Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpine screwdriver antenna
 Alpine screwdriver antenna Reviews: 49 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $210.
Description: HF mobile screwdriver antenna, 80-6 meters, with integrated matching coil.
More info: http://www.alpineantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

KK5EDD Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Delayed Reaction Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an Alpine screwdriver antenna a couple of years ago but never got around to installing it.
I did have a problem at that time (the carrier played football with it or something) but a call to Alpine solved that in a hurry!
I finally got the antenna installed and operational today and immediately checked into my OMISS net with it. I made four contacts with it on the net - it works flawlessly! Now I wish I hadn't waited so long to use it.

KC5PGZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2011 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great - Bought a second one  Time owned: more than 12 months
Spoke with Wes today and ordered another Alpine screwdriver antenna. I have been running one now for 2-3 years and still love it. There are no external shunts or coils to add, it is built in! Much simpler to maintain and in my opinion better stability. Can't wait to get the second one installed on the other truck and see how it goes. Wes offers excellent support and a great product.

K0GVT Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2011 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had a license for over 50 years and was just getting back in to the hobby after 25 years away. We were planning a trip to Alaska for three months in our fifth wheel and wanted to take the rig with me. I looked on line at various mobile antennas and was impressed with the reviews for this antenna. I like chasing DX on 20 CW and SSB. I have been getting great reports from all over the world with 100 watts. Wes delivered the product in a timely fashion and gave me several follow up calls to see if I had any problems or questions. I can't recommend the product highly enough.

KI7DG Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2011 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off. 1. would I purchase this antenna again? YES 2. Is customer support available? YES THE BEST 3. Would I recommend this antenna to a friend? YES.

I was heading out to the lake in July and placed an order hoping to get it before I left. Wes went out of his way to see that I got it ASAP. This antenna is replacing a hustler 4BTV. I was looking for something a little easier to install when out camping with the trailer. With the ladder bracket, problem solved! I ordered the complete package controller. I had an old 102" whip antenna which I used in July and it worked some what but the recommended antenna whip is 74" so out came the hacksaw. That was a great improvement when I went back to the lake in August. Construction of the antenna and its controller is solid. Wes had marked where to hook the antenna and ground. The power line on the antenna already had a powerpole connector attached with extra powerpole connectors for the other end. I used a marking pen to mark the coil for the center operating freq of the bands I wanted to operate on. Using that mark and the Autek antenna analyzer allowed me to fine tune for lowest SWR. Worst case so far was 1.5. It makes my LDG tuner obsolete, almost. Performance: I have a group I work on 75 and in July with the 102" the performance was somewhat degraded (band conditions-?) but in Aug with the 74" it was on a par with the 4BTV ( band conditions-?) The point being is the stations in Washington and Oregon that I heard could also hear me on my Yeasu FT 840 so the antenna is doing what I expected of it. NOW how many companies would call a customer to see if every thing is OK?, ....... Wes did!!

N6NJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 08:19 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Alpine antenna used from a friend and had a little trouble in the begining getting it matched but after talking to Wes I found that I was doing it all wrong. Shorty after buying the antenna I broke the gear on it by holding the switch too long. Wes repaired it for me at a very reasonable charge and sent it back. Now that I have the grounding and height above ground fixed I get glowing signal reports. The antenna is mounted on the rear of my 2003 Crown Vic. Yesterday I worked Gordon WB6NOA on the 7250 net and he said, Don't change anything, its working great. The performance and the price of the Alpine Antenna are superior. Thanks to Mr. Don Johnson for sharing his design with us all.

W6VK Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2011 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Aatenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hi Wes,
I felt that I must send some KUDOS your way for all the help you have given me on getting my Alpine antenna to work properly with the installation that I have on the truck.
You always seem to be genuinely interested and concerned when I have called for advise or help.
I now have the antenna working absolutely gang busters and am sure I will enjoy throwing the strong signal out there for all to hear.
Thanks again for your great service.

Terry Miller.......W6VK

NA6TE Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the BUCK $$$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
You couldn't ask for a better service oriented person as Wes. The Alpine Antenna works very well on my 2004 Mazda (I know don't say it)and he has always been available for question & answer periods. The upgraded motor is strong and very quiet.(way quieter than original screwdriver motors) and still only draws less than 500ma.
Since the Mazda presented a problem for mounting a ham friend (W6VK)came up with a mount that is attached to the right rear corner by means of uni-strut attached to the the only piece of metal which is a transport tie down. The antenna base is only 8" off the ground. The only draw back is when your wife calls it the freak mobile (they just don't understand)
Nate........NA6TE

N5UD Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2011 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Classic design, works !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the model 100 SP with the plexiglas cover. I think you need the cover for coil protection and for tuning marks. I have a five foot whip atop the coil. Also quick whip disconnect so I can remove the whip quickly while standing on the ground. This will get under the hwy 13.5 limit.

Looks like the classic Don Johnson screwdriver design. Has the necessary shunt coil built-in. Connect coax center to screw above the grooves cut into aluminum the mast. Attached shield to mount or ground. Weight of antenna is not a major concern. Worked well mobile on my pickup 10-40 meters. 40 meter 2:1 bandwidth is about 50 Khz. I mounted it above the bed, and behind driver. I can see my band tuning marks on the plexiglass cover from mirror for 10-20 meters. So manual tune in daylight is easy. If SWR means anything, usually well less than 1.5:1 could be adjusted with manual motor tuning.

Wes is good to work with. He wants your antenna system to work. I found a problem with fluctuating SWR while in motion. That change is now incorporated in his antennas. I also see he is offering a better motor. The original screwdriver motor may not work with auto tune controllers. The motor upgrade should.

In summary, a good mobile antenna. Especially considering the price. Easy to mount on your vehicle and use. Some of the other mobile antennas are beasts. 10-20 meter performance seems as good as any other mobile antenna.

K6HRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2011 08:30 Send this review to a friend
winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I competed, in the Quartzfest Antenna Shoot-out last week, with the Alpine Screwdriver antenna mounted on top of the ladder on a class c RV. I won first place in the 100W all screwdriver category (40 meters) consisting of all of the leading brands. Although this is not totally scientific, it is a good indicator of performance. The antenna system impedance as measured on a MFJ 269 is Rs 50, Xs 7. I also have been getting good reports on 60, 30 and 17.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2011 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Last summer I bought the black 100BP model with the plexiglass cover-- more expensive but better
protection. I didnt want to cut any holes in my
new Honda CRV so I used a double trailer hitch
mount on the rear so I could easily pull the
antenna out and lay it down to access the rear hatch. Plenty of ferrite cores were used on the
coax and the power lead right at the antenna and a good braid ground was attached from the base to the frame of the car. This was all in preparation for a trip across Canada in early September. The pundits of mobile antennas are very down on trailer hitch mounts but if I were to choose between cutting a hole in a new car and no mobile at all I would choose the latter! During the trip I was able to talk for hours back home to my neighbor, work all over Europe and into Asia as well as all over North America with 100 watts. I was very happy with Alpine's screwdriver antenna to say the least! Mechanically and electrically it is very well constructed and really does the job well! Congratulations to Wes on a great product and the product support via email was great too.