Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | TECSUN PL-600 Help

Reviews Summary for TECSUN PL-600
TECSUN PL-600 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $85.00
Description: FM STEREO/AM/SW/LW SSB DIGITAL WORLD BAND RECEIVER WITH 600 MEMORY PRESETS
More info: http://www.tecsun.com.cn/

You can write your own review of the TECSUN PL-600.

K8DXX Rating: 2/5 Oct 18, 2011 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Recent units won't charge batteries  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like most have said, the fit, finish, smoothness of the controls, apparent sturdiness of the whip antenna are better than expected. The wall wart is very nicely made. The display is not up to the calibre of even a cheap ($600) entry level ham rig but it is more than adequate. The tuning meter seems to give meaningful indications of relative signal strength but only on short wave. On AM and FM, it seems relatively useless, so far.

Tecsun apparently has corrected the audio distortion on strong signals. AM sounds great. FM and FM Stereo are also very good. Short wave and SSB/CW reception is a mixed bag but mainly good. The PL-600 is amazingly sensitive even up on 10 meters. On just the whip antenna, I was able to copy SSB signals on 10, 15, 17, 20, 40 and 80 meters. Under today's conditions, our Degen 1102 is almost deaf(using the whip). The Degen also overloads worse when an external antenna is connected. I was surprised but WWV on 15 MHz seemed to overload the radio just a bit; the attenuator seemed to help. The only strange part is how the synthesizer seems to make those 1 Khz steps. There is no chuffing or switching sound when tuning AM signals. However the receive frequency seems to jitter when going up or down each KHz, making it difficult to tune SSB with the main tuning dial. The BFO in most cases allows you to tune the signal in.

The only problem I've had is that the current production run of PL600s appears to have battery charging problems. So far, I've had two shipped to me and both will not charge. Three other reviewers on Amazon report the same problem. I hope Tecsun can provide me with a properly functioning unit.

All things considered, this is a great radio for $60.88 delivered. Fit, finish, sound, display, wall wart are far superior to the Degen 1102. Sensitivity, particularly on short wave seems much better (ability to easily hear signals on the upper HF ham bands). SSB reception although not ideal is much easier than on the Degen. In terms of performance, I'd say this radio is about equal to my old Heathkit Mohawk receiver from the early 1960's (aside from selectivity). It weights under a pound. The Mohawk must have weighed 75!

ZACH0000 Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2011 12:38 Send this review to a friend
The good is even better but ....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
PL 600
This is the latest newcomer in my Chinese radios collection bought this year 2011 Jul from a local importer of Dx material which originally seems imported form Portugal !! . I dunno but the radio is possibly modified by the Portuguese importer as the filters and the audio is not the same with PL 550 and some ... are added to the original PL600
The radio except from its typical MW SW FM bands includes LW , AIR and SSB operation that are not available in the 550 model . Tough the design is the very same with 550 it is a completely different model in characteristics and operation
As for example:
550 - 600 freq dialing : 600 requires dialing execution after numbers are dialed . 550 requires enter before and after freq is dialed
Attenuator works also for MW on 550 . IN 600 att does not work
Earphones of 600 are very narrow filtered good only for talk (at 2,5 kHz ) . 550 ears are better (>6 kHz )
Freq step for 550 is 1 kHz for AM , 50 kHz for FM . For 600 are 1kHz and 10 kHz respectively
FM bandwidth on 600 is possibly narrower than 550 . (below 180??) . and surely quite narrower than 200 . May DX station are heard in clear , while on 200 are under severe QRM in overcrowded reception points as mine . IN several occasions FM stereo stations are heard in mono .....
PL600 has also LW and AIR bands enabled by the system but I really can't hear anything!!!!
So my verdict is : 5 for MW FM 1 or AIR and LW total rating 4 !

VE3LNY Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2011 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for about a year now. Rather than repeat what's already been written, let me just note what I like and dislike about it:

1. Has a tuning knob. This is the reason I bought it, having used a YB400 before and wore down my fingers pushing the tune buttons.
2. Built-in charger. The battery condition is clearly shown on the display. Batteries last a long time, and don't need to be removed to be charged.
3. Good reception on AM and FM.
4. Great price.

Dislike
1. Was shipped without a manual. I had to download it.
2. Picks up some intermod on mid-SW bands, when a good antenna is connected. This sounds like 2 strong stations being received at the same time here and there on the band.
3. Setting the time is a nuisance (but no worse than the YB400). Why can't I do it while receiving WWV? The clock doesn't keep particularly good time.

