Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Heathkit SA-2060A Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SA-2060A
Heathkit SA-2060A Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(1991 Kit) 279.95
Description: HeathKit SA-2060A Antenna tuner
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SA-2060A.

WB0SND Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2007 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Leave it to me, Mr. Everywhere I put my foot I step on a landmine to actually blow up my SA2060A. It worked fine until I tried my L4B with it. Then, there was a lightshow inside. I was using a dipole with 300 ohm feedline (DX Engineering). The problem was that there are some large straps connecting the capacitors. The straps were literally resting on the balun. The higher power caused the balun to arc to the straps leaving a lovely hole in the balun wire with a nice burn mark across the balun. I don't know if it was designed this way or the guy who built it put it together wrong. I can't imagine Heath designed it to be this way. So, I'm going to have to repair it and figure out how to keep it from happening again. Still a VERY nice tuner, though.

KD6MXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2007 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my Heath SA-2060 when it first came out in the late 1970's early 80's and it has never failed. I have loaded long wires, short wires, dipoles, yagi's on every frequency imaginable from 1.8 to 30 MHZ in ham, CAP, SHARES service. I have done NVIS experiments and loaded some rather strange antenna designs. Good meters. The set screws do come loose but annual maintenance does wonders. I have three rigs and two auto tuners but for high power this can not be beat. KD6MXE

WI6J Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2007 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I piched up my SB 2060 A from a friend of mine at a club swap meet for $15.00. It's very clean and works great. I have an Ameritron AL-811A amp and use the tuner on my R-7, as well as my Van Gorden all bander shorty. The alternative is to pay several hundred dollars for something that probably is not built as well.

KK0I Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2007 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Another Satisfied Ham  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Being a "renewed" amateur, I picked one of these tuners up on Ebay about 8 months ago. I use it with my Alpha Delta DX-DD and love it. Its been on the air pretty much all the time with the exception of a short time after picking up an LDG AT-11 MP. The LDG is an okay tuner, but won't work for me on 160. I went back to the 2060a and will be there from now on.

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2007 06:15 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my HeathKit not to long ago. It needed some TLC after all the years but was easy to fix up.
I have owned a number of tuners including a Dentron MT-3000A.
I think the 2060 is as good as the Dentron and maybe then some.
The only weakness I found with the unit is that the coupling on the shaft of the inductor tends to wear with age and the set screw can slip on the shaft and you have no idea where on the shaft you are for reference.
Of course as with any Heathkit a lot depends on the soldering technique used by the original builder but that can be fixed too.
I solved this problem by drill through the shaft and coupling and putting a cotter pin into place. Now it's solid as a rock.

W4CAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2006 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Hard To Beat!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner ever since the local Heathkit store closed it's doors back in the late 80's. I was lucky enough to find it already assembled, as it had been part of their demo station, and it was the last piece of ham gear they had left! It's built like a tank and seems to do a fantastic job of matching about everything I've tried it with, from random wires to dipoles (both coax and open-wire fed) to beams - and it will easily handle full legal power. These tuners are getting pretty scarce, since everyone who has one wants to hold onto it - so if you run across one that's in good shape, definitely consider buying it! I sure miss Heathkit!

DAN_TAYLOR_EX_N9GT Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2006 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since recently buying a SB-200 Amp, I knew right away that my 300 watt tuner wasn't going to do the job any longer. A few years back, I helped a ham buddy of mine assemble his 2060 and I remembered the quality of the components, so I ended up getting one on eBay that was like new. I am using it with a shorty dipole and it works fine. Prior to that, I used it with a random wire and it was able to tune it with zero problems as well. If you can find one in good shape and don't want to pop for a new Palstar, then I would definitely recomend this tuner to anyone. Looks as of this posting they are going for around $300 on eBay, but I have seen them for less on some of the buy/sell boards.

WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2006 06:49 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been upgrading the station with a new ProIII transceiver, QRO HF2500DX amp and a SteppIR for the higher bands and was going to replace the 2060A also but just cannot justify it. I use a 100 foot doublet and run full limit on 80 and 40 with smooth tuning and absolutely no problems. I have used the tuner on 160 and it loads fine with 100 watts but have learned in the past to be very careful on 160 with high power and a compromise antenna with previous tuners. A big new Palstar tuner would be nice but Heath had a winner with this design and I love it.

CE3CDV Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2005 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using a MFJ 989C with my TS 950SD and COLLINS 30 L1,but the SA-2060A is just super and very happy with it.The only thing that I missed is a direct position as MFJ nothing else.I highly recommend it.When I open both of them to compare it was incredible the difference MFJ looks so cheap in comparison.
73 and Dx CE3CDV

N7AXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2005 21:41 Send this review to a friend
SA 2060A review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my SA 2060A for 20 years. It is a top quality piece of gear, but I cannot compare it with anything else, since it is the only tuner I have ever owned. It operates smoothly, tuning anything from a coat hanger to a longwire, although it can take some patience finding the right settings. I occasionally take it apart to tighten up the hardware. That extension between the center knob to the roller inducter likes to come loose. My only complaint is with that inductor control knob. Going from 0-380 on the readout can take a long time. I eventually replaced it with a different knob that allows you to twirl it with the end of your index finger. It works much better.
Wonderful gear... A definite buy.
Don