Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-2100B/Z Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-2100B/Z
Yaesu FL-2100B/Z Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $200.00
Description: fl2100b
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-2100B/Z.

M0WEM Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 06:04 Send this review to a friend
FL2100Z GREAT STUFF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Versatile multi-band amp (FL2100Z ( inc. WARC ).

Had mine for a while and works well on all bands.

Driven by the FT101ZD3 as the exciter, 20 watts in gives 200w out, and it loafs along.

Pointless beating it to death with loads of drive.

Would have liked it to had illuminated meters, but that is a minor gripe.

I built an external soft-start circuit for the amp, as it kept tripping the main breaker in the shack if i used it DOL.

Recommended, but treat with care (like most things in life.)

Happy Daze, Howard in the UK

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2014 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice medium power amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently added a near mint FL2100-B to the shack. Not that it needed it, but for piece of mind I decided to replace the filter caps, diodes, resistors etc. Cost a total of $65 from DigiKey and two hours work. Now I don't have to worry about the caps exploding. Shows just under 2400V on the plate, with the amp powered by a dedicated 120V 20A circuit. My Swan PEP meter shows about 800W out on 20M with 120W drive, but I dismiss that to meter accuracy. I usually run it at about 500W out with 60W in, and 300W out on RTTY. Quick to tune, get great reports on both signal and modulation. For me this power level is all I need. My only complaint, is the meters are not lit, but I am looking at adding LED lighting to take care of that.

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Compact & works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amplifier does as well as any other in its class. I have had no issues with mine and it has all original parts except for the tubes.

I only use tubes which have a proven good performance record and I'm careful to tune & load quickly & correctly and only into a good load.

I average about 750w PEP out with 75-100w of drive.

I have done no modifications whatsoever and honestly see no need to.

These are workhorse amplifiers and will usually last a long time if taken care of.

IZ0EAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the model FL2100B for about 10 years. I've always used the amp with a pilottaggio of 80 watts and antennas have low SWR 1.1 and I can say that the amplifier has always worked well without giving me any problems. In these 10 years I have not been very active and the amplifier has been stopped for about four years without ever being turned on. 2 years from now I began to do radio in a consistent and well my FL2100B had no problem to resume his work. Sper to be useful to someone leaving the following data:

Power input max 80 watts
Voltage HV 2400 volts
band 80 mt output 850 watts
band 40 mt output 850 watts
band 20 mt output 850 watts
band 15 mt output 730 watt
band 10 mt output 650 watts

Measurements with antenna SWR 1.2 and ROS Daiwa model CN801.

What else to say .... A GOOD LINEAR!!

73 de Angelo IZ0EAE

KK4IBG Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2012 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Great AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got one recently and it had a badly vaporized band switch in the 80 and 10 meter position , the rotors and contacts Gone. I found one in Canada from a friend NEW!!! still in the BAG! 5 hours and 30 pic's later I have a great amp, Cetron tubes, It works and performs very well.It also cleaned up well and has the plastic still on the front. My FT-101E station is complete.
Easy to work on , easy to tune and the tubes are always avail. some mods need to be done but I think its worth it you find a good one.

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Apr 5, 2012 08:51 Send this review to a friend
An okay amp but not wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of the B models when I first got my general. They are okay but suffer from some design issues and some parts issues. The amp is very quiet but cooling could stand to be better. The small metal blade fans used really dont move enough air for my liking and the amp will get pretty hot after some good ragchews. This in itself isnt a huge problem that cant be solved by placing a small muffin fan on top of the amp...but if you need to add fans that tells me the ones inside arent doing the job. The power supply seemed a little anemic but adequate for the task. Mine would do 600w pep out with no sweat. You could push it harder but theres no point in beating it to death and gaining nothing. Nobody on the other end will notice a hundred more watts and your signal will splatter like hell if you run one that hard. Tune up is relatively smooth and easy on all the bands it covers. The horizontal tube mounting can create problems for hams using newer 572B's from Russia or China and the bias circuit quite frankly sucks in this amplifier. Some are prone to taking off into orbit due to insufficient cut off bias. With some TLC and a few minor mods this can be a decent amp for the money. A good "beginner" amp with all the minor warts worked out of it. The problem now is they are old enough that its hard to find nice ones that arent beat into the ground. Also, some parts would be near impossible to find unless you have a donor junk amp to get them from. Unless you like to tinker, a new ham would be much better off buying an AL811 to be honest.

Fixing old amps may be fine for hams who enjoy working on them but a new ham usually doesnt want to bother patching up old relics just to get on the air. And if they lack the knowledge to safely repair or modify an amp it can be dangerous or even fatal. If you find a clean working one thats been properly reworked by all means scoop it up, otherwise....youd be better off getting something newer. These have been around well over 30 years so you know the caps are on the way out before you even take off the cover if its all stock inside. The one I had for several years only failed on me once and it was a minor issue. At the time I was unaware of its design flaws but I had Cetron tubes in mine and it never had bias issues or run away problems. Unfortunately, 572B's have changed and this amps warts become obvious.

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Apr 5, 2012 08:49 Send this review to a friend
An okay amp but not wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months

KJ6OPN Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Great and VERY Happy!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using this amp with a Kenwood TS-570S. I used the Ameritron ARB-704 to interface it with the newer style rig. PEP Watt Meter show it putting out over 1 Kw(1000 watts) for most and just under for some bands. I love this amp!

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2011 01:37 Send this review to a friend
find it, buy it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are legendary, they work, bomb proof and with valves/spares easily acessed on the net, they represent great value for money.
If you see one for sale, buy it....... 5/5

SV9OFO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2011 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Fine Business  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got it free from a friend in a bad shape, but transformer was in a good shape and bandswitch had survived the punishment - that is all that was fine. Tank circuit caps replaced with much more robust types (yaesu put junk in it), HV choke rebuilt, and a fresh pair of chinese tubes along with the foxtango and W8JI mods for it (a fuse 630mA and a 22ohm R right before the tank safety short switch).

The amp will crank up to 600W SSB easily in all bands up to 20MHz (400w on 10m) and since legal limit is 500w where I live, I shouldn't ever even wish for more.

It is stable when you get to know it. During initial testing I blew a pack of 10 630mA fuses, each event could have cost me the transformer, the choke, the bandswitch or more. But Thomas Edison made the fuses so that they can protect your investment, so opt for them.

Now that I know all the steps to fire it on, i.e. a glimpse on the bandswitch before loading and using that dummy load position on my MFJ tuner, FL2100Z is totally predictable and loads up like a charm.

for the sum of $100 for the tubes, doorknobs and fuses, This could have been the cheapest 500W I have ever put on an antenna.