Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Para Dynamics PDC4-DX Antenna Switch Help

Reviews Summary for Para Dynamics PDC4-DX Antenna Switch
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Four position desk top antenna switch for three antennas or radios, with a shared antenna input in one switch position.

You can write your own review of the Para Dynamics PDC4-DX Antenna Switch.

WD8PCU Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2010 09:01 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this at a hamfest for a dollar a few years ago. I soon found an excellent use for it.
My Ham Station has a separate TX and RX and I use two antennas. I decided to use the switch only on RX. What I found to be extremely beneficial is that I connect a vertical Zepp to the Vert. Input and a Horizontal Zepp to the Hor. Input. SO that means when I switch to position four I end up with a beautiful Windom .
One little switch gives me three super antennas.
Now understand that Zepp antennas are used without
grounding the far end of the feedline.
However I have a separate switch where if needed I can also ground the feedline.
This PDC4 - DX is absolutely EXCELLENT for Diversity Reception.

KI4SDY Rating: 3/5 Jun 14, 2008 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Useable Antenna Switch.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The good thing about these switches ( I have two)is that they will handle three antennas or radios into a single input and one of the switch positions will allow a shared input to two radios or antennas and another is isolated from the shared circuit. This allows a lot a flexibility and consolidation that is not available from other antenna switches. Plus this is a desk top box design that looks better and is more convenient in operation than an octopus switch.

When using the shared circuit with two radios into one antenna and transmitting, I would turn the other radio off, even though they should be switched to one or the other, to protect the receiver of the non transmitting radio. Signal isolation is not very good in this switch box.
The best signal isolation is the auxillary connection, which is not part of the shared circuit. If isolation is a concern, you can work two recievers in the shared circuits and a transceiver in the auxillary. Even then, you may have to turn off the receivers to prevent RFI when transmitting. Still, a very flexible system that saves on coax and antennas.

Now the bad news! The switch knobs usually come pushed all the way back against the face of the switch box and held in place with a hex head screw. This scratches off the paint on the front panel. The knobs also slip and move when working against the very stiff switch mechanism.

The fix! I removed the knobs with an allen wrench, repainted the white switch position lines with white auto paint and blue painter's tape and installed two metal washers on the switch post behind the knobs to move them back. I also placed silicon glue on the switch posts and remounted the knobs with the allen wrench. Now everything works and looks as it should.

These are cheap copies of the Dosey switch and should be treated as such. I use a pair in my secondary portable shack at work. One is Hooked up to a 10 meter and 11 meter transceiver with one antenna. The other is hooked up to a 2 meter transceiver and scanner. There is a small signal loss on receive with the shared circuit, but the convenience far outweighs the very insignificant performance loss (less than one S unit on HF an VHF). Besides, when I hear something of great interest, I can just switch over to that radio, to improve the signal.