Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-2100B/Z Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-2100B/Z
Yaesu FL-2100B/Z Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $200.00
Description: fl2100b
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-2100B/Z.

WZ7E Rating: 2/5 May 3, 2010 20:01 Send this review to a friend
2100b buyers beware  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was surprised to see these rated above a 4.
Probably because the only survivors are the better examples of an overall poor design. Many parts seem overly vulnerable to failure including the fixed capacitors, meters, HV rf choke, parasitic suppressors, band switches, tubes, etc. Good grief, I even had to drill out half the screws just to swap out bad parts. I also see several mods, including full blown websites devoted solely to reworking these bombs.
Mercifully, my shack is now 2100b free and I will happily survive with my trusty sb-220 and al-84 amps.

AA0CX Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2010 08:42 Send this review to a friend
great Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my FL-2100B about a month ago from a friend. The amp is in great shape, and puts out a solid 550-600 watts CW on all bands using 120 volts. Here's the scoop: I live in a 3-story apartment building, and my antenna is my downspout/gutter combination fed with LMR 400 using chicken wire for ground radials next to the foundation of the building. So far, no dreaded "knock on the door" from the neighbors. Everyone in the building seems to be on satellite TV (most units in this 18-plex seem to have a dish up). No problem with the building owner -- he knows, and gave me permission to load up the downspout.

The amp is great, it's all I need, I've been working some nice DX with it, and it can be run off 120 volts without making the lights in the place dim or tripping the breaker for the living room (shack)
73- Mark

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 20:36 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I PICKED UP THE FL 2100B FROM A FRIEND, IN REALLY CLEAN CONDITION THAT HAD BEEN STORED FOR 15 YEARS.. HAD SOME RAT CHEWED WIRES. PAID A COUPLE HUNDRED FOR CLEANUP AND SERVICEING , 500$ TOTAL IT WORKS GREAT WITH MY KENWOOD TS440.. 600+ WATTS AND NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. VERY PLEASED..

WS2L Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 30+ years of being a ham this was my very first HF amp. I have the FL2100F and I purchased it from a friend for $325 last year. Still in excellent condition inside and out I average between 500-600 watts on all bands. I know that there are a lot better amp's out there but I am in a unique situation. I live in a rented house and do not have a 220 line anywhere in my apartment so having an amp that runs on 110 forces my choices. Another friend of mine had owned the FL-2100 and he gave it a good rating so I trusted his word and have not been disappointed yet.

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2009 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Quality never goes out of style!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this FL-2100B amplifier off E-bay for $450 and I am very happy with it. It appears as essentially new and unused. It has a new pair of Svetlana 572B tubes installed. The appropriate minor mods for these new tubes, as recommended by Yaesu and RF parts, had already been done. These quality tubes perform well and they output perfectly on all bands with 500 to 700 watts respectively.

I am driving this amp with an equally mint FT-901DM and this combination has been superb! I studied again all the Ameribomb amplifiers and decided once again to buy an older vintage machine instead. (The first time I bought a Collins 30-L and have been exceptionally pleased with it) Fox Tango net-resource is the education and only resource that you need to keep it running. With a small and easy to build transmit-relay to key these amps, most all modern transceivers will drive them.

My point is this. These older amplifiers are worth considering for several reasons. 1) They are from a more quality driven era. 2) They are bargains relative to the expensive modern-day offerings. 3) And they if need be, can be refurbished with new tubes and capacitors and you will learn a great deal more - to enhance your amateur radio hobby! 73's from K4SPS

IW1DFU Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Good choice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great Amp! I've got the Z version (with WARC included) and I really love this small big amp. With a new set of Tube the output is 700W on 40 mt and abt 650 on higer bands. The 572B are cheaper and easy to find. Inside it's well done and easy to manage and modify. The input tuned circuits are a big plus on warc. I've made some mods: soft warm up and added a cuple of fans on the top to let the air flow better inside and keep it cold. If you find an used one, get it! The Z version is the best choice-

WB2BM Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2008 05:38 Send this review to a friend
Good AMP!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got mine from ebay about a month ago. Was very clean with almost no dust inside and still has the original plastic on the front. Puts out 800+ on ssb. Have not used it on long rag chews yet so don't know how hot it can get. In stand by mode it stays cool wich is a plus. There were 2 problems with the amp when I first plugged it in. First problem was that the keying cucuit was constantly keyed upon power up. This was fixed by replacing the 2.2uf capacitor in the keying curcuit, took some time to diagnose this problem. The second problem was a bad 1000pf doorknob capacitor in the grid curcuit that was broken in half rendering the amp totally innoperable. I could actually see this through the top without taking the cover off! With the new capacitors it works flawlessly. The band switch issue was noted to be a problem by Yaesu and is not a big problem if it is kept clean and not abused. I do plan on replacing the power supply capacitors in the future also. I recommend this amp for those who don't mind opening up the case and doing some work under the hood once in a while. I am looking forward to many years of service from this box.

REMOVED_EX_NQ2T Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2008 21:15 Send this review to a friend
great amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The FL-2100B resembles the legendary HK SB200, very compact,space saver and performer. I have done some mods to make it a little better. Some of them develop parasitcs oscillation, very easy to fix. Mod are very well documented and ready available on the internet.
If you have one, keep it, the FL2100B is one of most compact reliable amplifier ever made by yaesu.
73/nq2t

WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Dynamyte Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my amp from a ham that said it was not operational. the mainline fuse would blow upon power up. Through a small amount of trouble shooting I discovered there was a cathode to grid short on one of the tubes. 5 diodes on the rectifier board were also open. I replaced the diodes and the tubes and i have worked 82 countries in the past 3 months. It puts out a solid 700 watts on SSB. For what I paid for it and what I have gotten in return it was a real steal.

K5BJM Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2007 16:00 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a solid 750-850 Watt Amp. I continuosly use it at 700 Watts at 85 watts drive with my Icom 7000. It has always performed perfectly. Unit still has plastic on the front and still looks like new. I think I will always have this one around. I always get great audio reports. No distortion no TVI on SSB. This is a GREAT AMPLIFIER!