Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-927 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-927
MFJ-927 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $$275.00
Description: 200 watt automatically tuning weatherproof unit for outdoor use
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-927 .

N4SRN Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2017 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Ant Farm  Time owned: more than 12 months
Acquired as part of a DX Engineering 43ft Vertical Antenna Kit, this tuner worked well the first year but started going online and offline year 2. It finally stopped altogether last month so I sent for a SGC SG-235 to replace it. I pulled the old unit and opened the case to find it inhabited by many very tiny ants. The high voltage points were encrusted in a pile of carbonized ants, which probably shorted the system. MFJ had advised against sealing the case with silicone caulk to allow minimal air exchange, so only the tiniest ants could invade, even though I had insecticide granules spread regularly at the antenna base. It might still work, so I'll give it a 4 based on inability to effectively seal it against insect ingress.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2017 21:33 Send this review to a friend
Works extremely well surprised   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used new in box unit and connected it to my 200' horizontal skyloop. Works awesome. I can't believe that it even tunes down to 80m. Really pleased and surprised. I have had some pretty poor experiences with MFJ. This unit works excellently.

KF5HVW Rating: 3/5 Feb 24, 2015 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Has to be a better unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First one was DOA

Second unit works but is not impressive

I plan to try one of the new LDG-RT-100 Remote Tuners and compare

KF5HVW Rating: 1/5 Feb 23, 2015 17:39 Send this review to a friend
I DO NOT Recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First unit was DOA.

Second unit works, but is very unreliable.

Takes an excessive amount of tuning if it will tune at all.

I plan to junk it.

W6LMP Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2014 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Works Pretty Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 927 came as part of a DX Engineering 43' vertical package in October 2009. It worked very well, very quick, and improves receive as well as tuning to an SWR of 1.2 or so on all bands except 160. The first unit lasted until April 2013 when it failed to tune on a couple of the bands. After trying the reset options, I replaced it with another 927 from DX Engineering. This one is still working fine. Well, maybe not totally fine. Both the original and this unit sometimes fail to come back to full receive strength after I release the PTT. Usually hitting and releasing the PTT a 2nd time solves it. If not, I hit the "tune" on my TS480HX and that always fixes it. Overall I like it a lot.

K6CRC Rating: 0/5 Jun 17, 2014 17:50 Send this review to a friend
dead  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally died after being flaky for a year. Last time I sent it in for service, it took several weeks to 'repair", but still didn't work right. I also have to fault DX Engineering for re-selling this P.o.S. product.

K6CRC Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2011 20:17 Send this review to a friend
OK for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner to use with a vertical wire supported by a 12 meter fiberglass sectional pole. The tuner was part of a DX Engineering system.

The tuner was sent back for repair in warranty, and it took 4 weeks to get it returned.

Manual is disorganized, and you have to read through it a couple of times to understand what is going on when troubleshooting.

It does tune the vertical antenna fairly well. But, it seems to 'lose' the band settings occasionally.

The case sealing seems marginal. I would not put it out in the snow or where there is any significant rain. I mounted my unit upside down on the vertical mounting pipe, and sealed all seams with 3M silicon goop.

Overall, it works well and is relatively inexpensive. Spotty MFJ service and quality, however.

KF5CZG Rating: 1/5 May 21, 2010 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Bad Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owned mine for 4 weeks. Bought it at Giga Parts. Yesterday it promptly failed. SWR is infinity. I use it at the base of my vertical and run 30W PSK31. May change my rating depending on how quick they (MFJ) fix it or give me a new one. When it aint broke, it works great. It does need external weather proof buttons for power, ant and tune. Plus some weather proof lights for ant and tune. Also, the cover is black and it gets real HOT from the sun. Jim

KF1C Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 04:48 Send this review to a friend
927 initial impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took all of 5 min to hook up. Mounted out near the G5RV (45ft) I have noticed a substantial increase in receive strength on all bands. 10 mhz at least double. I guess its no longer a G5rv but a ladder fed dipole with an automatic variable matching system. The 150' of coax from the shack to the antenna is no longer part of the antenna. Matches all bands.
Mounted the unit face down so the solid plastic is pointed towards the sky keeping out the rain. (look at the dxengineering website, that's the way they mount it on the vertical they sell with the 927 )
First contact CX 579 on 28mhz cw.
so far so good, in a year we'll see. ordered a lightening arrestor so it can hopefully survive out there.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2009 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my last review, I have added to my flagpole so it is now 44' tall. Tuner still works better than ever!