Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpine screwdriver antenna
 Alpine screwdriver antenna Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $210.
Description: HF mobile screwdriver antenna, 80-6 meters, with integrated matching coil.

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

NF4P Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 22:26 Send this review to a friend
satisfaction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased from Wes great man much help the ears on this little antenna are exceptional I have a unibody car which was very hard to ground but that is not the fault of the antenna would buy again and once again I cannot tell you enough what a great man you are dealing with nf4p in Fla.Also there are not any other type mobil antennas I havent had Tarheel Hyq all this antenna for the money is in my opinion the best
KJ4IYK Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2009 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Follow up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well after two months,I can find nothing to complain about. That's quite unusual for me. If anything could possibly be a draw back to Wes's antenna, it is a little narrow. That only comes in to play if adjusting while driving, like I do. I found that the container for carbon hunting arrows fits perfectly for a weather guard and allows for marking each band line. I also found that the momentary switch is by far a necessity.(As Suggested) It allows for bumping, where a standard switch does not. I mounted mine to the rear bumper with the heaviest regular CB mirror mount I could find (like the K40 mount)and the ground on my Dakota was supurb. No need for ground strap as suggested. With very little effort I can get SWRs on every band flat in the center and no worse then 2:1 at the ends. 75m and 6m of coarse require extra effort but are better than most others I've used. I use it with a 706MKII and with a duplexer receive on 2m is also acceptable. I do not have a meter that does 2m yet so I can not say what SWRs I have there.I do not know how you could find an antenna that is built and performs like this one for less money. Wes has hit a grand slam with this one! Thanks Wes. I am working on how to mount and use it for a base antenna.
N4ZEN Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2009 17:39 Send this review to a friend
A fantastic product!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned several screwdriver antennas over the years and this is the best one to date. I have seen guys that have had the "Big Dollar" antennas and I can truly say without a doubt that Wes"s antenna will perform with the best of them at 50% or less in price. My installation was simple and effective. I work all bands with 1.5 or less swr. The quality of the antenna and materials it is made out of is outstanding. To tell you the truth, I really don't see how he sells them as cheap as he does. Also, Wes is an outstanding person to talk to and deal with. Wes even called me before my antenna arrived and gave me a couple of pointers. Shipping was outstanding. Wes received my money order in California on Monday afternoon, and my antennas was sitting on my porch on Wednesday afternoon in middle Georgia. My wife and I pulled into the driveway and she said your antenna is on the porch. I said no way that it could've gotten here already. Now is that quick or what? Keep up the good work Wes. And I will positively tell you, that if you are planning on getting a screwdriver antenna, you need to see Wes and buy one of the Alpine Antennas and save yourself a 'LOT OF MONEY".
W8FTX Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2009 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Just a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been thinking of the best way to review this antenna, but so many have already used up all the adjectives I wanted to use so instead I’ve collected some of their thoughts, and added some of mine at the bottom
• Undoubtedly one of the best antennas
• I just love it !!!
• Easy to install and easy to remove
• I use it daily on 80m and always get great reports.
• Based on the reviews I had seen for this antenna, I opted to purchase one from Wes
• buy an Alpine Screwdriver Antenna
• I mean it really worked!!!!

While I haven’t had the opportunity to buy similar antenna’s that cost anywhere from $400-$2500 from fellow hams. I think that they only want to become rich and that’s all right, I don’t blame them for that.

On the other hand, Wes isn’t trying to become rich overnight, he’s charging a much lower price because while he can certainly use the extra money,he has told me that he wants to help his fellow hams. And he has certainly done just that with this product!

