Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpine screwdriver antenna
 Alpine screwdriver antenna Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $210.
Description: HF mobile screwdriver antenna, 80-6 meters, with integrated matching coil.

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

K6JHU Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me explain my situation. I have 3.5 acres but I also have CCR's. No tower, no beams. So I am using the screwdriver antenna in a vertical ground plane configuration. 26 radials, each 33' long on the ground. 102" whip instead of the recommended 72" whip.

I entered the recent RTTY contest using PSK31 and about 40 watts. Logged a D2 and an LE1 (at 59 each). Thought nothing of it until I looked them up! So to say that the antenna performs like a champ is an understatement.

I am also in one of those places where winter weather is an issue. When I drive the antenna (with a 13.8 VDC supply) it just goes. No matter what the weather. The sleeve over the top to keep the water out really helps. It is built with heavy gauge metal that looks like it will stand up forever.

I use the method of placing gorilla tape on the support post and visually lining up the antenna with the tape. Tuning is very sharp, so if you can watch the SWR as you tune, 1:1 SWR is easily achievable on 15-80. Because I am using a 102" whip I can only get down to 2:1 SWR on 10m but the antenna tuner takes care of that. Should go down to 1:1 with the 72" whip

I keep the two grounds separate. The antenna is physically mounted to a 6' galvanized rod driven into the ground. Then I drilled a hole in an Aluminum plate and slipped it over the galvanized. The ground wires and the coax return are connected to the plate.

Wind gust here, since I have installed the antenna, has been up to 62 mph. Didn't faze the installation one bit. To be expected since it is a mobile antenna. But no car rear deck to protect it here. Antenna takes the full brunt of the wind and weather.

Considering that this a compromise for what I would really like to have installed, this antenna more than meets my expectations and at this point, even if I could change to a new system, I wouldn't. This antenna works great. As a previous poster said, WOW.
K1RC Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2012 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Easy install-Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Model 100BP antenna from Wes. Talked to him on the phone at length about the install. What a great guy who knows his stuff about antennas.
We both agreed that the preperation of the vehicle before the install makes all the difference.
Received the antenna in about 4 days and the install took about an hour from start to finish.
Its mounted on a 2011 Dodge Journey SUV. The mount is 2" x 1/2" thk Aluminum flat stock bolted
directly to the frame. Great, no engine noise, no
computer noise, no nothing. The mount exits thru the reflector in the bumper which makes for a neat
Wes makes a great 2-speed motor controller that works super. The antenna tunes easily on all bands and I added some stripeing tape on the plexiglass tube for the resonant points on each band.
I can tune to resonance by looking at the ant in
the rear view mirror.
All in all, its a great product with super Tech
support from Wes.
The Secret: Do your research, prep the vehicle mount and the installation will go without a "Hitch". Pun intended.. Great Antenna Wes....
KJ4SLY Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2011 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Guy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WOW! is what I have to say initially. I purchased the 100SP model with the two speed controller(very nice) from Wes. I fabricated my own bracket off of the side of the Reesed hitch. Got it out and up. 5 inches diagonal from the tail light, 32" from the ground. Worked out nicely. Took off just after I got it installed. 4 Hours on the road both ways, 2 days apart, during the day from 1 until 5pm. Worked everything from 6m to 80m nicely. The tuning learning curve was very short. Super easy to tune once you figure it out. Like Wes said, low power on AM, and tune right to it with the SWR meter. After that, a bump here and there an you are resonant. 1.0 on most to 1.5 on every thing else. Switching bands is easy considering there is more than one resonant area on most bands, so you can work 75 and 17 or 40 and 6 with a bump of the controller.
I stayed on 10meters most of the trip. It was open, and I never keyed up more than twice, even in the pileups to Spain and Portugal without getting a 5/8-5/9 report back. Worked a 10m pile up from a light house special even station in Moose Point on the island off of Maine on second keyup. Also worked 12,15,17,20 meter DX just listening on the bands, tuning in, and keying up. Did not miss a single contact with more than two tries. As evening set in, made several 40m contacts, all with great reports. Checked into the 3.902 Century Club Early 75 Meter net and got 15 contacts shortly from everyone wanting to call that loud mobile station in Birmingham, AL where I was at the time. Some say screwdrivers have problems while vibrating on the road.. I held long QSO's while running the interstate with California, Florida, NC, and Virginia. Solid QSO's on all of the bands, including 75meters. I never noticed fluctuating SWR, but knowing how the motor works, I tuned to the frequency lowering the antenna, and then bumped it back up to lowest SWR while raising to be sure the motor locked solid while under a load. Worked great. Not sure if this is needed, but, it is mechanically the best way to treat the physics of any vertical screwdriver in my opinion.
Wes is great, can't say enough about his service, the reasonable price and what appears now to be an antenna that will last quite a while.
I'll post something again, after a few months of using the antenna, but I suspect that it will be another happy review.
Will post some pictures later on, once I pull the mount back off and paint it, etc.
KK5EDD Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Delayed Reaction Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an Alpine screwdriver antenna a couple of years ago but never got around to installing it.
I did have a problem at that time (the carrier played football with it or something) but a call to Alpine solved that in a hurry!
I finally got the antenna installed and operational today and immediately checked into my OMISS net with it. I made four contacts with it on the net - it works flawlessly! Now I wish I hadn't waited so long to use it.
KC5PGZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2011 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great - Bought a second one  Time owned: more than 12 months
Spoke with Wes today and ordered another Alpine screwdriver antenna. I have been running one now for 2-3 years and still love it. There are no external shunts or coils to add, it is built in! Much simpler to maintain and in my opinion better stability. Can't wait to get the second one installed on the other truck and see how it goes. Wes offers excellent support and a great product.
K0GVT Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2011 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had a license for over 50 years and was just getting back in to the hobby after 25 years away. We were planning a trip to Alaska for three months in our fifth wheel and wanted to take the rig with me. I looked on line at various mobile antennas and was impressed with the reviews for this antenna. I like chasing DX on 20 CW and SSB. I have been getting great reports from all over the world with 100 watts. Wes delivered the product in a timely fashion and gave me several follow up calls to see if I had any problems or questions. I can't recommend the product highly enough.
KI7DG Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2011 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off. 1. would I purchase this antenna again? YES 2. Is customer support available? YES THE BEST 3. Would I recommend this antenna to a friend? YES.

