Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-2100B/Z Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-2100B/Z
Yaesu FL-2100B/Z Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2000.00
Description: fl2100b
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-2100B/Z.

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Apr 5, 2012 08:49 Send this review to a friend
An okay amp but not wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of the B models when I first got my general. They are okay but suffer from some design issues and some parts issues. The amp is very quiet but cooling could stand to be better. The small metal blade fans used really dont move enough air for my liking and the amp will get pretty hot after some good ragchews. This in itself isnt a huge problem that cant be solved by placing a small muffin fan on top of the amp...but if you need to add fans that tells me the ones inside arent doing the job. The power supply seemed a little anemic but adequate for the task. Mine would do 600w pep out with no sweat. You could push it harder but theres no point in beating it to death and gaining nothing. Nobody on the other end will notice a hundred more watts and your signal will splatter like hell if you run one that hard. Tune up is relatively smooth and easy on all the bands it covers. The horizontal tube mounting can create problems for hams using newer 572B's from Russia or China and the bias circuit quite frankly sucks in this amplifier. Some are prone to taking off into orbit due to insufficient cut off bias. With some TLC and a few minor mods this can be a decent amp for the money. A good "beginner" amp with all the minor warts worked out of it. The problem now is they are old enough that its hard to find nice ones that arent beat into the ground. Also, some parts would be near impossible to find unless you have a donor junk amp to get them from. Unless you like to tinker, a new ham would be much better off buying an AL811 to be honest.

Fixing old amps may be fine for hams who enjoy working on them but a new ham usually doesnt want to bother patching up old relics just to get on the air. And if they lack the knowledge to safely repair or modify an amp it can be dangerous or even fatal. If you find a clean working one thats been properly reworked by all means scoop it up, otherwise....youd be better off getting something newer. These have been around well over 30 years so you know the caps are on the way out before you even take off the cover if its all stock inside. The one I had for several years only failed on me once and it was a minor issue. At the time I was unaware of its design flaws but I had Cetron tubes in mine and it never had bias issues or run away problems. Unfortunately, 572B's have changed and this amps warts become obvious.

KJ6OPN Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2012 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Great and VERY Happy!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using this amp with a Kenwood TS-570S. I used the Ameritron ARB-704 to interface it with the newer style rig. PEP Watt Meter show it putting out over 1 Kw(1000 watts) for most and just under for some bands. I love this amp!

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2011 01:37 Send this review to a friend
find it, buy it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are legendary, they work, bomb proof and with valves/spares easily acessed on the net, they represent great value for money.
If you see one for sale, buy it....... 5/5

SV9OFO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2011 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Fine Business  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got it free from a friend in a bad shape, but transformer was in a good shape and bandswitch had survived the punishment - that is all that was fine. Tank circuit caps replaced with much more robust types (yaesu put junk in it), HV choke rebuilt, and a fresh pair of chinese tubes along with the foxtango and W8JI mods for it (a fuse 630mA and a 22ohm R right before the tank safety short switch).

The amp will crank up to 600W SSB easily in all bands up to 20MHz (400w on 10m) and since legal limit is 500w where I live, I shouldn't ever even wish for more.

It is stable when you get to know it. During initial testing I blew a pack of 10 630mA fuses, each event could have cost me the transformer, the choke, the bandswitch or more. But Thomas Edison made the fuses so that they can protect your investment, so opt for them.

Now that I know all the steps to fire it on, i.e. a glimpse on the bandswitch before loading and using that dummy load position on my MFJ tuner, FL2100Z is totally predictable and loads up like a charm.

for the sum of $100 for the tubes, doorknobs and fuses, This could have been the cheapest 500W I have ever put on an antenna.

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
I dont know about anyone else but my Fl2100b has been rock solid despite a lighting hit. The only problem was a bulb in the lighted switch for standby.

This amp is a great first amp, stand by, or main amp for anyone. No it's not a flashy piece but it works like a champ and in my estimation is built like a tank.

WZ7E Rating: 2/5 May 3, 2010 20:01 Send this review to a friend
2100b buyers beware  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was surprised to see these rated above a 4.
Probably because the only survivors are the better examples of an overall poor design. Many parts seem overly vulnerable to failure including the fixed capacitors, meters, HV rf choke, parasitic suppressors, band switches, tubes, etc. Good grief, I even had to drill out half the screws just to swap out bad parts. I also see several mods, including full blown websites devoted solely to reworking these bombs.
Mercifully, my shack is now 2100b free and I will happily survive with my trusty sb-220 and al-84 amps.

AA0CX Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2010 08:42 Send this review to a friend
great Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my FL-2100B about a month ago from a friend. The amp is in great shape, and puts out a solid 550-600 watts CW on all bands using 120 volts. Here's the scoop: I live in a 3-story apartment building, and my antenna is my downspout/gutter combination fed with LMR 400 using chicken wire for ground radials next to the foundation of the building. So far, no dreaded "knock on the door" from the neighbors. Everyone in the building seems to be on satellite TV (most units in this 18-plex seem to have a dish up). No problem with the building owner -- he knows, and gave me permission to load up the downspout.

The amp is great, it's all I need, I've been working some nice DX with it, and it can be run off 120 volts without making the lights in the place dim or tripping the breaker for the living room (shack)
73- Mark

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 20:36 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I PICKED UP THE FL 2100B FROM A FRIEND, IN REALLY CLEAN CONDITION THAT HAD BEEN STORED FOR 15 YEARS.. HAD SOME RAT CHEWED WIRES. PAID A COUPLE HUNDRED FOR CLEANUP AND SERVICEING , 500$ TOTAL IT WORKS GREAT WITH MY KENWOOD TS440.. 600+ WATTS AND NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. VERY PLEASED..

WS2L Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 30+ years of being a ham this was my very first HF amp. I have the FL2100F and I purchased it from a friend for $325 last year. Still in excellent condition inside and out I average between 500-600 watts on all bands. I know that there are a lot better amp's out there but I am in a unique situation. I live in a rented house and do not have a 220 line anywhere in my apartment so having an amp that runs on 110 forces my choices. Another friend of mine had owned the FL-2100 and he gave it a good rating so I trusted his word and have not been disappointed yet.

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2009 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Quality never goes out of style!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this FL-2100B amplifier off E-bay for $450 and I am very happy with it. It appears as essentially new and unused. It has a new pair of Svetlana 572B tubes installed. The appropriate minor mods for these new tubes, as recommended by Yaesu and RF parts, had already been done. These quality tubes perform well and they output perfectly on all bands with 500 to 700 watts respectively.

I am driving this amp with an equally mint FT-901DM and this combination has been superb! I studied again all the Ameribomb amplifiers and decided once again to buy an older vintage machine instead. (The first time I bought a Collins 30-L and have been exceptionally pleased with it) Fox Tango net-resource is the education and only resource that you need to keep it running. With a small and easy to build transmit-relay to key these amps, most all modern transceivers will drive them.

My point is this. These older amplifiers are worth considering for several reasons. 1) They are from a more quality driven era. 2) They are bargains relative to the expensive modern-day offerings. 3) And they if need be, can be refurbished with new tubes and capacitors and you will learn a great deal more - to enhance your amateur radio hobby! 73's from K4SPS