Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpine screwdriver antenna
 Alpine screwdriver antenna Reviews: 49 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $210.
Description: HF mobile screwdriver antenna, 80-6 meters, with integrated matching coil.
More info: http://www.alpineantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

W8FTX Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2009 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Just a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been thinking of the best way to review this antenna, but so many have already used up all the adjectives I wanted to use so instead I’ve collected some of their thoughts, and added some of mine at the bottom
• Undoubtedly one of the best antennas
• I just love it !!!
• Easy to install and easy to remove
• I use it daily on 80m and always get great reports.
• Based on the reviews I had seen for this antenna, I opted to purchase one from Wes
• buy an Alpine Screwdriver Antenna
• I mean it really worked!!!!

While I haven’t had the opportunity to buy similar antenna’s that cost anywhere from $400-$2500 from fellow hams. I think that they only want to become rich and that’s all right, I don’t blame them for that.

On the other hand, Wes isn’t trying to become rich overnight, he’s charging a much lower price because while he can certainly use the extra money,he has told me that he wants to help his fellow hams. And he has certainly done just that with this product!

Buy now I’m sure you get the point,

Thanks Wes for being fair, producing a wonderful product, and so responsive to all my phone calls.
George
KC8OZV

W4TRH Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 17:59 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have spent some time thinking about what to say or how to pass on what I think about Alpine Screwdriver Antenna. All I can think of is to say is: If you are looking for the best constructed, best working screwdriver antenna for the best price on the market, buy an Alpine Screwdriver Antenna. Wes took the time to answer all my questions and respond to all my emails. I have been 100% satisfied with the antenna and would buy it again with no hesitation.

KX5R Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted the first review here after buying and installing this antenna on my Silverado pickup. It's been in service more than a year now and I'm raising my rating to a 5. My antenna runs with a Yaesu FT857D mobile. I seriously doubt that you can find a better performing screwdriver antenna or better customer service to back it up...at any price. As a business owner for almost 40 years myself I'm convinced that Wes has achieved what most of us strive for in our own business. This antenna is rugged, reliable, and priced right. And, did I mention the top notch customer service?

VK2LOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 17:28 Send this review to a friend
The Alpines Rock  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Undoubtedley one of the best antennas made.

I just love it !!!

I have used some much more exspensive antennas and find the performance here is just as good or maybe evan better.
When it arrived it took 15 minutes to fit on my existing mounting plate where I had coax and power cable from a previous antenna, the antenna looks great and very smart.
Wes provides a mounting bolt and alloy section to fit the antenna onto. Easy to install and easy to remove of the vehicle when needed, very easy to tune with a switch in the car just a couple of taps on the switch watching the swr meter on the ft857, I use 100 watts and get great performance on all bands including 80m. I use it daily on 80m and always get great reports. I have had many great contacts on 20m to the USA, Japan and New Zealand.
I use a 6ft 6inch by 3/16 stainless steel whip which tunes on all bands from 80m to 6m. Im looking forward to using this antenna on my next outback trip knowing that it will last the distance in our conditions here.
Wes provides a great service, he emailed me when it was posted to Australia and then check 7 days later to see if it had arrived then phoned me in Australia a month later on my cell to see how it was all going, the service cannot be any better.
The freight to Australia was also cheap.
What a well build antenna and very reasonbly priced.

KA6AWQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2009 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was very impressed with this antenna,it is easy to mount,tuning is easy and I get good reports with this antenna,Wes will answer any questions you may have and Wes
called to see if I was happy with the Alpine antenna.I RATING THIS ANTENNA 10
LARRY KA6AWQ

KE5ZQY Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2009 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WoW !! very impressed with this antenna, first off Wes is an awsome buisness man with a first rate product. The antenna arrived in 2 days via usps, it is well built and rugged, it has been a great performer even when compaired to mono band antennas like the all famos ham sticks works as well if not better, and totaly adjustable. Its not the fancy automatic like the sierras but could say that for the price its performace holds no comparison. Wes at alpine antenna will call you within a couple of weeks of the sale to confirm all works well and answer any question you may have, find that kind of customer service anywhere else. I have used this antenna mobile on my honda civic (LOL) for the last month and a half, and I can say that in the last month I have made more contacts on this antenna than any other I have owned. Thanx Again Wes!!!!

