Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpine screwdriver antenna
 Alpine screwdriver antenna Reviews: 49 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $210.
Description: HF mobile screwdriver antenna, 80-6 meters, with integrated matching coil.
More info: http://www.alpineantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

W7JBM Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna Reasonably Priced  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wes has great customer service, I have had this antenna a few years now and have had excellent contacts for example, Salem,Oregon to Dublin, Ireland or Salem, Oregon to Christchurch, New Zealand while mobile. I have had reports such as "that is the best sounding mobile setup I have ever heard". I am a very happy customer of Alpine Antenna. My setup is Yaesu FT 857D, barefoot to the model 100 BP Alpine Antenna. Wes Rocks!

KD0JUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Best decision for HF mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From the research of Alpine Antennas all the way through the installation and operation, there's only one word to describe the product and the support.......SUPERIOR!

The workmanship, quality of materials, and of course the fair price were the principal factors that influenced me to purchase the 100SP screwdriver antenna from Alpine. As you read the other reviews and the reviews of other producers of this type of antenna, realize the "other guys" are embroiled in identifying who is the best and through bragging rights are laying claim to your wallet.

If you're looking for durability, performance and personal attention to your installation, purchase from Alpine. I've received several phone calls from Wes and he's committed to having satisfied customers. I made some funny yet serious mistakes, and when the shared laughter ends Wes is in your corner to get your install completed.

I haven't owned the equipment for very long, yet I am fiercely loyal and impressed with Alpine Antenna. I could afford this HF mobile antenna without consulting a loan officer at my bank and Wes has seen to it that it performs and performs well.

You do have choices..... make one you can live with and enjoy all the HF bands can offer......Alpine just makes sense, I love it!

Thanks Wes for your tireless interest in my project and the genuine selfless participation you offered in the completion of it.

KD0JUD
Michael

W7CH Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
W7ch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered this antenna from Wes as a portable quick on and off antenna for my RV. On when camping and off when traveling, I made my quick disconnect mount and the antenna bounces around in the RV storage compartment when traveling including a quick 1/4 turn mount for the whip it has been doing this for about three years now and performs excellent. we have been traveling the South West for the last two winters so it sees a lot of use and a lot of travel time on its side never failing and performing well. Now I'll tell you about the service from Wes. I ordered this antenna from California and he mailed it to me in just a few days, after ordering it sent to my home QTH in Washington State When it arrived at my local Post office I received notice from them , went to pick it up and all they handed to me was an empty cardboard tube I explained the tube should weigh a few pounds and they just shrugged and said sorry charlie! I called Wes and explained the situation he said no worries he would make another and send it.In just a few short days the new one arrived well taped on the ends of the cardboard tube I might add! Wes is number one when it comes to antennas and customer satisfaction as this story proves. give this guy and his products a try you wont be sorry. I visited Wes at-the Yuma ham fest last year and he is a great guy, I am looking forward to seeing him again this year in February.
RogerO, w7ch, Manson Washington.

K7ZGQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Still tickin!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Alpine screwdriver since 2010 and have beaten it smashed it hit it with every strange experiment that I could muster in the mad scientist workshop and it still works.........perfect! So I added it in as a permanent part of my home antenna system since it is so good. 5-btv with a alpine screwdriver.

W5RJH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wes was great to work with from the initial talk we had about possibly getting the antenna all the way to the point where it was installed on my jeep. It works well and is built solid. The shipping was fast and the antenna arrived well packed ready to install. I built my own control box but if the quality of his controller is comparable to the quality of the antenna he makes I'm sure its good.
thanks

ZL2TZE Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna for your Dollar  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can say is this has to be the best Mobile Antenna for your Dollar. I take my hat off to Wes he is a man of his word, the service is great and no question or help I asked for went unanswered.
Like most others I was looking for the best value antenna I could afford and this Alpine Antenna BP1 won my heart hands down. I had tried Mobile whips of the same cost and tossed them away for a KA6ELK Alpine Screwdriver Antenna.
I use the Mobile daily and I get good reports from all over the world even had a great speed test while mobile at 160 Kms and there ws no noticeable difference at 100 to 160 Ks. The workmanship is top notch !! I have added some clamp on ferrites to all the leads of the Antenna and controller I also purchased the motor upgrade the original is still fine ... I would say the antenna will out last me.
I have it mounted on my Toyota Surf ( see qrz.com )I did all the bonding and more .. Thanks Wes I am impressed !!!
73 Phillip ZL2TZE

K4PIM Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Value, Nice Antenna and noadditional tuner needed.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided on a mobile antenna, because my summer location in NC is on the SW side of a steep mountain, and with my fixed setup (Icom 718, Icom AT-500 tuner and 31' vertical), I cannot get signals out to the N and E, covering the Eastern seaboard and Europe. I decided in the Alpine Screwdriver because of the excellent reviews here on eHam
I am very happy with my new Alpine Screwdriver mobile antenna. The ordering and shipping process went smoothly and both the antenna and control box arrived as promised. The installation on the rear bumper of my truck was simple and went without a hitch, following the written instructions provided by Wes. Initial tuning was relatively simple, using as guide the number of turns exposed, again provided by Wes. After tuning on 20 M, I immediately made contact with another Ham. Tuning the higher bands (10 through 20 M) was easiest, and once tuned in approx. center, there is no need to re-tune across the band. 40M meter requires some retuning. The 80 M was trickiest because of the larger travel of the coil and the very sharp peak. Just carefully watch the SWR meter.* Re-tuning is required as you move across this band.
After tuning at the center of each band, I marked the tube with a black permanent marker, which can be seen from the cab. Returning to another band, and finding the tune is thereby made simple.
I have made about 10 QSOs so far on 15 and 20 M, and signal reports ranged from S5-8
In summary, this antenna is a good value and a nice addition to my toys. I can now drive my truck to high locations and reach around the compass. I made a ground wave QSO on 15 M from Waterrock Knob on the Blue Ridge Parkway (5820 ft.) to a ham in TN, estimated 80 miles away!
*I don't recommend tuning while driving!

