Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Green Light Labs GPS-710 Help

Reviews Summary for Green Light Labs GPS-710
Green Light Labs GPS-710 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $129.99
Description: The GPS-710 is a custom built, uncluttered, plug-and-play solution for adding a stand-alone GPS to your Kenwood TM-D710 or RC710 radios. It uses a top-notch 20 channel SiRF-III GPS chipset (with WAAS, ENGOS, and MSAS augmentation) that can acquire GPS lock from a cold start in well under 60 seconds. The active internal antenna has proven itself in prototyping and beta testing to maintain GPS lock, even in very unfavorable placements. The GPS-710 pulls about 40mA of power from the line, and while this peripheral hasn't been approved by Kenwood, it should be well within the operational limits of the TX/RX Base.
More info: http://www.greenlightlabs.com/gps-710/

You can write your own review of the Green Light Labs GPS-710.

KG4NVB Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2013 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned this GPS for a little over a year. The setup and satellite lock on is great. However, it has stopped working. I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems with this GPS? I will attempt to send it back under warranty and see what happens.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2012 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Set it up on the D710 in the house and it worked great, put it on the D710 in the Jeep and it worked even better. Easy to install, easy to setup, worked perfectly from the start.

Great APRS addition!!

W5PFG Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2012 15:34 Send this review to a friend
No-brainer for TM-D710 Owners  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you want a clean, simple, and very functional GPS to pair up with your TM-D710 then look no further!

Setup is quick, easy, and painless.

This is a no brainer!

WX1CT Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Shortly after buying a new vehicle I casually mentioned to my wife that it would be nice not to have the GPS cluttering up the dash. The next day I happened to run across a post mentioning the GPS-710. I immediately ordered one! Installation was easy and the unit operates great. My D-710 sits somewhat low in relation to the dash but acquisition time for the GPS is typically 2-5 seconds. If you own a D-710 this is a must have for a GPS!

N0OQA Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2011 19:30 Send this review to a friend
GREAT product and GREAT customer service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I traded my old Astro van in for a Jeep Liberty and mounted my Kenwood D710 into it. The jeep does not have much room and remounting my old GPS became a major problem. When I saw the GPS-710 it was the best possible solution for me. Shipping was fast and I had it in a few days.

When I installed it my radio started doing a power reset every 2 seconds. I contacted Green Light Labs and a replacement unit arrived so fast I could not believe it. My Kenwood D710 still had the same problem with the second unit.

Green Light Labs helped me troubleshoot the problem to a defective interface cable between the radio and the main unit. I replaced the cable with one I had in my junk box and I am up and running again!!!

The GPS-710 worked perfectly, my radio had a bad cable.

What you get with the GPS-710 is: (1) a great GPS that locks incredibly fast, (2) custom designed specifically for the Kenwood D710, and (3) THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME.

Kenwood D710 + GPS-710 = Great APRS rig (HAPPY)

W5JDA Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2010 22:31 Send this review to a friend
reliable GPS reciever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I cannot say anything that hasn't been said already. locks-on fast works reliably - practically forget it is there.

K0WJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2010 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first GPS-710 a couple of years ago right after I bought my TM-D710. From the time I opened the box, hooked everything up and had a working APRS system was literally, about five minutes. It has not missed a lick in the time I've had it. Soon after, I bought another one for my TH-D7A(G). Works exactly the same except you have to externally power the unit which is no big deal. I use it in portable applications/APRS events and the whole thing fits in a small camera bag with enough battery to work for a week or so. The owner is a straight up guy that I'd trust unquestionably. More manufacturers could learn a great deal from him regarding superior customer support.

ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2010 16:09 Send this review to a friend
All you need for APRS with the TM-D710a  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found this product on a Google search, and ended up here. Good reviews, went to Green Light Labs and downloaded the information. AES are the retails suppliers now for Green Light Labs, which is good and bad for us international buyers. Good is that you can buy it - bad is no credit card service, bank wire transfers only, which almost doubled the price (if you include the freight as well), with the exchange rate between the USD/NZD.

Had a friend order some and bring them out from the USA in a recent trip so no Customs Duty!

Installs easily as per the excellent instructions. Makes for a very tidy install. I have my Kenwood TM-D710A head unit mounted just above the centre console in my 2001 Ford Mondeo. I have the head unit facing me on an angle, as the GPS protrudes out the back - this is ideal as we drive on the left side of the road down here.

Like other reviewers this unit 'locks' on very fast. Great product and a must have for Kenwood TM-D710A owners.

Only complaint, which does not effect the rating of 5, is the way AES do business with international buyers.

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2009 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Best standalone option  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I got my Kenwood TM-D710 I was using a model Garmin that I normally ran in the car, and ran a cable to the Kenwood, this worked fine, but having to remember to turn the unit on and off, or the additional cables for power, it wasn't that pretty. When I got this, it easily mounted behind the head unit, I even have my head unit down by the center console and it locks on every time within 2 seconds of power the radio and never has lost lock, this works better then my garmin units (60C) I still use my nuvi in the car but I let this GPS be independent for my APRS needs and it works great no clutter.

M0SAY Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 11:16 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well its the best gps i have every had it locks on in no time at all very small and easy to setup, every peace of ham tackle should be like this,one downside and if you live in the uk is the customs charge witch is bad its a wopping 26 pounds extra so you guys in the states are ok but it makes it a bit more,but i dont regrest buying it its great,go on buy one.