Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 927 Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 927 Antenna Tuner
MFJ 927 Antenna Tuner Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $$275.00
Description: 200 watt automatically tuning weatherproof unit for outdoor use
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ 927 Antenna Tuner.

K6CRC Rating: 0/5 Jun 17, 2014 17:50 Send this review to a friend
dead  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally died after being flaky for a year. Last time I sent it in for service, it took several weeks to 'repair", but still didn't work right. I also have to fault DX Engineering for re-selling this P.o.S. product.

K6CRC Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2011 20:17 Send this review to a friend
OK for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner to use with a vertical wire supported by a 12 meter fiberglass sectional pole. The tuner was part of a DX Engineering system.

The tuner was sent back for repair in warranty, and it took 4 weeks to get it returned.

Manual is disorganized, and you have to read through it a couple of times to understand what is going on when troubleshooting.

It does tune the vertical antenna fairly well. But, it seems to 'lose' the band settings occasionally.

The case sealing seems marginal. I would not put it out in the snow or where there is any significant rain. I mounted my unit upside down on the vertical mounting pipe, and sealed all seams with 3M silicon goop.

Overall, it works well and is relatively inexpensive. Spotty MFJ service and quality, however.

KF5CZG Rating: 1/5 May 21, 2010 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Bad Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owned mine for 4 weeks. Bought it at Giga Parts. Yesterday it promptly failed. SWR is infinity. I use it at the base of my vertical and run 30W PSK31. May change my rating depending on how quick they (MFJ) fix it or give me a new one. When it aint broke, it works great. It does need external weather proof buttons for power, ant and tune. Plus some weather proof lights for ant and tune. Also, the cover is black and it gets real HOT from the sun. Jim

KF1C Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 04:48 Send this review to a friend
927 initial impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took all of 5 min to hook up. Mounted out near the G5RV (45ft) I have noticed a substantial increase in receive strength on all bands. 10 mhz at least double. I guess its no longer a G5rv but a ladder fed dipole with an automatic variable matching system. The 150' of coax from the shack to the antenna is no longer part of the antenna. Matches all bands.
Mounted the unit face down so the solid plastic is pointed towards the sky keeping out the rain. (look at the dxengineering website, that's the way they mount it on the vertical they sell with the 927 )
First contact CX 579 on 28mhz cw.
so far so good, in a year we'll see. ordered a lightening arrestor so it can hopefully survive out there.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2009 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my last review, I have added to my flagpole so it is now 44' tall. Tuner still works better than ever!

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2008 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Does All I Ask of It!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had NO problems with my 927 tuning a 23' Force 12 Flagpole Antenna with 12 on-ground radials of random lengths. Knowing that this device is NOT "weatherproof" like an SGC tuner, I have protected it with an over turned flower pot with a potted plant on top (part of the 'stealth' mentality you need when dealing with CC&Rs and unfriendly, Johnny-come-lately neighbors).

As far as adding a "window port" and "weatherproof buttons", that would just add to the cost.

Workmanship appears to be good.

This is one of MANY MFJ products that I own/have owned with NO problems AT ALL!!! Must have been a better grade of Chimps that put those particular items together.

K6LLO Rating: 3/5 Jun 29, 2008 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Can be made to work with modifications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this for marine use; needed a weatherproof unit. It arrived with a broken case; MFJ kind enought to send a case replacement. The board inside has a lot of features that cannot be used; it is basically the board of another product (suspect 929) which is enabled for automatic tuning option, and packaged in plastic weatherproof box. The box did not mate properly to the boad and metal base; there is a large gap far from weatherproof. This required sealing with silicone. Programming buttons and LEDs about activity are hidden in the box. I inadvertently touched one of the buttons when replacing the case; had to disassemple to make work. Finally after 2 hours of fiddling, it works and is weatherproof; tunes well and rapidly. Shoddy mechanical design, solid electronic design. If they had mounted waterproof buttons on the case and had a window port, it would have been quite good. I have seen this with MFJ before. It appears that they use chimpanzees for final mechanical design and construction. I would have rated it lower, but it does actually work.