Overall I am very happy with this radio.

K4YAB Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 05:01 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased mine new for $54.95 in July 2011. The same day I bought mine they went up to $69.95 The radio performs great. Very sensitive even on low bands. THE AUDIO ON THE BROADCAST BAND IS EXCELLANT...some have said that the sound is poor. BUT IT IS WHAT I LIKE, JUST LIKE THE GREAT OLD SOUND OF THE 1930-1940S RADIOS ON AM.
Once the SSB BFO is set I can tune to another ssb freq (Example on 40 meters and the bfo stays right on frequency to decode the signal.
Nicely built, high quality, good quality Telscoping antenna ...not some cheap breakable one. The Radio lay out looks great.
The only thing is The menu has a lot to remember how to use. The manual that came with mine was very poor.. but I found a Excelent manual online I downloaded. The website is www.fmuser.com.

KE5JDJ Rating: 3/5 Feb 5, 2011 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Interference Prone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is very suceptable to interference. I gave it a 3(+) for overall SW receiver and I look forward to the resistor modification to improve the sound. For it's price class it is 4.5+ rating. For the price, $75 shipped from eBay, it is worth purchasing again. I don't expect something to match my FRG-7, FT-107, or FT 857d etc. I think it is a great unit for camping, catastrophe', etc. and I appreciate the rechargeable batteries that came with it and ability to plug in a wire (short one included). The SSB control selection is not intuitive. I would purchase again for the niche' it fills.

IZ0PXT Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Very good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the radio form China for XMAS, I already own a DEGEN DE 1103, but the PL 600 ears better and is more sensitive and selective.
I am very happy with it.

73 de IZ0PXT

W8YG Rating: 0/5 Jan 8, 2011 02:16 Send this review to a friend
Bad Bad Bad bad bad!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one radio that should have never left China. Horrible Horrible radio. This thing sounds so bad I was considering committing suicide.a Has no selectivity at all / well it does the off switch.. The only thing it would be good for is a punishment for QRMers. Oh yeah tie them to a chair and leave this on SSB for 24 hours and they will never QRM again!!!
I was going to give this radio a 2 but there is no helping it. ITS A DOG WOOF WOOF!!!!

VK3VMS Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2010 02:30 Send this review to a friend
Bloody brilliant for it's price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hey there, I bought this little gem off eBay for only AU$60 +$AU24 postage...
This little HF/AM/FM/LW portable compares favourably to my old FRG-7700 as well as my Icom IC-R20, it is just so darn sensitive, especially with the 3 position switch in the DX position - but when you are receiving a strong signal, it is a very good idea to turn the volume down a little, so as not to blow the speaker out of the box :-)
I did do one little mod to the supplied wire antenna, added about 6-8 metres of wire onto it and the results are even better than the standard length it comes with - my QTH is down the bottom end of Australia and I am easily able to receive Utility stations from the Northern Hemisphere, not to mention hams from the US, UK and Canada, without any problems whatsoever!!!
The option of 2 bandwidths helps too.. It has 600 memories to store all your favourite listening targets too - all in all a 5 out of 5 from me.

Mike - VK3VMS

KC4CQS Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2010 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had many portable receivers such as Sony 2010,ICF-SW55,Grundig G5 and the list goes on. Good bang for the buck,Yen or whatever. Oh well they own alot of the USA anyway! Well they have a pretty good receiver for the buck. Easy to use, sensitive as good as the G5 or better. Better access to the memory system. Grundig is poor in that area. Compared side by side with the G5 and Kaito 1103 and SW-55 sensitivity and selectivity comparable maybe better. For the money you can't beat it. For a receiver to check band conditions from another location I would recommend highly! Comparisons mainly on SSB where we operate mostly. Good for Military and Civil transatlantic air traffic. SW performance is also very good. No it's not a 2010 but it's close. For the money it's a good deal. You can get em from several distributors on EPAY oops I meant EBAY. 73!

LOCKWORKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2010 18:14 Send this review to a friend
A very fine radio at a reasonable cost.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned quite a few radios and one of my favorites the Kaito 1103 has been replaced. I recently acquired an excellent PL 600 and I'm really impressed with the sensitivity and sound. Tecsun must have addressed the sound problems noted in earlier reviews as mine sounds excellent. It closely compares to my Grundig 750 in performance and features even the display appears to be the same size.