauanleitung (V-2.0-2009) im Bereich „Assembly of Boom“ nicht mehr auf dem aktuellen Stand ist.
Der Boom besteht nicht mehr nur aus zwei, sondern mittlerweile aus drei Teilen und zwei inneren (statt einem) Spleisrohren, die jedoch durch entsprechende Markierungen (1) und (2) leicht ineinander geschoben werden können. Der so zusammengesetzte Boom kann dann mit 8 Langschrauben, 8 Zahnscheiben und 8 Muttern (alle diese Teile sind in der Materialliste nicht aufgeführt, sind jedoch in einem Extra-Beutel beigelegt) fest verschraubt werden. Auch hat die Bebilderung in der Anleitung zum TA-53N teilweise mehr zum Verständnis beigetragen, als dies bei der zum TA-63M der Fall ist.

Ich gebe derzeit eine 4 (Good), da die Teile der Antenne zwar qualitativ hochwertig sind, eine Anleitung aber auf dem aktuellen Stand sein sollte.

W7TAE Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2012 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Well built compact performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent service and advice from Mosley- about six weeks for delivery.
For a short boom (14ft) this thing really reaches out from my 60 foot tower. Very broad banded for a short spaced multi band, and I do not use a tuner even with my solid state power amp.

With no moving parts, this antenna is very rugged, its been up over 3 years now and has been trouble free. (I tilt it over for inspection once per year and have had no issues)

My experience was limited de-burring, and easy assembly. The directions are accurate but need a very careful reading, and this is something that Mosely could improve to speed assembly.
With the higher bands opening up this antenna has been lots of fun.
Bottom line: Built like a brick outhouse-performs very well in a small turning radius. Whats not to like?

WU5E Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2011 06:30 Send this review to a friend
1st day with a TA-63N  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi All, the antenna went together very easy.Only one bur to clean up. The SWR curve is a good just as in the manual. I have the antenna on 40 foot Rohn 25G with a hazer. 1st contact this morning June 25th 2011 with JR6GUU on the Southern Cross DX net.

NN4F Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2011 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Purchased this Antenna about 3 years ago, but I've only had it installed for the past 3 months. So I thought it was time for a review.

I am extremly pleased with this antenna, build quality is outstanding, and performance is equally outstanding for the size of the antenna. I now get 59+ signal reports into EU/Asia/VL/ZL from SC, I can hear stations I couldn't hear on the Multiband Doublet, (I know sunspots are increasing, but even now on comparisons, can't hear them.)

If i run the PA, (Alpha78 @1kw) I can get 59+20/30 reports easily.

The only issue is supposedly a low f/b ratio, but I actually find this helps considerably, I still get great fwd gain, but I can still hear stations off the back and side of the beam, albeit a little lower, but still workable, pulling in EU's at s9 and over and still hear the west coast calling me at s4/5...

Overall, I think this is the best antenna in it's class, 6 bands I LOVE IT!!

WB9AZA Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Plays Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Mosley is an excellent short boom, multiband antenna. With that being said it is not for the mechanically challenged ham. The tubing fits very tight which is good, but requires a considerable amount of deburing.
The color on the color code traps wears of easily so I suggest using paint pens to mark all color code components.
I changed several of the fasteners to my liking but one must replace the supplied slotted stainless sheet metal screws with hex head screws. This allows you to use a nut driver to tighten the screws without damaging the screw heads or your hands
I will admit I never owned a yagi of this size held together by sheet metal screws but they work surprising well. The antenna has survived 72 mph wings, ice and typical stormy Midwest weather with no problems on a 60 foot tower.
One major complaint is the poorly written manual that’s supplied. Even MFJ manuals are far better in assembly instructions and diagrams.
However their technical support unlike others is excellent.
When finally completed I can say this is the best short boom antenna I have owned and I have had more than I want to admit to.
Jim WB9AZA

VE3CZF Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Fills the bill  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quite a small space here so wanted the flexibility of several bands and a smaller size, the TA-63N fills the bill. Very easy to assemble, well made and yes as advertised doesn't have the greatest F/B ratio but not an issue with me. Operating as J6 and the yagi arrived as I was told, packed well and I expect many years of fun on the bands. Highly recpmmended.

W1LVL Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2009 13:03 Send this review to a friend
As advertized, maybe better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the TA-63N up for a month now and I am very happy with the results. Run 100 watts and DX is a ease most of the time. works very good on 6 meters also.

George W1LVL EL99

MW0EDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2008 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antennda - 3 el yagi performance on ALL bands 20-6m !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have long been looking for a single feedline antenna with moderate amount of elements to perform on all the bands from 20 to 6m.

You can guess it - the only one company who makes those antennas is...Mosley !

Built like a tank, SWR 1.1 to 1 on most of the bands.

Works all the bands, including 6m, like a 3 el yagi.

I rarely need to use an amplifier (with PA you you will feel as a big gun, hi !).

Excellent gain, just around 12dB front to back.

More then pleased.

Waiting time - around 2 months, but it is well woth it !

73 ! Anton, M0EDX