K5ETW Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Discreet base solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in one of those "Snooty" neighborhoods and needed something more discreet than my G5RVjr. I have a screwdriver antenna for mobile on my Jeep. After some experimenting, I decided on a roof mount screwdriver ant with radials cut for 10m thru 40m. I purchased an Alpine antenna from Wes. Transaction was easy and shipped fast.

I built a simple mount (12" steel plate base, 18" steel pole angle cut to match roof slope, 12" steel plate parallel to ground). I'm using a 72" whip. Once mounted and "On the Air" I can work 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 40m (SWR 1.5 or less) and 80 meter with acceptable (SWR 1.5 to 2.0, no radials cut for 80m). If I can hear it, I can work it. Tuning on 10m and 80m was a little tricky (not the antenna's fault) because of the roof mounting. Not being able too visually verify the position of the coil (all the way in or out) until I found the resonant point was cumbersome. But once I figured out the points it is easy to tune using the SWR meter or a field strength meter.

My QTH is in N TX. I was able to get my first contacts with Japan and central russia. Regular contacts with N America, Northern S America, Caribbean, Hawaii, Western and into Eastern Europe. As expected with a vertical, I get contacts from 360 degrees. I was able to break thru numerous pile-ups during field day with 100w. That shows I am getting out there pretty good.

So if you need a "disreet" HF antenna that works as advertised and will not BREAK the bank, I would definately recommend Wes and his antenna.

73's
K5ETW

W5PCJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2009 20:21 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for your buck !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I started shopping for my first new screwdriver antenna I checked out a lot of companies on the web. I was looking for the most bang for my buck. Most companies if not all price there versions like there gold plated or made of "rare metals". I simply wanted a inexpensive antenna that was a good design and efficient. I am very satisfied with the antenna I bought. Nice to see a company that can make a product without trying to empty my wallet when I make a purchase. Oh and by the way I found out using a capacity hat on this antenna mainly allowed me to use a shorter whip depending on the diameter of the capacity hat. In other words bigger capacity hat diameter smaller whip same performance basically it just lets you use a shorter whip so overhead clearance is less of a problem. Thanks for great antenna. A friend of mine KA5MEI said that with it being narrow banded on the bands that this makes it higher Q or more efficient. He explained that a dummy load is very broad banded and that isn't good for a transmitting antenna, but yours he said should be highly efficient because of how coil is wound so great job and excellent craftsmanship. I'll buy another when the time comes or pass this one on to my son in a few years as I'm sure it'll still be kicking butt on hf so take that high sierra tarheel and scorpion yall won't be getting rich off me.

W6LC Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2009 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In these days of $500 for most run of the mill motorized mobile antennas to $1,400 for a gold plated "prestige" antenna, it was refreshing to find a screwdriver type mobile antenna for $150 that works better than most. I installed this antenna on our RV a couple of days ago and during tests on 20 meters broke a number of pile-ups with DX with 100 watts. I checked in with my crowd on 75 meters and it compared very well. I highly recommend doing business with Wes at Alpine Antenna. Unlike many companies, he actually wants you to be happy with his product

AD4GB Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2009 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I had been shopping for a screwdriver antenna for a long time but all the popular brands are so expensive and I could not bring myself to pay such elaborate prices for a mobile antenna. I started surfing the classified for a used screwdriver and came across Alpine Antennas, I checked them out on eham and saw the great reviews and bought one.
I installed my new antenna and wow what a performer! I am very pleased with the initial performance that I have with it, my first contact was with a fellow across the state on ground wave, then I made contact with the mid-west country cousins and got 5-9 reports all the way around from folks all over the U.S.and Canada. I was even able to cut through the pile-ups on 20 meters with the New England Qso parties! Also I was surprised to see it covered everything from 80-6 meters! Just like the other reviews said the owner of Alpine called me himself to ask how the antenna was doing and if I had any questions! I doubt any other antenna company would do that! They have my endorsement! Great quality also!

73's and God Bless,