Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | LaCrosse Technology WS-2317 Professional Weather Station Help

Reviews Summary for LaCrosse Technology WS-2317 Professional Weather Station
LaCrosse Technology WS-2317 Professional Weather Station Reviews: 5 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $279.95
Description: With the La Crosse WS-2317 weather station, the outdoor sensors are all wired together. To clarify, there are no wires coming to the inside display however the three outside sensor devices are all connected to each other, as shown in the picture above.
The WS-2317 weather station has the ability to monitor wind, rain, temperature, and humidity. It also has radio controlled time and date. Software and serial cable to connect the base receiver to your PC is included as well.
The WS-2317 comes complete with wireless indoor console, temperature/humidity sensor, rain gauge, and anemometer.
More info: http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2317/index.php

You can write your own review of the LaCrosse Technology WS-2317 Professional Weather Station.

KB1NXE Rating: 1/5 Sep 10, 2010 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Not a good choice for a ham.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these for 2 years. I recently replaced it with a Davis ProVantage 2 because it did not work well in a RF environment. If I ever transmitted on 40 meters, I wold get feet of rain per minute. Since I had it set to alarm if the rain fell at a rate of more than 1 inch an hour, Beep Beep Beep in the middle of a QSO. Not fun.

I would need to reset the whole system on a regular basis. Remove the batteries and power supply from the indoor unit, the batteries from the outside unit, wait 20 minutes, put them all back in and step through all the menus.

I gave it to my nephew. He's much happier with it that I would be. Get a Davis....

KC5SII Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2010 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Gives erroneous readings and weak HW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for a little over 1.5 years. It is OK for the hobbyist. However, I'm not sure how they get "Professional" out of it. I had to return the sensor after about 6 months of operation because it wouldn't recognize "Ticks" from the rain gauge. the new one, for some reason says the wind is at 248 degrees between 3 and 5pm regardless of the direction the vane is pointing. That seems to be dependent on the temp. It usually happens when the temp is above 90. It also occasionally drops the temp to about 30 - 40 degrees from actual. I recently changed the batteries. It did the temp thing a couple of times since but seems to have ceased for now. I give it an OK because the readings seem to be more accurate than I expected (When they aren't off in the weeds) and the batteries seem to go for a lot longer than I expected. It also plays well with APRS. It would be nice if I could connect it directly to the TNC. I'm using two computers because I had none with two serial ports. It's OK for the money but don't expect too much. I have a friend who has a Preet Brother's that he can't keep in the air, so, I can't tell you not to buy a La Crosse at half the price.

KP3S Rating: 1/5 Nov 17, 2008 09:44 Send this review to a friend
A piece of Junk!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No RF shielding of any kind, any RFI from any HF band at 100W will give you wrong readings either by cable or wireless. Don't waste your money. You get what you paid for, simply trash.

KE8WO Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2008 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Good value at $100  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of these at the local Best Buy about a year and a half ago at $100. I have been using it in the wireless mode since then. It has performed well except for one issue: At higher outdoor temperatures of mid 80's and up, the reported wind speed is very high and erratic. I agree that the outdoor temperature sensor needs to be reasonably shaded. When used wirelessly, the slower sample rate used does not provide for capturing any fast changing wind speed or direction changes. The device can be connected to your PC's serial port to save recorded weather parameters. Doing this once a week will give you good continuous weather record. The included PC software provides a good method to further analyze the collected data. At the price I paid, I think it is a good device that measures all main weather related parameters.

W5UY Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2008 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Very versital product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you need a weather station for a reasonable price, give this one a try. It can be purchased for around half the suggested retail, including shipping. It was received well packaged with complete instructions and all needed installation materials. Putting it up was quite easy and the only issue was placement of the temperature sensor---although it comes in a shielded mounting, it cannot be placed in the sun. The instructions do not emphasize this, but they should. The system can operate on 433 mHz or with the cables provided. I installed the system with the cables as the update time is more frequent. My interaction with LaCrosse customer service was very positive. Information was provided and followed up by a phone call. The software program that comes with the unit is very basic, but there are others available elsewhere, both free and for a small subscription. So far, I am quite satisfied with purchase and recommend the unit.