Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpine screwdriver antenna
 Alpine screwdriver antenna Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $210.
Description: HF mobile screwdriver antenna, 80-6 meters, with integrated matching coil.
More info: http://www.alpineantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

K7ZGQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2016 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still using my screwdriver and it is still going strong. Today I took the little guy apart and made a few modifications here and there to insure that the antenna will function for a atleast 10 more years. I put some gunk glue on the wire inside the screwdriver itself to make sure the wire does not rattle loose and added on another piece of wire making the connection a little stronger by putting a knot on the wire on the inside so it will not pull out. I also put a little antiseize on the screw section to keep it lubricated. I read a review previously and a gentleman said he was burned by the RF while tuning at 100 watts. There are many resources available to make a choke on your power wire to prevent this. Blaming a control box for improper installation is a little ridiculous. For the money you can't beat these antennas and as long as you maintain it with proper care I see no reason why you will ever need to replace an Alpine screwdriver antenna.

KD0JUD Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2016 15:09 Send this review to a friend
I broke Wes' antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
On January 6th 2016, I managed to get my vehicle tangled in some trees that took out the driver's side mirror and snapped my Alpine SP-100 in half at the base. Catastrophic damage.

After talking to Wes he wanted the antenna returned to verify it was repairable. After a few weeks Wes told me what the plan of attack was going to be and the cost. I've happily operated that antenna for 2 years, everywhere!

Imagine my surprise as I opened the tube to find a fully functional antenna that looked new.

There isn't a practical way to thank Wes and his business sense in dealing with customers. Just REMARKABLE! Thanks Wes, I'm always singing your song when asked what antenna I'm using, "It's an Alpine!".

Michael
KD0JUD

AD1ET Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2015 10:27 Send this review to a friend
5 for Performance, 3 for Build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this for one week so very new to me. I would love to have given this a 5 all around however. . . The performance in my application is excellent. A clear 5 there. The build quality, however, is a bit less than I would expect. Screw holes are not indexed so, if not marked be sure to do so before removal. The plastic cover on mine had a broken screw hole on the top and a cracked one on the side. Functional but not top quality. The plastic cover on mine binds on the antenna tube and needed to be shimmed on one side under one of the top screws so the antenna would move on the low power setting. Tuning the antenna on 100 watts I got an rf burn from a screw that goes to a terminal block inside the control box. Not smart, I know, but still something I would not expect. So, be warned, tune at low power and a couple of ferrite chokes on the power leads would be a good idea. Have an email in to Wes about the rf issue. Will post his advice when I hear from him. So, it gets a 4 from me. Great performance, average build quality.

W7JBM Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2014 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna Reasonably Priced  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wes has great customer service, I have had this antenna a few years now and have had excellent contacts for example, Salem,Oregon to Dublin, Ireland or Salem, Oregon to Christchurch, New Zealand while mobile. I have had reports such as "that is the best sounding mobile setup I have ever heard". I am a very happy customer of Alpine Antenna. My setup is Yaesu FT 857D, barefoot to the model 100 BP Alpine Antenna. Wes Rocks!

KD0JUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Best decision for HF mobile antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From the research of Alpine Antennas all the way through the installation and operation, there's only one word to describe the product and the support.......SUPERIOR!

The workmanship, quality of materials, and of course the fair price were the principal factors that influenced me to purchase the 100SP screwdriver antenna from Alpine. As you read the other reviews and the reviews of other producers of this type of antenna, realize the "other guys" are embroiled in identifying who is the best and through bragging rights are laying claim to your wallet.

If you're looking for durability, performance and personal attention to your installation, purchase from Alpine. I've received several phone calls from Wes and he's committed to having satisfied customers. I made some funny yet serious mistakes, and when the shared laughter ends Wes is in your corner to get your install completed.

I haven't owned the equipment for very long, yet I am fiercely loyal and impressed with Alpine Antenna. I could afford this HF mobile antenna without consulting a loan officer at my bank and Wes has seen to it that it performs and performs well.

You do have choices..... make one you can live with and enjoy all the HF bands can offer......Alpine just makes sense, I love it!

Thanks Wes for your tireless interest in my project and the genuine selfless participation you offered in the completion of it.