Buy now I’m sure you get the point,

Thanks Wes for being fair, producing a wonderful product, and so responsive to all my phone calls.
W4TRH Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 17:59 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have spent some time thinking about what to say or how to pass on what I think about Alpine Screwdriver Antenna. All I can think of is to say is: If you are looking for the best constructed, best working screwdriver antenna for the best price on the market, buy an Alpine Screwdriver Antenna. Wes took the time to answer all my questions and respond to all my emails. I have been 100% satisfied with the antenna and would buy it again with no hesitation.
KX5R Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted the first review here after buying and installing this antenna on my Silverado pickup. It's been in service more than a year now and I'm raising my rating to a 5. My antenna runs with a Yaesu FT857D mobile. I seriously doubt that you can find a better performing screwdriver antenna or better customer service to back it any price. As a business owner for almost 40 years myself I'm convinced that Wes has achieved what most of us strive for in our own business. This antenna is rugged, reliable, and priced right. And, did I mention the top notch customer service?
VK2LOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 17:28 Send this review to a friend
The Alpines Rock  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Undoubtedley one of the best antennas made.

I just love it !!!

I have used some much more exspensive antennas and find the performance here is just as good or maybe evan better.
When it arrived it took 15 minutes to fit on my existing mounting plate where I had coax and power cable from a previous antenna, the antenna looks great and very smart.
Wes provides a mounting bolt and alloy section to fit the antenna onto. Easy to install and easy to remove of the vehicle when needed, very easy to tune with a switch in the car just a couple of taps on the switch watching the swr meter on the ft857, I use 100 watts and get great performance on all bands including 80m. I use it daily on 80m and always get great reports. I have had many great contacts on 20m to the USA, Japan and New Zealand.
I use a 6ft 6inch by 3/16 stainless steel whip which tunes on all bands from 80m to 6m. Im looking forward to using this antenna on my next outback trip knowing that it will last the distance in our conditions here.
Wes provides a great service, he emailed me when it was posted to Australia and then check 7 days later to see if it had arrived then phoned me in Australia a month later on my cell to see how it was all going, the service cannot be any better.
The freight to Australia was also cheap.
What a well build antenna and very reasonbly priced.
KA6AWQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2009 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was very impressed with this antenna,it is easy to mount,tuning is easy and I get good reports with this antenna,Wes will answer any questions you may have and Wes
called to see if I was happy with the Alpine antenna.I RATING THIS ANTENNA 10
KE5ZQY Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2009 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WoW !! very impressed with this antenna, first off Wes is an awsome buisness man with a first rate product. The antenna arrived in 2 days via usps, it is well built and rugged, it has been a great performer even when compaired to mono band antennas like the all famos ham sticks works as well if not better, and totaly adjustable. Its not the fancy automatic like the sierras but could say that for the price its performace holds no comparison. Wes at alpine antenna will call you within a couple of weeks of the sale to confirm all works well and answer any question you may have, find that kind of customer service anywhere else. I have used this antenna mobile on my honda civic (LOL) for the last month and a half, and I can say that in the last month I have made more contacts on this antenna than any other I have owned. Thanx Again Wes!!!!
K5ETW Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Discreet base solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in one of those "Snooty" neighborhoods and needed something more discreet than my G5RVjr. I have a screwdriver antenna for mobile on my Jeep. After some experimenting, I decided on a roof mount screwdriver ant with radials cut for 10m thru 40m. I purchased an Alpine antenna from Wes. Transaction was easy and shipped fast.

I built a simple mount (12" steel plate base, 18" steel pole angle cut to match roof slope, 12" steel plate parallel to ground). I'm using a 72" whip. Once mounted and "On the Air" I can work 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 40m (SWR 1.5 or less) and 80 meter with acceptable (SWR 1.5 to 2.0, no radials cut for 80m). If I can hear it, I can work it. Tuning on 10m and 80m was a little tricky (not the antenna's fault) because of the roof mounting. Not being able too visually verify the position of the coil (all the way in or out) until I found the resonant point was cumbersome. But once I figured out the points it is easy to tune using the SWR meter or a field strength meter.

My QTH is in N TX. I was able to get my first contacts with Japan and central russia. Regular contacts with N America, Northern S America, Caribbean, Hawaii, Western and into Eastern Europe. As expected with a vertical, I get contacts from 360 degrees. I was able to break thru numerous pile-ups during field day with 100w. That shows I am getting out there pretty good.

So if you need a "disreet" HF antenna that works as advertised and will not BREAK the bank, I would definately recommend Wes and his antenna.