Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Hendricks PFR-3 Transceiver (40/30/20m) Help

Reviews Summary for Hendricks PFR-3 Transceiver (40/30/20m)
Hendricks PFR-3 Transceiver (40/30/20m) Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $200
Description: A threeband transceiver with integral manual antenna tuner
More info: http://www.qrpkits.com

You can write your own review of the Hendricks PFR-3 Transceiver (40/30/20m).

KD0MEQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2011 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Fun kit, good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new builder, and this was my first "big" kit. The instructions were clear enough for a new guy to follow, and by taking my time and checking everything twice it worked first time. I like the fact that there are "smoke tests" that you do as you progress through the kit to check your progress.

Alignment only took 15min or so, and all tests were right on the money.

The Yahoo PFR-3 group is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement to a new builder.

There were only a few "cons" to the build. There were a few minor parts missing (resistors and capacitors), and one of the capacitors listed is a different color than the ones provided. not a big deal, but enough to make a new builder scratch their head for a while.

I'll do an updated review after field day, when I hope to have some CW pros put the radio through its paces.

Mike KD0MEQ

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2011 04:51 Send this review to a friend
SUPER 3 BANDER RIG 5+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the rig used.
Then I had problems.
I had it packed and ready to send back.
I did this 3 times:-)
Well the Seller Dale Putman didn't send any papers and I did not know the manual could be down loaded.He sent me the link and it was just what I needed.

Well It wouldn't tune right then I was told the tuning is very touchy.
I then read the tuning instructions but I still had problems with the rig dropping power and even shutting down.
Then A ham STEVE on the pfr3 site told me there were issues with the battery holder.
I had new batteries in but no power.
However all was well on external power so I looked at that internal battery tray and I sanded the springs down,added a bit on tension and after that all was well.
It took some time to get used to the tuning and sharp ATU but after a few days I was knocking out several contacts a day and already have 5 Countries.
The radio I find is very,very, hot,and selective and the band width seems more like my big rig with a 250Hz CW filter in it.
I tuned it to the W1AW FREQ. and when they came on it was spot on.
If there is any drift from a cold start it wasn't enough to use the RIT.
I now just keep it in a tubber ware box with ear buds,small paddles and the 65 foot wire.
When I operate I just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket and pull in my end fed that I always leave and i'm on the air.
The highest WR I get is a 1.2 to 1 on 30 meters.
Steve Weber did a super job designing this rig.
THANKS STEVE!!!!.
5+ watts on all 3 bands and I like the idea of a final for each band
An all in 1 true field radio.
Very happy with it and no it is not for sale:-)
BOB
AF2Q

N7BAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 19:10 Send this review to a friend
N7BAV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The PFR-3 is not my first kit and is a bit more complex than the NORCAL 40 and similar stuff I had built previously. I enjoyed the build and had a friend who helped me out when I had questions, tnxs Tom. I fired it up today for the first time and find the receiver sensitive and pleasant to listen to. I made two QSO in a few minutes, the most distant being Oregon to Georgia on 20 meters. The PFR-3 is a good deal when you look at price vs features. I look forward to taking it into the mountains this summer.

Ed N7BAV

W2LJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2010 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Very, very good!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a great radio; and I have grown to like it more amd more since I built mine. I had a little problem with the build, as one of the "pre-installed" parts was mounted upside down, resulting in a totally deaf receiver. Steve Weber and Dan Tayloe were both immensely helpful in getting that rectified.

In practice, I find the receiver to be very good and the transmitter and tuning sections work as advertised. This is a very lightweight unit and is ideal for backpacking, camping, etc. I find the loudness of the audio output can vary depending on what you use to listen to the radio. With a pair of cheapie headphones, the audio output seems light; but yet with a good pair of Sony earbuds, I get plenty of volume. An outboard audio amplifier, such as a Booster-oo, might be in order if your ears are getting a lil' bit older, like mine.

Two things which I don't like; and these are personally my opinion and do not degrade the radio's performance whatsoever, but they're the reason I gave a "4" rating instead of a "5".

The LED frequency display is very difficult to read in a sunny operating position. Since this radio was meant to be used in the field, this is a pain. Yes, you can shield the display with your hand or something else; but that is a bother. A LCD display or an accompanying audio readout would be nice; but I am sure that would have jacked up the very reasonable price of this kit. I have learned to make do.

The other totally subjective thing - the original PFR3 came with a silk screened enclosure. The newer PFR3A (which I have) comes with a set of decals for the indicator markings. I would have paid the extra 10 or 12 bucks to have a screened enclosure.