KD0JUD
Michael

W7CH Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 14:26 Send this review to a friend
W7ch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered this antenna from Wes as a portable quick on and off antenna for my RV. On when camping and off when traveling, I made my quick disconnect mount and the antenna bounces around in the RV storage compartment when traveling including a quick 1/4 turn mount for the whip it has been doing this for about three years now and performs excellent. we have been traveling the South West for the last two winters so it sees a lot of use and a lot of travel time on its side never failing and performing well. Now I'll tell you about the service from Wes. I ordered this antenna from California and he mailed it to me in just a few days, after ordering it sent to my home QTH in Washington State When it arrived at my local Post office I received notice from them , went to pick it up and all they handed to me was an empty cardboard tube I explained the tube should weigh a few pounds and they just shrugged and said sorry charlie! I called Wes and explained the situation he said no worries he would make another and send it.In just a few short days the new one arrived well taped on the ends of the cardboard tube I might add! Wes is number one when it comes to antennas and customer satisfaction as this story proves. give this guy and his products a try you wont be sorry. I visited Wes at-the Yuma ham fest last year and he is a great guy, I am looking forward to seeing him again this year in February.
RogerO, w7ch, Manson Washington.

K7ZGQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Still tickin!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Alpine screwdriver since 2010 and have beaten it smashed it hit it with every strange experiment that I could muster in the mad scientist workshop and it still works.........perfect! So I added it in as a permanent part of my home antenna system since it is so good. 5-btv with a alpine screwdriver.

W5RJH Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wes was great to work with from the initial talk we had about possibly getting the antenna all the way to the point where it was installed on my jeep. It works well and is built solid. The shipping was fast and the antenna arrived well packed ready to install. I built my own control box but if the quality of his controller is comparable to the quality of the antenna he makes I'm sure its good.
thanks

ZL2TZE Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 01:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna for your Dollar  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can say is this has to be the best Mobile Antenna for your Dollar. I take my hat off to Wes he is a man of his word, the service is great and no question or help I asked for went unanswered.
Like most others I was looking for the best value antenna I could afford and this Alpine Antenna BP1 won my heart hands down. I had tried Mobile whips of the same cost and tossed them away for a KA6ELK Alpine Screwdriver Antenna.
I use the Mobile daily and I get good reports from all over the world even had a great speed test while mobile at 160 Kms and there ws no noticeable difference at 100 to 160 Ks. The workmanship is top notch !! I have added some clamp on ferrites to all the leads of the Antenna and controller I also purchased the motor upgrade the original is still fine ... I would say the antenna will out last me.
I have it mounted on my Toyota Surf ( see qrz.com )I did all the bonding and more .. Thanks Wes I am impressed !!!
73 Phillip ZL2TZE

K4PIM Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Value, Nice Antenna and noadditional tuner needed.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided on a mobile antenna, because my summer location in NC is on the SW side of a steep mountain, and with my fixed setup (Icom 718, Icom AT-500 tuner and 31' vertical), I cannot get signals out to the N and E, covering the Eastern seaboard and Europe. I decided in the Alpine Screwdriver because of the excellent reviews here on eHam
I am very happy with my new Alpine Screwdriver mobile antenna. The ordering and shipping process went smoothly and both the antenna and control box arrived as promised. The installation on the rear bumper of my truck was simple and went without a hitch, following the written instructions provided by Wes. Initial tuning was relatively simple, using as guide the number of turns exposed, again provided by Wes. After tuning on 20 M, I immediately made contact with another Ham. Tuning the higher bands (10 through 20 M) was easiest, and once tuned in approx. center, there is no need to re-tune across the band. 40M meter requires some retuning. The 80 M was trickiest because of the larger travel of the coil and the very sharp peak. Just carefully watch the SWR meter.* Re-tuning is required as you move across this band.
After tuning at the center of each band, I marked the tube with a black permanent marker, which can be seen from the cab. Returning to another band, and finding the tune is thereby made simple.
I have made about 10 QSOs so far on 15 and 20 M, and signal reports ranged from S5-8
In summary, this antenna is a good value and a nice addition to my toys. I can now drive my truck to high locations and reach around the compass. I made a ground wave QSO on 15 M from Waterrock Knob on the Blue Ridge Parkway (5820 ft.) to a ham in TN, estimated 80 miles away!
*I don't recommend tuning while driving!