Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley TA-63N Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley TA-63N
Mosley TA-63N Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$ 935
Description: The Mosley TA-63N is a six physical element beam with three active elements on 10, 12, 15, 17, & 20 meters.
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com/page%20files/home.htm

You can write your own review of the Mosley TA-63N.

WD9IDV Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2008 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good Antenna, Well Built.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Review: Mosley TA-63N

The Mosley TA-63N is a six physical element beam with three active elements on 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 & 6 meters. The TA-63N improves on the TA-53M by adding elements for 6 Meters. With a 15 foot boom and the longest element approximately 27 feet this is a good mid-sized antenna. It came pre-drilled and color coded so I did not have to measure anything. However, I did check final assembled dimensions just to make sure everything was right.

Good gain on all bands, but F/B is almost non-existent. However, it does perform well and has survived an 80MPH wind storm on its first day after being installed. Some trees in my neighborhood were toppled in that storm. I watched as the antenna swayed in the wind with no real bending or twisting. It held up as expected, however I did reinforce it as I built it. (See notes below.) Initial contacts came back with strong signal reports. Good 59 plus signals into New Zealand and Europe when band conditions were pretty bad.

Overall, the antenna performs well and my VSWR was pretty close to 1:2 across all the bands. My antenna is installed on a Glen Martin 8 foot roof tower with a 10 foot mast. The rotor base is approximately 3 feet from top of tower. The tower is installed on my lower roof, next to the edge of my 2nd story roof. This puts the Mosley TA-63N roughly 7- 8 feet over apex of my 2nd story roof. I did not have any adverse interaction with coupling to the roof.

The antenna ships in two boxes and my approximate wait time from initial order was about 2½ months. The first thing I did was look at the manual. I have to say I was initially disappointed with the instructions and parts list description. It was pretty sparse with the descriptions and pictures/diagrams. However, as I eventually got to build the antenna, it got to be clearer. Read carefully!! Pre-label everything. Make sure trap color codes point toward boom. Also, make sure you lightly sand aluminum tubing where it mates and buy extra Penetrox A Anti-Oxidant for assembly.

Steps for easier assembly:

• Measure all tubing to figure out what the parts are and label/number them with permanent marker.

• Use color markers and recolor Traps. Color coding will come off after lightly sanding.

• Remove remaining burrs and use an air compressor to clean inside of tubing.

• Mosley uses one screw to secure sections of tubing. Reinforce by drilling 2 -3 more holes per section. Use # 8 screws ½ inch long. Spread out drilled holes according to length of tubing section. This will really make connection secure, and you will be glad you took the time to do this step. (Trust me…OK!)

• Use liquid electrical tape where coax connects to phasing rods.

• Also, small end caps (near center of boom) on Blue and Red elements might come loose, so I did away with them and used foam “Great Stuff” to seal element ends. The rest of the element end caps go on nice and tight.

• Enjoy…

In closing, I will say it is a nice antenna and works fine. I wish the instructions were clearer with better pictures. My old Cushcraft MA5B showed what every part looked like and had clear step by step instructions and diagrams. Dealing with Mosley was a pleasant experience and every time I called to check on delivery they were very polite.

Specification and Performance Data
Matching System: "Q" match
Recommended coax: (RG-8-U/RG-213) 50/52 ohm
SWR at resonant frequency: 1.0/1 to 1.65/1
Boom Length: 2" x 14 ft.
Turning Radius: 14 ft. 11 in.
Recommended Mast Size: 2 in.
Maximum Element Length: 26 ft. 8 in.
Assembled Weight (approx.): 60 lbs.
Wind Surface Area (in sq. ft.): 7.3 ft.2
Wind Load (EIA standard 80 MPH): 170 lbs.

Any questions feel free to email me.

Robert WD9IDV

Update/Correction

4 Elements on 10, 12, 15, 17 & 20, 3 on 6 Meters.

Also, on the Mosley website in some places they list as the TA-63M, but Mosley tells me it is the TA-63N.
It shipped labeled as TA-63N.

Robert WD9IDV