But those two nitpicks aside, this is a really, really good radio. The build is not hard if you already have a kit or two under your belt. It will serve you well out in the field.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2010 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Oh the fun is back!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was ready to place an order for the kit when I stumbled across one on eBay, built and ready to go for the same price. What a gem. Very well engineered. My first night with it, I worked ZL and KH, using my invisible doublet. The current drain is very low, perfect for sitting on a rock out in the boonies. It has a very good receiver. With its built in antenna tuner, internal battery holder and keyer, it makes for a very compact travel package. I'm not selling my K2, my 10 watt QRO rig, but the Hendricks is a very good value for a unique QRP radio. I think this radio will end up with a cult following. Grab one if you can.

NF8V Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2010 22:03 Send this review to a friend
This radio ROCKS!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Current version is the PFR-3A which is the one I have.
I was slow building it, but man what a radio.
great receiver. I wish it was not yellow.
If your thinking about getting this radio just quit thinking and do it. There is a excellent support group on Yahoo, pfr3_group PFR-3 Group .
I have had several contacts on a dipole.
This is a well made radio, I really like the matching key.
73 NF8V Rich in Toledo, OH

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2010 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Appreciated Technology and Portable QRP Functionality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steven Weber's PFR-3A design is a solid performer and a pleasure to build. It produces 5 Watts on three bands 40/30/20 meters with 8 internal Ni-M-H AA rechargeable batteries. Those batteries are still on their first charge after about a half dozen contacts over the past few days.

My first QSO was a good one -- a QRP ragchew. Pete, AA2AD, Erie, PA was using a KX-1 with double Zepp. I recorded the first part of the QSO when I answered Pete's CQ on 40m and you can listen to it at http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/6/hUJiK9eQ0K0

The internal tuner and SWR bridge with LED tuning indicator work very well. I have used it with a couple different antennas, high-Z and low-Z. The internal keyer works well but I have yet to store messages in its memory.

You can see the microprocessor, display and receiver assembled here: http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/2/2aZYegVjMhI and the transmitter, low pass filters, SWR bridge and balanced line tuner assembled and tested here: http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D#p/u/1/wJs2iYGd-VA

I appreciated the technology and portable QRP functionality available in this reasonably priced kit ($280 with keyer 5/5/10)

73 DE NG9D . .

N4ODC Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2010 20:04 Send this review to a friend
PFR-3 AND ME !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I HAVE TO TELL THIS STORY ABOUT ME AND THE PFR-3. I BOUGHT THE RIG BUILT, BUT HAVING A BALL WITH IT. THE POWER WENT OFF LAST DECEMBER THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS, SO I HOOKED THE PFR-3 TO A BATTERY AND A DIPOLE. IT WORKED FINE. I STAYED HOME WITH JUST ME AND THE PFR-3.I MADE OVER 150 CONTACTS WITH THE 5 WATT RIG. IT KEPT ME COMPANY WHILE THE POWER WAS OFF. AND EVER SOME OF THE HAMS I WORKED CALLED THE POWER COMPANY HERE IN KENTUCKY AND REPORTED MY POWER WAS OUT..I ALSO WANT TO THINK THEM.AND MOST OF ALL I WANT TO THINK THE GUY THAT BUILT THE PFR-3 HIS LOSS WAS MY GAIN FOR SURE....I ALSO TAKE THE RIG MOUNTAIN TOPPING..THE RIG FOR ME IS THE HENKRICK'S (PFR-3) 73'S

K2MEN Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2010 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a great kit building experience! And what a great radio!
All parts were in the box. If you damage or misplace a part, a replacement is provided at no cost. It's an intermediate build, so don't make this your first kit. Yahoo group support is your helpline and is monitored by the kit builder/designer should you be lucky enough to have a problem (troubleshooting is half the fun!). If my memory serves me, they even warranty parts for life.
I have purchased several kits from Hendricks and been satisfied every time. The PFR3 is no exception. If you like to build, and have a great radio as a result, get one.

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2010 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Portable Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm writing this review out of town just after running this rig portable.Pushing up the mast of my antenna last night and seeing the beautiful starry sky gave me a good feeling. EU DX just after on 40m, even better. Built it almost two years ago and never regreted using it. Capable of doing ragchews or DX if conditions are right, it has been wonderful to take portable to the park, backyard or away.I use it in combo with a wire vertical that's easy to set up. Thanks for making this available Doug!