K6JHU Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me explain my situation. I have 3.5 acres but I also have CCR's. No tower, no beams. So I am using the screwdriver antenna in a vertical ground plane configuration. 26 radials, each 33' long on the ground. 102" whip instead of the recommended 72" whip.

I entered the recent RTTY contest using PSK31 and about 40 watts. Logged a D2 and an LE1 (at 59 each). Thought nothing of it until I looked them up! So to say that the antenna performs like a champ is an understatement.

I am also in one of those places where winter weather is an issue. When I drive the antenna (with a 13.8 VDC supply) it just goes. No matter what the weather. The sleeve over the top to keep the water out really helps. It is built with heavy gauge metal that looks like it will stand up forever.

I use the method of placing gorilla tape on the support post and visually lining up the antenna with the tape. Tuning is very sharp, so if you can watch the SWR as you tune, 1:1 SWR is easily achievable on 15-80. Because I am using a 102" whip I can only get down to 2:1 SWR on 10m but the antenna tuner takes care of that. Should go down to 1:1 with the 72" whip

I keep the two grounds separate. The antenna is physically mounted to a 6' galvanized rod driven into the ground. Then I drilled a hole in an Aluminum plate and slipped it over the galvanized. The ground wires and the coax return are connected to the plate.

Wind gust here, since I have installed the antenna, has been up to 62 mph. Didn't faze the installation one bit. To be expected since it is a mobile antenna. But no car rear deck to protect it here. Antenna takes the full brunt of the wind and weather.

Considering that this a compromise for what I would really like to have installed, this antenna more than meets my expectations and at this point, even if I could change to a new system, I wouldn't. This antenna works great. As a previous poster said, WOW.

K1RC Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2012 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Easy install-Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Model 100BP antenna from Wes. Talked to him on the phone at length about the install. What a great guy who knows his stuff about antennas.
We both agreed that the preperation of the vehicle before the install makes all the difference.
Received the antenna in about 4 days and the install took about an hour from start to finish.
Its mounted on a 2011 Dodge Journey SUV. The mount is 2" x 1/2" thk Aluminum flat stock bolted
directly to the frame. Great, no engine noise, no
computer noise, no nothing. The mount exits thru the reflector in the bumper which makes for a neat
installation.
Wes makes a great 2-speed motor controller that works super. The antenna tunes easily on all bands and I added some stripeing tape on the plexiglass tube for the resonant points on each band.
I can tune to resonance by looking at the ant in
the rear view mirror.
All in all, its a great product with super Tech
support from Wes.
The Secret: Do your research, prep the vehicle mount and the installation will go without a "Hitch". Pun intended.. Great Antenna Wes....

KJ4SLY Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2011 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Guy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WOW! is what I have to say initially. I purchased the 100SP model with the two speed controller(very nice) from Wes. I fabricated my own bracket off of the side of the Reesed hitch. Got it out and up. 5 inches diagonal from the tail light, 32" from the ground. Worked out nicely. Took off just after I got it installed. 4 Hours on the road both ways, 2 days apart, during the day from 1 until 5pm. Worked everything from 6m to 80m nicely. The tuning learning curve was very short. Super easy to tune once you figure it out. Like Wes said, low power on AM, and tune right to it with the SWR meter. After that, a bump here and there an you are resonant. 1.0 on most to 1.5 on every thing else. Switching bands is easy considering there is more than one resonant area on most bands, so you can work 75 and 17 or 40 and 6 with a bump of the controller.
I stayed on 10meters most of the trip. It was open, and I never keyed up more than twice, even in the pileups to Spain and Portugal without getting a 5/8-5/9 report back. Worked a 10m pile up from a light house special even station in Moose Point on the island off of Maine on second keyup. Also worked 12,15,17,20 meter DX just listening on the bands, tuning in, and keying up. Did not miss a single contact with more than two tries. As evening set in, made several 40m contacts, all with great reports. Checked into the 3.902 Century Club Early 75 Meter net and got 15 contacts shortly from everyone wanting to call that loud mobile station in Birmingham, AL where I was at the time. Some say screwdrivers have problems while vibrating on the road.. I held long QSO's while running the interstate with California, Florida, NC, and Virginia. Solid QSO's on all of the bands, including 75meters. I never noticed fluctuating SWR, but knowing how the motor works, I tuned to the frequency lowering the antenna, and then bumped it back up to lowest SWR while raising to be sure the motor locked solid while under a load. Worked great. Not sure if this is needed, but, it is mechanically the best way to treat the physics of any vertical screwdriver in my opinion.
Wes is great, can't say enough about his service, the reasonable price and what appears now to be an antenna that will last quite a while.
I'll post something again, after a few months of using the antenna, but I suspect that it will be another happy review.
Will post some pictures later on www.KJ4SLY.com, once I pull the mount back off and paint it, etc.