Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Green Light Labs GPS-710 Help

Reviews Summary for Green Light Labs GPS-710
Green Light Labs GPS-710 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: The GPS-710 is a custom built, uncluttered, plug-and-play solution for adding a stand-alone GPS to your Kenwood TM-D710 or RC710 radios. It uses a top-notch 20 channel SiRF-III GPS chipset (with WAAS, ENGOS, and MSAS augmentation) that can acquire GPS lock from a cold start in well under 60 seconds. The active internal antenna has proven itself in prototyping and beta testing to maintain GPS lock, even in very unfavorable placements. The GPS-710 pulls about 40mA of power from the line, and while this peripheral hasn't been approved by Kenwood, it should be well within the operational limits of the TX/RX Base.
More info: http://www.greenlightlabs.com/gps-710/

You can write your own review of the Green Light Labs GPS-710.

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Product Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased through HRO Virginia back in March 2013 and installed in my F150 Pickup. Worked great for 11 months then started to no longer get a lock. I contacted Green Light Labs customer support and a replacement unit was shipped out within a week. New unit installed and working great.

VE7LSE Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2013 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Works Awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No problems at all. Easy to install and works like a charm! 2 seconds and it has a GPS fix!

Highly recommended!

KK4KXI Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2013 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Cust Serv, and product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Orig Rating was 0 as unit stopped working after 4 mo or so.After contacting Green Labs they said they had trouble with some units and agreed to ship me a new unit the same day.....New unit locks in after on 3-5 seconds , this in garage and under dash Needless to say i am amazed at cust service and units sensitivity....

KT3L Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Isn't it amazing...there have been a few of these in these reviews that had to be returned, mine included, but the product still gets very high marks. Hams put a premium on great service from the vendor and it shows. Hope other manufacturers are listening.

The GPS-710 works great and is very sensitive. I compare to the old Tom-Tom I used to have in the vehicle, which would take forever to sync. The GPS-710 usually takes no more than 5 seconds to provide coordinates to the rig. After 4 month I had the same issue with losing lock and eventually, never getting lock. Replacement was sent in a matter of days. Great job and great customer service.

K4OC Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2013 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great product and support !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this for my TM-D710 and I installed this item on my remote head that is mounted in my vehicle between the seats on a post mount coming up from the floor bolt. I was worried that the unit would not get a GPS lock since it was so "hidden".
TO MY DELIGHT THIS UNIT LOCKED ON GPS very QUICKLY !!!!
It worked great for months but I started to notice that ever once in a while it would take a long time to lock on sat and eventually it would not lock on sat at all.
I was not looking forward to dealing with someone for warranty that I have never dealt with before but let me tell you what happened.
I emailed Greenlight Labs and I got a reply the next morning with instructions on some things to check. I responded back and let them know that I had done all of that and still no luck.
Greenlight labs emailed me back the same day and instructed me to send the unit back and they would pay for the shipping of the replacement.
No problem...it only cost me $6 to ship the small package back via USPS from Cary, NC to Rochester, MN.
So I shipped it last Friday Sept 13, 2013. So today Sept 19, 2013 I was thinking about contacting them to see if they figured out what was wrong, etc but when I got home THERE WAS A Priority Mail 2day Package waiting for me. I knew what it was and when I opened it THERE WAS A BRAND NEW DEVICE INSIDE !!!!

In this day and age bad news travels very fast but good news seems to propagate at a very slow or non existent rate. Because of that the next thing I have done since opening the package and installing the new device a few minutes ago is to come on here and LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME !!!

Thank you Greenlight Labs for standing behind your product !!! You have won over another customer !

73 de K4OC

W1ICU Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Works and Works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This GPS locks on in seconds from down near the cup holders in my F-150. I did have an issue and must say dealing with Green Light Labs was wonderful, talk about customer service. EXCELLENT!!

VE3XQT Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 12:37 Send this review to a friend
If you have or thinking about a Kenwood TM-D710A, BUY THIS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, just as advertised, plugged it in and in seconds while I was checking settings, locked on and up and running! Why can't everything work like this? As the header states, if you have or thinking about the Kenwood TM-D710A, you will want this add-on. I'm new to APRS although been on the air for over 20 years. This is fun! Great support and instructions on how to install and set up with accurate references to the mobile unit.

K9RUF Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Works With More Than The TM-D710  Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently I became interested in doing DPRS with my D-Star ICOM ID-880. Initially I was hooking up old GPS's I had laying around to this radio and they got the job done all be it they were very slow to acquire the satellite signal compared to the fast Green Light. Then one day as I was looking at the side of the Green Light GPS attached to my Kenwood TM-D710 and I became curious what the open 2.5 mm jack was used for. Looking in the Green Light GPS manual I learned it's a GPS output. Quickly I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 2.5mm jacks and wired up a cable. When I wired it I swapped the tip and ring so it would communicate with the ICOM and left the sleeve connected to the braid on both ends. Yip it worked just fine with the usual fast Green Light satellite acquisition. So now I can beacon on my Kenwood and my ICOM with the same GPS. Pretty slick.

Best 73,
Dave
K9RUF

GI0ZGB Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2013 03:32 Send this review to a friend
The Bees Knees  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent GPS receiver, used by Kenwood UK on their demo models, perhaps not officially approved but that was all the encouragement I needed to purchase. Easy fitting and rapid satellite capture, worked like a dream, but sadly, less than a month later, it died in its sleep. Bought mine from LAM Communications whose customer support is outstanding, sent it off and presently awaiting a replacment. Despite the unexpected death I would recommend this unit to anyone, the performance outclasses other more expensive units.

VK4FLAB Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2013 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Great unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked first time I set it up, locked in really quickly, and was great. Sadly though now some 15 months later it has suddenly stopped working, so now I hope that there's some chance of warranty, but unfortunately that's going to mean some postage expense (cost me $40 in shipping from the USA initially).

This unit is what sealed the deal on buying a 710 over another radio at the time.

was vk4flab, now vk4blp.