I was heading out to the lake in July and placed an order hoping to get it before I left. Wes went out of his way to see that I got it ASAP. This antenna is replacing a hustler 4BTV. I was looking for something a little easier to install when out camping with the trailer. With the ladder bracket, problem solved! I ordered the complete package controller. I had an old 102" whip antenna which I used in July and it worked some what but the recommended antenna whip is 74" so out came the hacksaw. That was a great improvement when I went back to the lake in August. Construction of the antenna and its controller is solid. Wes had marked where to hook the antenna and ground. The power line on the antenna already had a powerpole connector attached with extra powerpole connectors for the other end. I used a marking pen to mark the coil for the center operating freq of the bands I wanted to operate on. Using that mark and the Autek antenna analyzer allowed me to fine tune for lowest SWR. Worst case so far was 1.5. It makes my LDG tuner obsolete, almost. Performance: I have a group I work on 75 and in July with the 102" the performance was somewhat degraded (band conditions-?) but in Aug with the 74" it was on a par with the 4BTV ( band conditions-?) The point being is the stations in Washington and Oregon that I heard could also hear me on my Yeasu FT 840 so the antenna is doing what I expected of it. NOW how many companies would call a customer to see if every thing is OK?, ....... Wes did!!
N6NJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 08:19 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Alpine antenna used from a friend and had a little trouble in the begining getting it matched but after talking to Wes I found that I was doing it all wrong. Shorty after buying the antenna I broke the gear on it by holding the switch too long. Wes repaired it for me at a very reasonable charge and sent it back. Now that I have the grounding and height above ground fixed I get glowing signal reports. The antenna is mounted on the rear of my 2003 Crown Vic. Yesterday I worked Gordon WB6NOA on the 7250 net and he said, Don't change anything, its working great. The performance and the price of the Alpine Antenna are superior. Thanks to Mr. Don Johnson for sharing his design with us all.
W6VK Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2011 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Aatenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi Wes,
I felt that I must send some KUDOS your way for all the help you have given me on getting my Alpine antenna to work properly with the installation that I have on the truck.
You always seem to be genuinely interested and concerned when I have called for advise or help.
I now have the antenna working absolutely gang busters and am sure I will enjoy throwing the strong signal out there for all to hear.
Thanks again for your great service.

Terry Miller.......W6VK
NA6TE Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the BUCK $$$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
You couldn't ask for a better service oriented person as Wes. The Alpine Antenna works very well on my 2004 Mazda (I know don't say it)and he has always been available for question & answer periods. The upgraded motor is strong and very quiet.(way quieter than original screwdriver motors) and still only draws less than 500ma.
Since the Mazda presented a problem for mounting a ham friend (W6VK)came up with a mount that is attached to the right rear corner by means of uni-strut attached to the the only piece of metal which is a transport tie down. The antenna base is only 8" off the ground. The only draw back is when your wife calls it the freak mobile (they just don't understand)